• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merit boards for D.E.O.

I just got the first glimpse of that today when my girlfriend went over the training requirements if I apply/am accepted into the 33rd MP platoon.

She's all : "You can't leave me for a whole summer.. I have needs..." It was a brilliant play on words. She's awesome.

P.S : She is actually supportive, but of course, doesn't want me to be gone for long periods none the less.

xmarcx said:
Is that what being married is like? Having to move and having no idea what to do with heavy immobile things?  ;D

No.  It also involves the spouse deciding she wants switch plates instead of switches in the brand new house.  Oh, and matching plugs.  And since the fuses are out, what about new light fixtures because the ones in the kitchen are kind of tacky and she's found some that would go great there and at the top of the stairs.  And since you'll be at the hardware store, what about picking up a new faucet for the kitchen sink -- the old one won't go with new light fixtures.  Don't worry, you can do the bathroom faucets next weekend.  Maybe change the lights in there too.  Don't be silly about a new toilet, it'll make more sense to change that when you get the new bathtub.  Also, the den downstairs you agreed would be your bar?  Well, it'll have to become the office because she can't decide what she wants to do with the guest bedroom so she'll (you'll) do it in both spare rooms.

I miss my one bedroom apartment.

Although it isn't 100% official, it looks like I'll be seeing you in March 2007 for BOTP.

I'm looking forward to it!  Have fun in IAP!

Just as a heads up to those I've been chat chatting with - won't be going in January.  Apparently my file was sent to the merit listing without a background check, or so I'm told.  It seems it's been one long string of mis-communication after another.  Last time I called (last week) I was told my file on the computer was incorrect, and had me listed as Reserves Unskilled or something to that effect, despite going Regular Infantry Officer and my phone number wasn't there.  Before that I was told it was sent to the October merit listings, and to call back in two weeks.  Called back in two weeks, and it still wasn't sent.  Oh well... Sometimes are meant to be, others aren't.  Not sure what's next.  The individual I've been speaking with nearly every week, sometimes twice a week, has been very nice and helpful but I think I'll leave it to them for the next move.  I've been calling a lot since I first started this whole process back in July, I think it's time I just focus on other things and let happen what's supposed to happen.  Not bitter, just disappointed that it seems I'm constantly told different information every time I call.  All is well though.

For those that are going, have a great time!

Really sorry to hear that you aren't going to be joining us mate... I was hoping that it would get worked out... Best of luck in whatever you end up with mate... If you get in later, let me know.

ThainC said:
Just as a heads up to those I've been chat chatting with - won't be going in January... Reserves Unskilled... despite going Regular Infantry Officer and my phone number wasn't there.  Before that I was told it was sent to the October merit listings, and to call back in two weeks.  Called back in two weeks, and it still wasn't sent... I'm constantly told different information every time I call. 
Unskilled Reserves is a big difference from DEO infantry.  How could your file be that wrong if you were on top of things?  It is no big deal if you have to wait until May as you can prepare more (as I was able to do when I missed September) but you might not go then either unless your file gets straightened out.
On the other hand, applicant files seem to be sent to the merit boards all at once and not just as soon as they are ready, so there may also be no problem at this point.
Keep track of who you talk to and know who your file manager is.  Things should work out, but let us know.

Aye, it's a very large difference, one that took me by surprise and one that took the Corporal I was talking to by surprise.  She wasn't sure why it had me listed in Unskilled Reserve, especially since when I wrote the CFAT all the information was correct there.  It's not like I looked at the file myself, this is just what I was told when I went in there again to check on things (Was dropping in almost once a week, if not every second week for the last 2 months).

I told them I'd let them make the next call, and I was told it should be in a week or so.  Not sure necessarily about what, but I'm not too worried about it anymore at this moment.  There is no rush like there was before, and I can focus on other things in the mean time as well.

If it really matters to you, don't give up on it because of a few setbacks... And whatever you do, don't wait so long that one of us has the chance to become an instructor or something  >:D

exsemjingo said:
How could your file be that wrong if you were on top of things?

Yeah, god. If you really want in the military you're supposed to secret-ninja into your CFRC and access their computer system and double check everything yourself, you worthless failure.......... ::)

Aye clearly someone wasn't sending enough gifts to their file manager.  :tsktsk:

Don't get the thread locked :D

But Marc's right about one thing... To assume that this is ThainC's fault because he wasn't on top of the file enough seems unreasonable.

I don't think that was his intent all, so it's alright, but thanks for the defence.  I'm not writing it off or anything, but I realize I can't do anything more at this point and am going to focus on Christmas and other things.  I kind of figured all was well when I was told my file was going to the merit boards, which I assume only Officers go to... so I mean, that's just an example of the fouled up communication.  Hopefully things will be sorted out for the next one.  We'll see.

On the plus side, that means I can get in some more motorcycle riding next year.  Yeah, obviously I'm disappointed, very much so (7 months since I put in my papers...), but there isn't anything else I can do about it.  What will be, will be.

xmarcx said:
Yeah, god. If you really want in the military you're supposed to secret-ninja into your CFRC and access their computer system and double check everything yourself, you worthless failure.......... ::)
University registrars, Customer service reps, Bank managers, Military support personell... you'd be surprised at what can be accomplished by asking the right questions.
Let me know if you ever have to argue yourself out of a parking ticket.

Well Thain, that's a major bummer.  Look on the bright side though, you'll probably get to do IAP/BOTP in the warm Spring instead of the Freezing -30 temp like the rest of us suckers.
AND we'll be able to provide you with inside tips on what to expect.  The way I see it, you have an upper hand in the matter!
:D
Keep the dream alive buddy
:cdn:

Yeah, but we'll finish sooner... And be able to refer to him as a youngin, and keep telling him stories about 'back in the day, when I was at basic' :)

windsorftw said:
Well Thain, that's a major bummer.  Look on the bright side though, you'll probably get to do IAP/BOTP in the warm Spring instead of the Freezing -30 temp like the rest of us suckers.
AND we'll be able to provide you with inside tips on what to expect.  The way I see it, you have an upper hand in the matter!
:D
Keep the dream alive buddy
:cdn:

You really have to start to learn how to evaluate things.

-30 Temps in the dry snow versus +15 in the mud with mosquitoes, black flies, deer flies, horse flies, sand flies, and bears?

Thanks for evaluating that and painting the picture that much more positive, George ;)

We'll be able to give you the heads up so that you aren't so focused on everything else that you don't notice the bears?  >:D

George Wallace said:
You really have to start to learn how to evaluate things.

-30 Temps in the dry snow versus +15 in the mud with mosquitoes, black flies, deer flies, horse flies, sand flies, and bears?

I was trying to put a positive spin on his unfortunate circumstances, then you gotta go and put a nail in the coffin like that!  ;D

windsorftw said:
I was trying to put a positive spin on his unfortunate circumstances, then you gotta go and put a nail in the coffin like that!   ;D

That's OK.  I was only thinking of the Spring.  Never did describe the summer (and all four seasons in one day).  ;D

Back