• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Menu Foods Recall - Rat poison found in recalled pet food

CTV last night and this morning states that ALL Menu food is to be pulled from the shelves at the behest of Menu foods. Apparently some stores were not pulling the food off of the shelves.

I was at Safeway today and IAMS and Pet Priority are still on the shelves.

:cdn:
Hawk

CNN article : Second thoughts about pet food

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/blogs/paging.dr.gupta/2007/03/second-thoughts-about-pet-food.html

My cat is a maine coon cat, and has been brought up on both IAMS dry and IAMS cuts and gravy.

All of her food stores were from the tainted lots and now explains why she has been sick. I took her in about February and she got better, then brought her back about two weeks ago, just before the re-call. The vet until then the couldn't understand how (an otherwise super healthy cat) became so ill. She will be alright now but she went from an 18 lb cat to about 10 lbs. Maine coons are very large cats normally and the vet suggested is why she faired better than some.and the fact I brought her in soon after she was "acting" off.

Even if you suspect your pet ate the food, they should be brought in for a check-up. 

em

A second grain/grass ingredient has been found to be contaminated - rice.  http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/070418/world/pet_food_recall

Natural Balance Venison and rice dog foods have been recalled. (these are usually the foods that are given to allergy laden dogs as the venison is a different source of protein and the rice is one of the grasses that is least allergenic to the beasties).

We have two Chocolate Labs 1 and 2 years old.  The youngest has some allergy issues and just before the recalls we looked at some different food choices for her.  The NB Venison and Rice was high on the list but we decided to go with something else thankfully.  I had also been comtemplating a RAW/BARF diet but chose another premium kibble.  When the recalls hit I made the decision to go RAW/BARF and it has been great.  A little more cost and more preparation but I don't think these dogs will ever eat kibble or canned food again.

47b7da27b3127cce833534784d0c00000006100IbMnDRu4YsR

I hope nobody here is affected by this current recall.

Cheers,  Shayne

Our Safeway never has removed the IAMs canned food-but its on sale for a tremendous price! So far my Cleo's food-Friskies chunks and gravy, and Friskies kibble are fine, and she's her usual silly self.

I was interested that there's a rice dog food. We only have a cat at present, but years ago we had a Springer Spaniel. When we got here she had a stomach infection, and couldn't hold anything down. Her vet suggested plain boiled rice, as well as medication. So, every day, I boiled up a big pot of rice, and that's what she ate for probably the first month at our house. She thrived, went on Tuffys kibble and lived to a good age for a hunting dog. The down side, was every time I did rice for supper, she figured she should have her share-spoiled brat usually got it, too!

Incidently-those are two beautiful labs. Personal opinion-I think the chocolate ones are the prettiest!

:cdn:
Hawk

A third ingredient has now been found (it's confined so far to South Africa so fingers crossed it won't be found here) to be contaminated - Corn.  http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2007/04/20/southafrica-petfood.html

Back