• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mefloquine (a.k.a Lariam) anti-malarial in CF use (merged)

P

Pugnacious

Greetings!
Sorry for a another silly Civi question.

Is Lariam (mefloquin) still in use as an anti Malaryia drug?
I've heard bad things about it from TV reports and troops that have taken it with its nasty side effects, Paranoia  -Night terrors etc to name a few.

If they still do issue it..why?, And could a person refuse it and provide there own anti malaryia drug.

I was just wondering.

Cheers!
P.

I took Lariam in 2000 when I went to Zimbabwe to work and though I only bothered to take it for the first 6 weeks I didn't feel any kind of side effects, but that's just me.  My friend who I went with didn't experience any problems either.  I took 5-HTP and if you read up on the side effects of that you'll find people who talk about having increased dreams or nightmares and that is herbal medication!!

I stilll have the Consumer Information sheet Roche provides in the Lariam package and it states:

The following unwanted side effects have been reported to occur with Lariam: nausea, vomiting, dizziness, light-headedness or loss of balance, headache, sleepiness, inability to sleep, abnormal dreams, loose stools or diarrhea, and abdominal pain.  In rarer cases, loss of appetite, abnormal heartbeat, itching of the skin or skin rash, hair loss, eyesight problems, mucle pains, convulsions, and disturbances of mood (depressed mood, mental confusion, anxiety states) may occur.  Because many of these sysmptoms accompany malaria, it is often difficult to tell whether the symptons are due to malaria or are unwanted effects of 'Lariam'.  When 'Lariam' is used as malaria prevention, these events usually subside within a short period of time after drug administration.  If these adverse  events are not severe in nature and are tolerable, it is in your best interest to continue 'Lariam' since the consequences of contracting malaria are cause for greater concern.  It is best to avoid alcoloic drinks during treatment with 'Lariam'.

It also statesfor Special Precautions:

Lariam should not be used by:

1. Persons with a known sensitivity to mefloquine or related compounds. (Check with your Doctor).
2. Persons with a history of psychiatric disturbances.
3. Persons with a history of convulsions.
4. Persons suffering from severe liver or cardiac disease.
5. Woman who are or may become pregnant.
6. Nursing mothers
7. Children less then 3 yrs old.

So your saying Cananda still uses this drug in spite of the fact that members of our forces, and members of other militarys have have very serious psycotic side effects?  Just asking..I'd hate to join up, and then find out I'm going to be forced to take such a drug when there  are safer (yet more expensive) ones availble.

Cheers!
P.

Pugnacious said:
So your saying Cananda still uses this drug in spite of the fact that members of our forces, and members of other militarys have have very serious psycotic side effects?    Just asking..I'd hate to join up, and then find out I'm going to be forced to take such a drug when there   are safer (yet more expensive) ones availble.

Cheers!
P.

We did use this drug as of two years ago.   I preferred Lariam to the real risk of malaria.   I do not recall any "serious psychotc side effects" (visible) in any of the hundreds of lariam users I saw every day.  

The new doses are apparently smaller than they were 10 years ago, however I am no medical expert.  

I would not be afraid of joining up.   Contrary to what some might claim the Canadian Forces really do have your best interests at heart.

I had taken Mefloquine, in my 2001-2002 deployment, I beleave I took Mefloquine once a week, from what the doctor had told me, was that my blood work showed that I was more subceptable to malaria that than everyone else, they took doxycycline once a day.  I did have very vivid dreams, I often yelled in my sleep example Arrgh, this chair be high says I, Get me out of the box, and often I was told I would jump out of my rack in the berthing stand at attention and give drill commands, anyway I provided quite a bit of humor to the other Marines in the berthing. 

I beleave for malaria treatment you have either doxycycline or mefloquine, depending on what the medical doctors want, but after you get out of the Malaria zone you need to take Primaquine, for about 30 days.

Every drug has a list of crazy side effects, but it is alot better than contracting malaria. 

Speaking of Malaria, there was a report in the news that 5 CDN troops came down with Malaria in Afganistan.  Others are under observation.

Lariam, or Mefloquine, is the still the prefered anti-malaria drug of choice for the CF.  However, the medical community is much more proactive (as of 1 month ago) in terms of informing deploying personnel on the benefits and risks of taking the drugs.  You now have a choice of Mefloquine, Doxycycline, or Malarone.  Anytime you use a drug there will be side effects.

I used Mefloquine in Africa and didn't have too many problems.  I am now deploying to Afghanistan in August and I was quite happy to take Mefloquine again.  In Africa, I saw too many victims (sick, very sick, dying and dead) of malaria and am more than happy to take what the CF system recommends.

CFL, the report your referred to is true:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPPrint/LAC/20040621/AFGHANISTAN21/TPInternational/

Yes we still use Larium.  It is region specific,eg. Afghanistan gets it but Haiti doesn't. It has do to with the strain of malaria.  I took it 02 while in Afghanstan with only sleeping problems.  I know some who had very bad dreams but that was about it for side effects.

Thank you for you input.  :)
Yup malaryia is pretty bad.

Cheers!
P.

Consumer Information sheet Roche provides
Roche had some problems with their Acutane. Some people started killing themselves because the drug increases deppression.

Different drug.
Also Depression is a far cry from night terrors, and paranoia.
Glad to see you have alternative drugs now.

Cheers!
P.

"Different drug. Also Depression is a far cry from night terrors, and paranoia."

I'm aware of that, i was just sharing info. I was on Acutane and the doc recommended that I try to stay away from it.

Yes a good point!
Way back when I was 17 i was also on it..it was new then, and yes it worked great.
My doctor didn't know anything about depression being a side effect. 
And I have to admit ..there were some 'blue times'  nothing over the top though just out of character.
I know others that had far worse cases of deppression while on that drug.

I'm sure the Army will take good care of me...I hope.  ;D
Cheers!
P.

Yes-I;m taking it right now in preparation for deployment to Afghanistan: no problems except a slight stomach upset. I took Mefloquin in 1993 for seven months-no problems. The fact is that both medications have been extensively tested by both Canada and the US, and are considered safe by Health Canada (notoriously tight on giving certification...) There are some side effects, but they vary from person to person and most are mild. It is true that a very, very few people may develop side effects so serious that they cannot carry out their duty, but these are on the order of 1 in 200,000 cases. And, anyway, none of them are near as bad as getting malaria itself, which is a horrible disease that in some forms (such as cerebral malaria) can kill in an extremely painful way. I'd rather take the upset gut, thanks. Cheers.

Kirsten Luomala said:
Yes we still use Larium.   It is region specific,eg. Afghanistan gets it but Haiti doesn't. It has do to with the strain of malaria.  
There are even some regions that Malaria has developed a resistance to both drugs (I think around Cambodia, but I don't recall the location for certain).

Since when is malaria spelt with a "y"?
There is no other medication that can be used as long as Larium, nor can be produced as cheaply for its all round effectiveness. Patient compliance is also effective because its only taken once a week. Doxycyciline was used during the DART mission in Honduras. It was to be taken 4x a day and caused bad nausea to some of the troops. There were 25+ cases of malaria after that tour, and one unexpected pregnancy. Not very effective as a prophalaxisis either way.
The W.H.O. has terrific sites about travel medicine and the use of antimalaria medications.

And if it's use by the CF is enough to keep Pugnacious out of the military.... ;D

Pugnacious said:
I'm sure the Army will take good care of me...I hope. ;D
Cheers!
P.

I am SURE we will take care of you. :threat: :sniper:

Armymedic, next time I'm up there I owe you beers.!

Armymedic,
Malaria drugs inducing pregnancy!  :eek:
Don't let this get out or the ladies will have no use for us. :crybaby:

I'm curious about other's who know this information.  I assume that personnel heading to Afghanistan would be given some sort of anti-malaria drug while they are there.  Does the CF force those going overseas to take mefloquine or known by the company name Lariam?  I'm asking because I've read numerous reports that say that this drug has been scientifically linked with an endless list of terrible side effects.  It can cause horrible depression and quite a few suicides have been suspected from its use.  Also I recently read an article in which a group of American soldiers returning from Iraq were diagnosed with permanent brain damage caused by mefloquine.  There is a big controversy over this apparnatly and many are calling on the US government to stop using it and switch to one of the other safer alternative medicines avaliable to prevent malaria.  So for those of you who have been over to Afghanistan or know this type of info, does the CF force those deploying to use Lariam or are alternatives used?

Back