• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician Question

canada94

Inactive
Reaction score
I've done many searches over a couple days actually, even talked to friends of my parents who where in the forces who could not answer, nor could my freaking guidance councillor! So I decided I would ask you guys if you could help out..

"Medical Technicians must have completed high school with biology credits as well as secondary 5 chemistry and physics credits"

What does this mean? This highly interest me, I just don't understand what "secondary 5" means, whether they need to be College level courses or University, or how many courses I need, if anyone could clear this up it would be great.. or guide me to the answer on this forum (if there is I'm sorry I couldn't find it).

Anyone who could clear this up is greatly appreciated!

Mike

It means you need to have completed your senior year (senior matriculation) with credits in biology, chemistry and physics. The chemistry and physics need to be at the senior level.

The quote was written at a time when Ontario still had grade 13 (5 yrs high school). As long as you meet the general entry requirements for paramedic (PCP) training at a civilian institution, you should be OK. Take a look at the requirements for JIBC as a starting point.

I totally understand now, that makes sense!

This is perfect,

Thank you!

Mike

ModlrMike said:
As long as you meet the general entry requirements for paramedic (PCP) training at a civilian institution, you should be OK.

I don't think this is correct. I know that when I joined the requirements of the civilian school were up to me to figure out, but for my application to the military to be complete I needed to show proof that I had met their requirements...not the school's.

However, I haven't really been keeping up on any new requirements as this physics thing is news to me. I only had to have Biology and Chemistry. Perhaps it is Biology and Chemistry or Physics? It is very awkwardly worded.

I did say "should be OK". The default is the higher standard. For example, some schools don't require you have biology; the CF does. Ergo the CF standard must be met. Some schools require prerequisites the CF does not. Therefore their standards must be met.

Also to consider, if you get accepted into a CF approved college that offers the PCP program, you can enroll through the NCM-SEP pathway.

However you must meet the requirements for the school, apply and be accepted.  After which you have to meet the entry requirements for the CF.

What about mathematics? It's not specific on that, I'm seeing college's with Grade 12 math as a requirement while the Force's does not appear to. I'm also confused, I don't need to take physics? Or do I, my semester starts next monday.. I for sure have to clear my confusion up haha

Thanks everyone!

If you're looking to be a MedTech you will need both the physics and math.

ModlrMike said:

Grade 11 or 12?

As grade 11 is all thats required for a high school diploma,

Thank you for answering my questions.

Mike

ModlrMike said:

Last year when I got accepted, you did not need math.  Nor does it currently list math as a requirement on the forces.ca website. 

Qualification Requirements
Medical Technicians must have completed high school with biology credits as well as secondary 5 chemistry and physics credits, and hold a current driver’s license. This occupation requires dedication, a great capacity for hard work, and both the desire and the ability to perform detailed tasks for long periods under pressure without making mistakes. Above all, Medical Technicians must actively enjoy helping people.

Last year, you could have Physics in lieu of Chemistry, but Biology was still a must.  However, as seen above taken right from the current website, it now appears that physics is a requirement.  Best to ask a recruiter if you have any doubts. 

canada94 said:
Grade 11 or 12?

As grade 11 is all thats required for a high school diploma,

Thank you for answering my questions.

Mike

Again, it seems things have changed a bit since last year so best to get the most current answers from a recruiter.  But as it was before, the required courses had to be senior (as in grade 12 in Ontario), but could be either the college or the university Grade 12 courses. 

cn said:
Last year when I got accepted, you did not need math.  Nor does it currently list math as a requirement on the forces.ca website. 

Surprised to hear about the mathematics, as the PCP colleges in Ontario require it for admission.
Humber: "Grade 12 Mathematics (MAP4C, MCT4C, MDM4U, MCB4U, MGA4U, MCV4U or MHF4U)".
Centennial: "Grade 12 C Math (excluding Mathematics for Everyday Life MEL4E)".

mariomike said:
Surprised to hear about the mathematics, as the PCP colleges in Ontario require it for admission.
Humber: "Grade 12 Mathematics (MAP4C, MCT4C, MDM4U, MCB4U, MGA4U, MCV4U or MHF4U)".
Centennial: "Grade 12 C Math (excluding Mathematics for Everyday Life MEL4E)".

I agree, I found that interesting as well. 

But there is another private PCP college in Ontario that does not require math, CTS Canadian Career College. 

Even though it is not a requirement, math is useful to have. 

To be honest, if you're doing physics and chemistry 12 without the math, you're going to have problems - I seem to remember that it was largely analytical stuff, so if your math skills suck, you'll have problems with the others.

MM

cn said:
I agree, I found that interesting as well. 

But there is another private PCP college in Ontario that does not require math, CTS Canadian Career College. 

Even though it is not a requirement, math is useful to have.

Niagara college does not require math as well.

Hmm very interesting, tomorrow being monday I will contact my closest CFRC and get goodies hopefully, it doesn't involve me dropping and destroying my "easy" semester ;)

Mike

We seem to be excoriating the expired equine here.

Suffice to say that if you meet the requirements for both the CF and your school, you should be OK.

Just got off the phone with a recruiter from Barrie since I couldn't get ahold of any local recruiters hehe,

he stated I need minimum;

Grade 11 Biology (college)

Grade 12 Physics and Chem (college)

I asked about math and he stated I did not require grade 12 math.

Thanks everyone,

Mike

canada94 said:
Grade 11 Biology (college)

Grade 12 Physics and Chem (college)

What an asinine decision to make physics more important than biology in a medical trade.

Maelstrom said:
What an asinine decision to make physics more important than biology in a medical trade.

There is no grade 12 college level biology , and there isn't any grade 11 Chem or physics, BUT I do get what your saying:p

Mike

Now you must all remember that these are the requirements for applicants in one province.  As each province has a different curriculum, they all have different requirements that must be met listed in the Recruiter's manuals.  The CFRCs all have the criteria that need to be met listed for each and every province.

Back