• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician ( Med Tech )

Occam said:
That's not a stupid question at all.  The recruiting centre is the place you should direct your question for a definitive answer.  That said, you will definitely get an accepted/not accepted notification regarding your entry into the program, which would hopefully arrive before the cutoff date for any education loans.  The recruiting centre (and possibly the OSAP office) might be able to advise you how to prepare in the event that the CF doesn't get back to you before any student loan deadline.

Thanks so Much for the reply Occam. I was hoping they would do something along those lines for people who desire an education along with military training.
Cheers to you :)  :salute:  :cdn:

All your topics keep going on about the same thing, so you will find them all here in one place.......merged.

George Wallace said:
I am beginning to wonder if you have done any research at all.  Please don't try explaining any more, nor commenting on this; just do some research.

Yeah they go on about the same thing cause I want one trade and goal and there comes questions with it. Geez, you need to relax capt right.  ::)

xxsikpunkxx said:
Yeah they go on about the same thing cause I want one trade and goal and there comes questions with it. Geez, you need to relax capt right.  ::)

And you need to watch your attitude.

Milnet.ca Staff

I think you can find all your answers HERE.

I think next time you should seek out people in the triad and PM them the question.  Most of the info you are looking for is on the medical form.  Along with the best people to PM.

Hope that helps

PS don't fight with the MODs you WILL lose

Hello,

I just viewed the Medical Technician recruitment video and I noticed that the girl said that you are a certified Primary Care Paramedic after you have completed the the course to become a Medical Technician. Does that mean that if you are a Medical Technician in the army and has finished the course, you are able to become a Primary Care Paramedic as a Civilian Paramedic without going to college?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, in BC, or if you speak french, in Quebec if you are a Reg F Med Tech, not reserves.

The question is, why if you are a med tech in the CF, why would you take the pay and benefits cut to become a civvie medic?

Second point is if you are thinking of joining just to become just a civilian paramedic, don't waste 6 yrs of your life in the military, cause our job is nothing like theirs.

p.s.- how many different times can you ask the same question?

SFB said:
Yes, in BC, or if you speak french, in Quebec if you are a Reg F Med Tech, not reserves.

The question is, why if you are a med tech in the CF, why would you take the pay and benefits cut to become a civvie medic?

Second point is if you are thinking of joining just to become just a civilian paramedic, don't waste 6 yrs of your life in the military, cause our job is nothing like theirs.

p.s.- how many different times can you ask the same question?

What about in Ontario?

I really do want to stay in the Canadian Forces, although there are family issues.

My plan was to join to be a Infanteer, transfer to become a Medical Technician, spend four years in college, become a Civilian Paramedic, and think of what I should do then.

And I asked the question once.

Activated said:
What about in Ontario?

I really do want to stay in the Canadian Forces, although there are family issues.

My plan was to join to be a Infanteer, transfer to become a Medical Technician, spend four years in college, become a Civilian Paramedic, and think of what I should do then.

The PCP is only good in B.C.  In Ontario you may be able to challenge the test, IIRC, but the "admin" fee is pretty much the same as the course fee.

Stay in the military?  You're not even in yet!  Family issues?  Will they still be present 5-10-15 years down the road?

You do know, if you join as one trade, you're not guaranteed to be able to transfer to another?  Also, in most cases, you must have at least 3 years in or be a Cpl before you can transfer.  Spend four years in college?  On your own time, I'm assuming, unless you apply for UTPNCM but I'm pretty sure the military is not going to pay for a Paramedic course.

You're not even 16 yet.  Slow down, think things over, go talk to a recruiter.

Activated said:
And I asked the question once.

Nope, this is at least the second time.

Activated said:
1. If I join the Canadian Army and train to become a Medic, will I have a better chance (Almost guaranteed) to become a Paramedic in civilian life?

2. Is anyone here on the forum a Paramedic and a Canadian (Reserve) Medic?

3. If I work as a Paramedic, will I still have enough time to be in the armed forces?

4. If I am not 18 yet (Minimum requirement to become a medic) and I finished BMQ, am I able to become a infantry, then become a medic afterward?

PMedMoe said:
The PCP is only good in B.C.  In Ontario you may be able to challenge the test, IIRC, but the "admin" fee is pretty much the same as the course fee.

Stay in the military?  You're not even in yet!  Family issues?  Will they still be present 5-10-15 years down the road?

You do know, if you join as one trade, you're not guaranteed to be able to transfer to another?  Also, in most cases, you must have at least 3 years in or be a Cpl before you can transfer.  Spend four years in college?  On your own time, I'm assuming, unless you apply for UTPNCM but I'm pretty sure the military is not going to pay for a Paramedic course.

You're not even 16 yet.  Slow down, think things over, go talk to a recruiter.

Nope, this is at least the second time.

Yeah, I pretty much thought it over last night and I think it would be better to finish High School with Biology and Chemistry credits to become a Medical Technician.

I thought it would be a good plan to be a Medical Technician in the Canadian Forces AND be a Civilian Paramedic. The recruitment video gave me that idea.

Forgot about that post..

I think I have everything figured out now  ;D Thanks for the help

Activated said:
Yeah, I pretty much thought it over last night and I think it would be better to finish High School with Biology and Chemistry credits to become a Medical Technician.

Good thinking.  Concentrate on getting good marks right now to make yourself competitive for when you do apply.

Activated said:
I thought it would be a good plan to be a Medical Technician in the Canadian Forces AND be a Civilian Paramedic. The recruitment video gave me that idea.

It's not unheard of, it's just something you might want to wait on.

Activated said:
I think I have everything figured out now  ;D Thanks for the help

No problem.  Good luck.

I am looking to join as a Med Tech (Army) and was wondering about the prerequisites, Gr 11 Functions U, Gr 12 Bio U, and Gr 12 Chem or Physics, also having a full non-restriced drivers licence. I meet all of these criteria except for the 12 Bio...

I was wondering if other qualifications/skills have been taken into consideration before and is seen as equal to a certain prerequisite? Which would allow me to join this fiscal year and not have to wait till March. Ive completed Pre-Service Firefighting with Honours and worked really hard to do well. I was thinking that have certain courses (patient care, advanced patient care, search and rescue and being qualified as a First Responder with Red Cross) would make me a stronger candidate than someone with just 12 Bio.

Thanks for any advice and answers. I feel my life is lacking purpose and direction and know that my path will lead to the Canadian Forces, I just want to make a difference as soon as possible.

Regret to say the grade 12 Bio will very likely be a show stopper. If Med Tech is what you want then go find a course either on line (Ont has this I believe) or a high school near you.  I don't know of many applicants getting educational waivers for Med Tech without the Biology but you can always ask at the CFRC. Best of luck.

I'm sorry you ran into a Recruiter who couldn't find the information for you.  The prerequisites are "Black and White", just like the three criteria required to enroll.  You MUST have a Minimum of Biology (which is compulsory) and one other Science course (either Physics or Chemistry), as well as your drivers license.  I am sure that you realize that in the Medical profession, Biology would be quite important. 

As SFR FCS stated, you can always go back to the CFRC and ask again.

Thank you both for your quick replies

George Wallace said:
I am sure that you realize that in the Medical profession, Biology would be quite important. 

Oh I love Biology and Chemisty its just that I got turned off when I looked at the first question from an Ontario correspondence course book.

"Using the bonds and atoms of a molecular model kit, write a 200-300 word 'biochemical fashion' article from the perspective of a fashion reporter and comment on their 'reaction poses' " 

Science should be Science... pure and clean. none of this artsy creative writing involved. Id love to take adult-ed but my Rent and Bills don't understand, all they want is my attention. 

I would love to become a firefighter one day, serving in the military as a med tech and getting experience in the army seems like it would make me a serious candidate for that position.

Should I continue with my application or am I joining the military for the wrong reasons? SARTech seems like it would be great to get into and maybe that's something I could aim for one day but I doubt I'd be considered any time soon.

I'm 25 now and I have had a weak start in life. I'm very fit, healthy and I want to make a career choice that will keep my that way. I'm pretty set on a job that I can be proud of so here I am considering a military career. Should I just go to a local college instead? I heard that sometimes they let people attend a local college to get trained for their selected trade and paid for it as well, is it just a shot in the dark to get that opportunity?

konman said:
I heard that sometimes they let people attend a local college to get trained for their selected trade and paid for it as well, is it just a shot in the dark to get that opportunity?

Here is some recent advice from a Recruiter regarding Med Tech entry.:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/90562.0

I apologize in advance if these questions have been answered. I used the search function as well as google to no avail.
I'm wondering if a trade like Med tech which is available too all branches of the military, are you able to choose which branch you will join? I'd prefer Army and I'm curious if I'll be able to make this decision.

Thanks in advance.

You could look in the multitude of Med Tech threads from now on but as a freeby I answer this one for you.

You may choose what element you join as if the trade is what we call a purple trade which means not a trade not associate to one single element such as clerks and supply tech and Med Tech.

Back