• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician ( Med Tech )

Supurstes said:
What does a level one primary care paramedic translate to in Alberta? 

EMT (Restricted).
http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/media/10197/labourmobilitycomparison_emt.pdf

Supurstes said:
I am a certified by the Alberta College of Paramedics as an EMR right now. 

Emergency Medical Responders ( EMRs ) exist in some provinces, but not in others.

"Emergency Medical Responder level of practice does not currently exist in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island."
http://www.collegeofparamedics.org/media/10194/labourmobilitycomparison_emr.pdf

Mods can you please pin this, I'm getting tired of repeating myself and I'm sure others are as well. 

Now I can't speak for all Med Techs, but generally if you're working at a CDU it's like this.

0700hrs Arrive for work and change into work dress
0715hrs, quick pow pow with the Master Corporal for last min changes to the plan
0725hrs, everyone is ready to go at their station, Lab, Treatment, Pharmacy/Stores etc.
0730hrs, let the masses in for sick parade this number varies from base to base
1000hrs,  :coffee: quickly cause someone with chest pain is about to walk in and cause you to forget about your coffee for the next hour if you don't
1200hrs, finish with chest pain guy/hand off to poor guy on duty for lunch run upstairs, nuke coffee, eat lunch.

For our CDU from 1300 to 1500hrs was the time allotted to us to complete our secondary duties and assignments and to perform any pers admin that needed to be completed.  After 1500hrs, all except the Duty Medic were dismissed for PT.  We also did weekly lectures which were given by a medic or clinician.

Just kidding not everyday is that exciting, only some days.  Most of your days in a Clinic setting, is seeing and treating patients, and keeping the place clean.  It's pretty boring stuff really.  Some days we'd fight over a few sutures or a minor surgery to assist on, just for something to do. 

Now this was my experience on an Air Force Base in a small clinic.  I can tell you though that it was pretty much the same when I went on work up and in the ROLE 1 in Afghanistan. 

Saying that, there are some differences to working under canvass and out of panniers.  Especially with having to do more with less, and trying to keep everything clean is a constant battle.

Working attached to a section/platoon/company is by far the best and I loved every min of it.  Although, talk about having to do more with less.  All you have is what's on your back and stuffed in your pockets. 

More from others?

MedTech32 said:
Mods can you please pin this, I'm getting tired of repeating myself and I'm sure others are as well. 

Now I can't speak for all Med Techs, but generally if you're working at a CDU it's like this.

0700hrs Arrive for work and change into work dress
0715hrs, quick pow pow with the Master Corporal for last min changes to the plan
0725hrs, everyone is ready to go at their station, Lab, Treatment, Pharmacy/Stores etc.
0730hrs, let the masses in for sick parade this number varies from base to base
1000hrs,  :coffee: quickly cause someone with chest pain is about to walk in and cause you to forget about your coffee for the next hour if you don't
1200hrs, finish with chest pain guy/hand off to poor guy on duty for lunch run upstairs, nuke coffee, eat lunch.

For our CDU from 1300 to 1500hrs was the time allotted to us to complete our secondary duties and assignments and to perform any pers admin that needed to be completed.  After 1500hrs, all except the Duty Medic were dismissed for PT.  We also did weekly lectures which were given by a medic or clinician.

That's pretty much the basic routine for all first line support Med Techs in garrison, as the mission is to provide health care for the masses. And that begins at the opening of the clinic doors, and ending when the last uniformed member walks out. In Petawawa, sick parade can range from the usual couple hours to all day 0730-1600 on occasion. The majority of clinicians (Military and civilian doctors, the nurses, and the PAs) start their booked appointments at 1000 and go to 1500.

Except for the chest pain example, of course. As the CF is full of fit and healthy people whom live lifestyles free of vice, and whom always maintain ideal weight and eating habits, we rarely ever see anyone suffering from cardiac related chest pain. And there are no coffee breaks in the military.  >:D

Rider Pride said:
And there are no coffee breaks in the military.  >:D

I'm a civilian now and only get a coffee break in theory...when did CDU's start forcing people to not work through their breaks  >:D?

MM

Supurstes said:
Hello, I want to join direct entry as a medical technician but I have questions about the requirements.  What does a level one primary care paramedic translate to in Alberta?  I have a bachelor degree and I am a certified by the Alberta College of Paramedics as an EMR right now.  Do I have to become a EMT and EMT-P first?  If that is the case I will likely begin applying for schools and go the NCM SEP route.
Thanks.

"Semi-Skilled"
Certificate or diploma in Primary Care Paramedic.
Current registration/license to practise as a Primary Care Paramedic from a provincial regulatory body
Worked at least three (3) months within the last 12 months as a Primary Care Paramedic in an emergency medical service.
No minimum experience required for new graduate.
Valid Driver's license.

"NCM SEP"

High School Diploma (Sec V Qué) or GED.
Must be unconditionally accepted, or be currently enrolled, as full-time student in Primary Care Paramedic programme at a post-secondary institutions selected by the CF

Hi there,

A similar question - I am a practicing RPN in surgical oncology and I am looking to get in as a medical technician. I'm entering third year RN studies as well. I have been given conflicting answers as to whether this experience would make me eligible for this position and I'd really like to do some work with the forces while I'm in school, but I don't necessarily want to commit to 4 years of service by applying for the NO ROTP as I'm planning on going to graduate school.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Chris

cwwrpn said:
I am a practicing RPN in surgical oncology and I am looking to get in as a medical technician.

Some discussion here.

RPN/ LPN to Med Tech 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/105970.0

cwwrpn said:
A similar question - I am a practicing RPN in surgical oncology and I am looking to get in as a medical technician. I'm entering third year RN studies as well. I have been given conflicting answers as to whether this experience would make me eligible for this position and I'd really like to do some work with the forces while I'm in school, but I don't necessarily want to commit to 4 years of service by applying for the NO ROTP as I'm planning on going to graduate school.
If you want to be a nurse and go to graduate school, I suggest that you do that.  Why would you commit to 3 years of service as a Med Tech if that type of work is not what (really) interests you?  It will just delay you on your path.  The CF needs both nurses and Med Techs, if you are still interested after your studies we'll still be here.

CombatDoc said:
If you want to be a nurse and go to graduate school, I suggest that you do that.  Why would you commit to 3 years of service as a Med Tech if that type of work is not what (really) interests you?  It will just delay you on your path.  The CF needs both nurses and Med Techs, if you are still interested after your studies we'll still be here.

Other option would be to apply to the Reserves - lots of reserve Med Techs/Meds A's that are nurses, nursing students or med students. 

MM

Hi,

I am looking to enlist as a med tech (I am already a PCP-IV). So here I am hoping someone could answer a few questions. Mostly, about the difference in scope of practice and the life skills that you learned; ones that perhaps someone in a civilian service wouldn't gain? Working in the oilfield isn't what I am looking for in life and aside from the pay I really hate being here. I'd much prefer to be helping people and making a difference in someones life than sitting and waiting.

I am at a deciding point in my life to aim for a civilian service casually, while joining the reserves or aiming for a full time career with the CF. I would love to hear personal stories to help me get a larger understanding of what I am undertaking.

Thanks

You may find this discussion of interest.

Trying to decide between civi and mil medic, with specific questions 
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/109729.0.html

It was helpful thank you!

I am also looking for specific life skills that someone would take away from the military that a civillian would not be able to gain. Other than the obvious world travel.

Suggest that you do a search, since your questions have been asked previously.

I'm going to be applying for Med Tech later this year/early 2014 and want to do the best I can to get an offer the first time around. Currently I have no certification and have the basic requirements. I am planning on volunteering at my local Boys and Girls club to get some community and service work, as well as taking the courses for certification in: CPR, First Aid, Wilderness First Responder and possible lifeguard certification. I know I will be competing against people who have gone to college and was wondering if the above is enough to stay competitive against those applicants and if not what else I could be doing.

Thanks

If you're going into the Primary Reserve, they are now restricting applicants. You must have an EMT certification in order to be recruited. This is to combat people joining the PRes, getting their Paramedic ticket and then leaving.

The Regular Force is continuing as normal as far as I can tell. First Aid is a good start and you can never have too much volunteer work. Just keep yourself busy.

I should have specified Reg Force in the OP. I am currently looking at a course which offers the following: General concepts of wilderness medicine and the Patient Assessment System
• CPR (adult, child, and infant), AED, and basic life support skills
• Anatomy and major problems of the respiratory, circulatory, and nervous systems
• Musculoskeletal injury assessment and splinting
• Spine injury assessment and management
• Allergies and anaphylaxis
• Medical emergencies such as stroke and diabetes
• Severe asthma wilderness protocol
• Wound and burn management
• Wilderness protocol for reducing shoulder dislocations
• Environmental problems such as hypothermia, heat illnesses, lightning, and drowning
• Backcountry medicine and toxins, bites, and stings
• Litters, improvised litters and patient carries
• Evacuations, decision making, and leadership
• Medical legal issues

I'm not sure how much the above will help when competing against those who have EMT certification. Do you have any insight on that

PrairieThunder said:
If you're going into the Primary Reserve, they are now restricting applicants. You must have an EMT certification in order to be recruited. This is to combat people joining the PRes, getting their Paramedic ticket and then leaving.

This is not true for all regions of Canada.  Some Primary Reserve Force field ambulance units still have a requirement for Medical Assistants (not Medical Technicians).  There is NO requirement to have EMT / PCP to join these positions.

Please do not generalize your small part of the world with the rest of the vast recruiting space.

MC

Back