• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mechanical Breaching (From: Canada's purchase of the Leopard 2 MBT)

Maybe some company in a province that shall remain nameless has the perfect solution for a problem that doesn't exsist, except for the lack of their own funds.

Tango18A said:
Maybe some company in a province that shall remain nameless has the perfect solution for a problem that doesn't exsist, except for the lack of their own funds.

Why does that seem to make sense?    :-\

Because its probably true, then after their pockets are heavily lined, they will go out of business, and we will be left with scrap metal instead of what we need for tank implements.

And it is not like we haven't seen this happen so many times before.

I often wonder why DND/CF/Dept of Supply and Services/TB/Gov't of Canada, et al, haven't put these guys on a "Do NOT Hire List".  I have seen this so often: Company low bids, gets contract, declares bankruptcy just before end of contract, CE has to go in and fix Company's mistakes, next year new Company (same owners) bids low, gets contract, declares bankruptcy just before end of contract, CE has to go in and fix Company's mistakes, next year new Company (same owners) bids low, gets contract, ...........  All the time coming from the same province, a province that does not permit outside contractors from bidding or working on any projects within provincial boundaries.  Funny that this is permitted to continue.

As long as we keep bowing to their childish behaviour in regards to nearly everything, then the stupidity will continue.

Tango18A said:
Because its probably true, then after their pockets are heavily lined, they will go out of business, and we will be left with scrap metal instead of what we need for tank implements.

That doesn't qualify as treason?

Latest from MERX:
.... The Department of National Defence (DND) has a requirement for the development and integration of a common solution to mount Tactical Mobility Implement (TMIs) (dozer blade, track width mine plough and mine clearing roller system) on the Canadian Leopoard 2 Main Battle Tanks (MBT) fleet. This also includes the procurement of up to 18 dozer blades, associated documentations and drawings and, integrated logistics support activities, and the procurement of the intellectual property (right of use) related to the modifications to the TMIs and the MBTs. To complete the requirement, the Contractor has to possess the intellectual property rights for the purpose of Canada for the inner structure of the chassis for the Leopard 2 A4/A4M/A6M.

Krauss-Maffei Wegmann holds the Intellectual Property rights for the Leopard 2 A6M and Leopard 2 A4M, thus making them the only company capable of performing the proposed contract ....

Bump with the latest - the CF appears to have chosen a roller mechanism....
.... The Department of National Defence (DND) has a requirement for the integration of a Mine Clearing Roller System (MCRS) on the Canadian Leopard 2 Main Battle Tank (MBT) fleet. This includes acquiring 16 MCRSs, associated documentation, drawings, spare parts (two year supply), tooling, training, and other logistics support, and the right of use for Canada's purposes only related to the MCRS. To complete the requirement, the Contractor must have an MCRS that has been tested and proven to operate on a Leopard 2 MBT.

Furthermore, Canada has developed new roller wheels (and associated hardware) to increase mine-kill effectiveness of the MCRS. Each roller bank consists of 14 new steel wheels approximately 900 mm in diameter, totalling approximately 5000 kg per bank. These roller wheels were developed to fit in the dimensional envelope of NSN 2590-01-499-3783 (roller bank assembly - excluding the standard roller wheels). Therefore, to complete the requirement, the Contractor must also possess the intellectual property rights for the roller bank assembly, NSN 2590-01-499-3783 (excluding the roller wheels).

It is intended to award a sole source Contract to Urdan Metal Casting Industries Ltd,Kfar Saba, Israel, who holds the intellectual property rights for NSN 2590-01-499-3783, making it the only company capable of performing the proposed contract.

( .... )

The estimated value of the proposed contract is $10,000,000.00 CDN (including GST/HST) ....

More on the company's mine roller system here (4 page PDF)

Same rollers as we have now.

Except the disks are a lot bigger in diameter and heavier too. We did the trials on Ex Steele Sabre 11.

Back