• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Me and the CF

Raezer00

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi

I'm 23 years old, graduated high school and have been the last 5 years. Joining the military is something that I've been thinking about more and more about over the years. The past year I've contemplated it a lot more seriously, though. Mostly because I haven't found a real career and don't think I am any closer than I was 5 years ago. I talk a lot to people around me, friends and coworkers, about possibly joining the CF. Most of them say the same thing: Do it. Almost everyone seems to feel it would be a very good move for me and I want to go through with it.

There's one thing that weighs on my mind though, constantly, every time I consider going through with it. It's the fear that I won't be accepted, that I will fail the test etc etc etc.... Now I'm a competent person, I'm intelligent. Haven't been in school for a while yet have brushed up on my math skills in preparation for my application. I have been working, supporting myself for 5 years, living in the real world. I'm very independent. Now I can go on and on pointing out things about myself and why I feel I am an excellent candidate for the CF. However, if I fail that test or if I'm not accepted I'll be very disappointed. I'm convinced that this life is right for me, I really want to do it. I can get into detail about why but I won't just yet. The thought of not being accepted scares me, tremendously. I can't not be accepted. And on top of that, I live close to a military base, have talked to soldiers work with several ladies who's husbands are in the military. And everyone I know says things like don't worry, you'll definitely be accepted etc etc. Yet I still have that feeling. And I will apply, very soon, but I want to do everything I possibly can to make sure that I am accepted.

Anyone.. ?

I'll read replies and respond tomorrow for sure.

Thanks

You're afraid to fail, so you aren't trying. Consider your motivation for wanting to choose the lifestyle the military provides.

If you try, and fail, and it's important enough to you, you'll take the feedback you get, improve yourself and try again.

Stop muddling it over in your head and go to the recruiting center. You can look at the recruiting FAQ's here, and get lots of info, but there is no substitute to speaking to someone in person.

Time's a wastin'. Noone here is going to make you feel better about your indecision. Do it, or don't.

Forgive me if this sounds a bit simple but the only way you'll know if you'll make it is if you apply.  Read the threads on here about recruiting, BMQ, CFAT and people's personal stories and you'll see that many others have felt the same way you do.

If you're intelligent (as you say), relatively physically fit, have no medical issues and barring anything strange in your background (criminal charge, living out of the country) you should have no problem getting in.

I agree with the other posts.  Just apply and see where it goes.

Fear of failing is not uncommon, and it's an important part of of evaluating situations and taking good decisions. And the fact that this fear is so great in you shows how you really care about joining the Forces.
But sometimes that fear takes extreme proportions, and it becomes an irrational feeling caused by overthinking; your brain is just doing what makes it so impressive, being stupidly intelligent.

Time to take control of yourself and choose the path that makes the most sense to you. The further you put your life on hold, the more you might regret not making a move sooner, down the road. Don't overstress the tests, there's plenty information lying around to get a good idea of what to expect, and to prepare yourself adequately.

Out of curiosity, what trades are you considering if you ever decide to submit an application?

I understand how you feel, I was asked to write the CFAT the day I applied and all those thoughts went  rushing through my head. Turned out great but I have experienced amounts of fear at each step of the process that somehow I would not be good enough. I'm still fearing BMQ only because I want it so badly and don't want to mess it up.

Fear comes from risk, regardless of the stakes , risk has it's good outcome and it's bad outcome...are you willing to sacrifice the good outcome because there is a chance of a bad outcome? It is all about weighing out personal values, I'm sure some people would be fine to walk away and say "Well I didn't fail" but I know personally I would not forgive myself if I didn't try.

Everyone that has posted has given you great advice... relax and go apply if it is what you want with your life.

Applying gives you a reasonable chance of success.

Not applying gives you a zero chance of success.

Not applying gives you the same result as failing, and is simply another form of failure.

Stop failing.

Start succeeding - apply.

A certain amount of worry is healthy and will ensure that you continue to make the effort required to succeed. The amount of worry that you are exhibiting is likely to result in mental paralysis. Find the balance.

Razer, you sound to me like a smart, competent chap, with one common problem, i.e. lack of self-confidence. Not a biggie, it happens.  For one thing, I know few jobs that will make you as self-confident as the CF. Imagine how you'll feel after completing basic or SQ, things that may seem unsurmountable to you right now?

So take the advice everyone else has offered (ain't I original now?) and do it. The tests are not that hard and you're doing the right thing by asking around here. But just go now. We need people and you'll do just fine. And then step by step, slowly, you'll build your career and look back and laugh at your doubts and worries.

Loachman's comment is great. A person close to me had a serious depression a few years back and was basically afraid of failing anything and so realizing that she was useless; for fear of failure she did not undertake anything. So of course, she didn't succeed at anything. And she felt like a failure. The self-deprecating circle of doom. Break it and take command of your life (gosh that sounds like a bad US Army recruiting line).

Good luck!

You are still young, do not let fear stop you, or else you are going to wake up at 60 and tell yourself I should have tried... You have only one life, make it right. Go for it!

Knowing you tried is better than never even trying for fear of the consequences. Besides, there's nothing hard about the recruitment process. The only thing you should be worried about is some unknown medical issue which might prevent you from joining. The CFAT is pretty easy, only 1 person failed it out of 20-30 that were there when I did it. The xpress test shouldn't be a problem, you can administer it to yourself except for the running portion and train accordingly. The running portion is easy enough with a bit of mental fortitude, I ran an 8 and I was injured, overweight and a smoker (all of which have since been corrected  ;D).

First of all, thank you all for your support and I'm glad I did decide to come on here and at least try to get a little feedback. I'm amazed at the response and I'm very glad. You guys have given me some of the reassurance I need to move forward.

[quote author=HollywoodHitman]
Stop muddling it over in your head and go to the recruiting center. You can look at the recruiting FAQ's here, and get lots of info, but there is no substitute to speaking to someone in person.
[/quote]

I forgot to mention that I went to the recruiting centre for the first time in April and again in November. It's now March and I'm pretty much at the point where my application is almost finished and the next time I go in I'll be ready to apply.

Something I noticed while speaking with the recruiter(s) is that once one finally does go and sit down with one of them, I didn't really know what to say or more so I didn't really have any questions to ask. It's like I'm thinking about all kinds of things to say and once I'm actually sitting down in there my mind goes blank.

They are very helpful people though. I was very happy with the information they gave me before they sent me on my way. I may not have been able to think of all kinds of questions while I was in there but they definitely gave me answers.

So I've already been in there and asked some of the bigger questions, I'm just kind of on here to tie up loose ends if you will. Also I'm probably making this sound a little bit more nerve racking than it really is. I know I would probably be accepted (hopefully), but there is still that doubt in me.

[quote author=Fiver]
Out of curiosity, what trades are you considering if you ever decide to submit an application?
[/quote]

I was considering applying to be a member of the combat arms team. Six months ago I would have told you infantry, a basic foot soldier. Now, I'm not one hundred percent sure; which is another thing I might try to get some feedback about. I am also considering the armoured soldier position or field artillery, or possibly even combat engineer. I know the recruiter told me to check the website and I did. I noticed the field artillery position lists an interest in technology as an asset. That sounds appealing to me. Armoured solder also has the same sort of appeal, working with equipment and such. One of the reasons basic infantry was a choice of mine is that I feel this would be the most challenging. You might say that "this guy lacks the confidence to even apply to the CF and he wants to enter in to the most challenging occupation?" Well, yes. And you might say "Well, I think all of these trades are all challenging enough." Which I'm sure they are. I've considered the notion, however that if I did enter into the armoured soldier training and during that time I said to myself, "You know what rae? (that's my name, hence raezer) why didn't I just apply for the infantry solder? You know that's what you really want to do, to challenge myself." Or do I? Also, information I retrieved from the CF site some months ago details the infantry soldier position as having "excellent opportunities for advanced training and promotion, and advancement can be faster for infantry soldiers with agile intellect, good leadership ability and a positive attitude than for CF members in other occupations." This is also appealing to me.

So as you can see I haven't really decided exactly which trade, but I have an idea, I'd say i'm leaning towards armoured soldier.

[quote author=TimBit]
Razer, you sound to me like a smart, competent chap, with one common problem, i.e. lack of self-
confidence. Not a biggie, it happens.  For one thing, I know few jobs that will make you as self-
confident as the CF. Imagine how you'll feel after completing basic or SQ, things that may seem
unsurmountable to you right now?
[/quote]

Unsurmountable is a great way to describe it lol. I do lack self esteem/confidence though, you're right. And this is one of my reasons for wanting to join the CF. I agree that there probably aren't many jobs out there that are going to help my confidence as well. This is probably one of my main reasons for deciding to enlist, no doubt.

[quote author=Lil_T]
DO IT!!  You'll be so glad you did!
[/quote]

I appreciate the enthusiasm.

Well, I don't know what else I can say except I'm hoping right now to finish my application and proceed in the coming weeks, for sure.

All of your thoughts are appreciated and I hope to keep you guys updated with my progress.

PS:
I wonder why the spelling on these boards seems to be American? Every time I right armour or centre or something, I get it underlined with red when I know that the proper and Canadian way to spell armour is like that and not like this, armor. Or center... Centre... just a thought.

Raezer00 said:
PS:
I wonder why the spelling on these boards seems to be American? Every time I right armour or centre or something, I get it underlined with red when I know that the proper and Canadian way to spell armour is like that and not like this, armor. Or center... Centre... just a thought.

That's your browser ;) If you are using Firefox, download the Canadian English Dictionary. To select the correct library, right click an area where you can type, go to Languages, select the language!

Raezer00 said:
Something I noticed while speaking with the recruiter(s) is that once one finally does go and sit down with one of them, I didn't really know what to say or more so I didn't really have any questions to ask. It's like I'm thinking about all kinds of things to say and once I'm actually sitting down in there my mind goes blank.
I know the feeling all too well, it infuriates me when this happens (and too often it does ><).

Raezer00 said:
It's like I'm thinking about all kinds of things to say and once I'm actually sitting down in there my mind goes blank.

Here is some advice that will help you for the rest of your career (military or otherwise) :

Write down your questions as soon as you think of them. Take that sheet of paper with you when going to see the recruiters.

As I am going through the process right now, here are some thoughts that may help you out.  Go to the Forces.ca sight and read ALL the job descriptions (not just the hot jobs) and watch the videos.  Pick five and read them again and get psyched up about a couple of them.  Knowing the details on the trades you want will help you out and your confidence going into your interview too.  The recruiting office has a primer called "Preparing for Your Interview"  ask for it EARLY!!!  I didn't get it until the day of my interview after I wrote my CFAT, so it was of no help here.  Although I'm good with interviews and it made no difference, it would be a very good resource for you and your confidence, so get it as early as you can.  As for the CFAT, there is a mega thread on the site that says it all and then some.  All I have to ad is that it's not a test you have to stress over. It tells them about your strengths and weaknesses, but it's not the be-all end-all.  You will do better on some parts and worse on others, that is what it is for.  Helping place you in a career which best suits you, not which one suits the subjects you crammed for the week before.

Now go to it!  Maybe I'll see you in basic.

Yeah, nobody likes failing.  I hate it, and I take it personally.  However what counts is not success or failure but effort.  Life is just waiting to hand you heaping helpings of failure - basic training will dish it out by the bucket. 

And if you look at most people we would call tremendous successes in life, most have a track record of failure so vast that most of us can't even comprehend it.  Walt Disney was fired from his first job (as writer at a newspaper) because “he lacked imagination and had no good ideas.”  He went bankrupt four times before he got Disneyland built.  When he started writing Stephen King spiked all his rejection letters on a nail above his typewriter, and when they got so heavy they pulled the nail out of the wall he got a bigger nail and kept going.

This goes double for the military.  What makes a good soldier is not perfect performance every time but the ability to get up, dust off and keep going in the face of failure.  If your halfway smart and willing to work hard, you'll succeed, eventually, at whatever you set your mind at. 

Good luck.

Raezer00 said:
I was considering applying to be a member of the combat arms team. Six months ago I would have told you infantry, a basic foot soldier. Now, I'm not one hundred percent sure; which is another thing I might try to get some feedback about. I am also considering the armoured soldier position or field artillery, or possibly even combat engineer. I know the recruiter told me to check the website and I did. I noticed the field artillery position lists an interest in technology as an asset. That sounds appealing to me. Armoured solder also has the same sort of appeal, working with equipment and such. One of the reasons basic infantry was a choice of mine is that I feel this would be the most challenging. You might say that "this guy lacks the confidence to even apply to the CF and he wants to enter in to the most challenging occupation?" Well, yes. And you might say "Well, I think all of these trades are all challenging enough." Which I'm sure they are. I've considered the notion, however that if I did enter into the armoured soldier training and during that time I said to myself, "You know what rae? (that's my name, hence raezer) why didn't I just apply for the infantry solder? You know that's what you really want to do, to challenge myself." Or do I? Also, information I retrieved from the CF site some months ago details the infantry soldier position as having "excellent opportunities for advanced training and promotion, and advancement can be faster for infantry soldiers with agile intellect, good leadership ability and a positive attitude than for CF members in other occupations." This is also appealing to me.

So as you can see I haven't really decided exactly which trade, but I have an idea, I'd say i'm leaning towards armoured soldier.

The advice I offer might not be so pertinent to CF members because your compulsory retirement age is 60, unlike the British Army which is age 40 or 22 yrs service (whichever is the latter). However, my advice is to consider what you're going to do after your military service is finished. I would have a serious think about occupations which are easily transferable to civilian life and offer qualifications which will be recognised by civilian employers. Trying to think back to when I was 23 (a long time ago :'() I realise that these considerations won't be top of your list, however, if you can pick something that you're going to enjoy and which gives you a useful skill you won't regret it later on.

Good Luck ;)

Back