• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MCpl Jeffrey Scott Walsh 2VP

Sorry to hear of this sad news. Again our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Wes

Very sad news and a loss that is even harder to take. (due to the circumstances)
My condolences to his friends and family. My thoughts and prayers also go out to the soldier who made this fatal error as he definitely will need our support and help.

:salute:  :cdn:

I am in Winnipeg on leave right now.. I just had a friend that is with the Air Force ship out short notice to Dubai.  He said that he has been participating in every ramp ceremony in the past week.  Tough going.  I see a lot of support our troops stuff on vehicles though.  The fallen soldiers are not forgotten in Manitoba.

From all the Patricias in the Toronto Area: Farewell MCpl Walsh. Rest easy knowing that the Regtl family will look after yours.

:cdn: :salute:

VP

I was on JLC/JNCO with MCpl Walsh,my condolances to his family. He was an outstanding soldier,with a great future ahead. :salute: :cdn:

I watched the repatiation ceremony tonight and felt many many emotions, but the consistent one was respect. I'm sorry for your sacrifice MCpl, it was not in vain.

:salute:

Those three young kids have a long road ahead of them, but I hope the knowledge that their father was a hero helps smooth some of the bumps.

RIP MCpl Walsh. :cdn::salute: 

Thoughts and prayers to his family, loved ones and friends.  I can't begin to imagine how the other soldier is dealing with this most unfortunate incident.  Strength to the Patricias and to the BG.

PRO PATRIA

Yes, I also thought about the other soldier, that's got to be a hell of a thing to have to try to deal with. It's a shame that with an incident like this 2 soldiers are taken out of the line.

My sincerest condolences to the Walsh family.  "Rest in Peace my friend.....You will be missed..." 2VP!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2006/08/17/funeral-regina.html

Soldier killed in Afghanistan laid to rest
Last Updated: Thursday, August 17, 2006 | 8:18 PM CT
CBC News
There were tears and laughter at the funeral of Master Cpl. Jeffrey Scott Walsh Thursday as stories of his good nature, sense of humour and devotion to duty were told inside a packed Regina church.

The 33-year-old soldier with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry based in Shilo, Man., had been six days into his second tour in Afghanistan when he was accidentally shot.

Master Cpl. Jeffrey Walsh, who was buried in Regina on Thursday, spoke with the CBC in Regina in December 2003.
(CBC)
More than 300 attended the service at St. Paul's Cathedral in downtown Regina, the city where his parents live and where he had lived for a number of years.

Walsh's family followed behind his casket, which was draped in a Canadian flag and carried in by his fellow soldiers.

Julie Mason, Walsh's spouse, carried their seven-month-old son Ben and held their daughter Jordan's hand. She in turn held on to her big sister, Avery.

Among those paying tribute was Darryl Smith, a fellow soldier who went through battle training with Walsh. He described him as a friend and a brother, a proud person and devoted family man with a sense of humour that was always at the ready.

Military accomplishments

He also paid tribute to his colleague's accomplishments in the military.

"Jeff was a warrior. He was a motivated, disciplined and highly capable soldier," Smith said. "I had total respect for him and so did those he served with."

Rev. Allan Higgs said the accidental nature of Walsh's death makes it especially hard for those who knew him.

"How can you make sense of an accident," he asked the congregation. "Death in battle is somewhat easier to fathom or at least explain. How or why a gun went off will take time to determine. We do know, though, that the person responsible for that gun carries a terrible burden."

Higgs asked the gathering to keep that soldier in its prayers as well.

Poem for his children

He also read from a poem Walsh wrote, called Monsters in the Dark, to explain to his children why he had to go back to Afghanistan.

"I to choose confront them, as afraid as I might be, because if I don't stop the monsters, our children will never be free," read the poem.

Norman Yeo, another friend, spoke of Walsh's humour and sense of adventure, and had the crowd of more than 300 smiling and laughing at some of the antics they shared.

Yeo also asked them to help make sure Walsh's children will know the kind of person he was: "A great friend with a kind heart, big smile, and who always put others first."

Walsh was buried later in the afternoon in the military section of Riverside Memorial Park.

A trust fund for Walsh's children has been established at CIBC bank branches.

Flags around the province have been at half-mast in honour of Walsh and a second soldier originally from Saskatchewan who was killed in Afghanistan.

Cpl. Bryce Keller, who was born in Regina and had in recent years been based in  Edmonton, died in a Taliban ambush on Aug. 3.

Poem is available here:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/48889.0.html

William Webb Ellis said:
I read the aforementioned story at lunch.  Does anyone know if the complete poem is available??

it's running in this thread:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/48889.0.html

Here it is again:

Monsters in the Dark
by MCpl Jeff Walsh

I know that they are out there:
I will not be ignorant anymore:
Pulling the blanket over my head will not keep them
             from coming ashore;
Instead I choose to confront them
             as afraid as I might be;
Because if I don't stop the monsters
             our children can never be free.

http://server09.densan.ca/archivenews/060819/rlp/060819a5.htm

Jeffrey Walsh's children may not yet understand just how magnificent a man their father was. They know only that one week he was with them, and the next week he was gone.

But they will come to understand that their father was a hero in the truest sense of the word. We use the word "hero" a lot. We use it with sports figures when they accomplish something incredible. We use it all over the place. But Master Cpl. Jeffrey Walsh was a true hero. He died fighting for what has made this country and a lot of countries what they are. Free. Great and wonderful places to live, work, play.

Every single Canadian, every single American, every single member of a democratic country, owes Jeffrey Walsh a lot. As ugly and as detested as wars are, they are a necessary part of our world. Because they stand in the way of evil people who want to terrorize us and take away all those things we too often take for granted.

Thank you, Master Cpl. Jeffrey Walsh and thank you all those soldiers who have gone to war and risked their lives for us. We owe you a lot. But it is a debt we will never be able to repay, other than to enjoy the life you have made possible for us.

Back