• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Married but paying for rations while on course.

peacelove said:
What is the rate now at CFLRS?
Good luck on your course

Just for clarity before the sky falls in on this thread, the rates are set nationally and only vary for certain aspects (cafeteria vice table service, full vice partial ration plan).

Yes, it blows for ppl who are prohibited posted and I feel for those who have families at home to feed as well. 

Wait till you start getting a pay deduction after exercises for all the IMPs you eat.

I posted on this topic earlier but am now having an "after thought" to the original question.  There are several variables in play, which would raise differences in entitlements when personnel are assigned for training at the QL3 level and below.  The original post doesn't provide sufficient information to get an accurate picture of just what is happening.

So you can't paint everyone with the same brush.

There will be differences and it is unavoidable.

Pandora114 said:
Does this also apply to those on PLQ? or just BMQ?

The recruiting centre specifically all members at cflrs. So I am assuming that means everyone.

mld said:
The recruiting centre specifically all members at cflrs. So I am assuming that means everyone.

I'm suspecting they mean recruits on BMQ as that is a posting.  Anyone going to CFLRS on courses such as PLQ, ILP, etc should be on TD from their home units and not subject to R&Q.

Very very brief run down.

Recently enrolled pers who are Married/Common-Law at the time of enrolment, will pay for Rations at both BMQ/BMOQ and ALSO during occupational/phase training if they are separated from their dependants.  Personnel who are currently serving (ie; reached OFP) and are undergoing OT are different and in these cases, everything depends on what method is used to send them on training (ie; Attach Posted or Posted).

If this policy had been in effect when I joined I would not have been able to afford it and I would either be a civilian now or bankrupt. It's one thing to say that members who choose to live in the shacks have to pay R & Q and another to order married members into the shacks and then charge them for it. I completely understand for initial training (BMQ, BMOQ) but after that it's unreasonable to order someone to be undergoing the expense of R & Q for months (almost 2 years in my case). We like to talk about taking care of families but if the first thing we do when someone joins the CF is this, then I think we need to reevaluate our priorities.

Will members still be entitled to PLD at their primary residence while on prohibited posting?

In other developments WRT R & Q, there is a CANAIRGEN (released not long ago) WRT de-linking R & Q. 

Pandora114 said:
Does this also apply to those on PLQ? or just BMQ?

Rather than applying to a certain course, it will pertain to the mbr's posting and career status/situation.  Members posted prohibited with their D HG & E in another location who occupy SQ will pay R & Q.  Members who are attach posted, or on Temporary Duty for a course and who have D HG & E at their posting location will not pay R & Q.

If AP or TD and not married/common law but maintain a residence, those mbr's will not pay quarters but will pay rations.

*IIRC

jeffb said:
Will members still be entitled to PLD at their primary residence while on prohibited posting?

Yes, IAW current policy if their place of enrolment is a place of duty and their D HG & E is in the PLDA.

Eye In The Sky said:
If AP or TD and not married/common law but maintain a residence, those mbr's will not pay quarters but will pay rations.

*IIRC

I'm not so sure about that -- I haven't seen anything that says that single pers on Temporary Duty are required to pay for their rations. Besides, the CFTDI hasn't been amended since this whole reduction of benefits push broke in July 2012. Similar story with Attached Posting -- Attached Posting is a different thing from Temporary Duty, but they receive similar meal benefits according to the CFTDI version that's posted online (revised 1 Jan 2012).

There may well be a new version of CFTDI coming out that insists that we all start foraging the countryside for food, but it hasn't hit the street yet.

PMedMoe said:
It is probably these two paragraphs (4 and 5) of CANFORGEN 159/12 that the clerks are referring to (and also what your POs seem to be doing):

Yeah, that's them...  And I'm pretty sure something came down for the bunch of us that it applied to.  I'll have more to post when I get updated.

Ostrozac said:
There may well be a new version of CFTDI coming out that insists that we all start foraging the countryside for food, but it hasn't hit the street yet.

I hope we don't have to forage... I suck at it...  ;D

Hmm..

This thread made me really think, and send an email off to my recruiter to get a straight answer for my situation (not the PLQ..that's my husband's situation)  That way we can be prepared and budget appropriately when I go off on my training.

Pandora114 said:
Hmm..

This thread made me really think, and send an email off to my recruiter to get a straight answer for my situation (not the PLQ..that's my husband's situation)  That way we can be prepared and budget appropriately when I go off on my training.

If you are going PRes, you won't have to worry at all.  PLQ is a AP or TD course.

Eye In The Sky said:
If you are going PRes, you won't have to worry at all.  PLQ is a AP or TD course.

No, husband is going on PLQ *again* once his leg is fixed up (Had to be RTU'd because of the break happening on the course).  He didn't have to pay for rations when he was there, but he might be going back after the fiscal year switches over so things might be different.  Hence why I asked.

I'm enlisting as Reserves as RMS Clerk, app is sitting in CFRC Halifax as I type this, just waiting on the call  for my testing.  It's cool, I sent an email to my recruiter and I'll probably hear back from him tomorrow.   

Pandora114 said:
No, husband is going on PLQ *again* once his leg is fixed up (Had to be RTU'd because of the break happening on the course).  He didn't have to pay for rations when he was there, but he might be going back after the fiscal year switches over so things might be different.  Hence why I asked.

And as I said, PLQ is AP (Attach Posted) or TD (Temp Duty) to the TE (Trg Establishment) and not affected.

I'm enlisting as Reserves as RMS Clerk, app is sitting in CFRC Halifax as I type this, just waiting on the call  for my testing.  It's cool, I sent an email to my recruiter and I'll probably hear back from him tomorrow. 

Great.  But you can't be posted as PRes, so you will be TD for your courses likely on a Cl B route letter.  IR status, posted prohibited, etc doesn't apply to a reservist.

Sweet.  We're just skimming the surface here as it is.  (and I'm also filing this away in my brain database for when I am a clerk)  Clerks should know this stuff anyway. 

OK... So I have some more information regarding this.  My PO gave me a copy of an email that pertains to this subject, and was sent through our trade career manager from the BTL management.

Basically, the crux of it is that any BTL NCM students that who were enrolled before 1 Sep 12 and will remain on the BTL after 1 Feb 13 are among those who qualify for this.  (NCMs who are in training now at different units, and NCM-SEPs are among the numbers)

If the member is leaving CFLRS to their next unit, CFLRS will remain the parent unit, and the member will be sent to the next training location on Attached Posting.

NCM-SEP students will remain posted with their applicable ULO and sent on to their next training location after graduation on Attached Posting.

Anyone who is already Prohibited Posted and on their courses (like me), and wre entitled to R&Q at public expense, will be posted RESTRICTED out of thier schools and into their first employing unit by the D Mil C Career Managers.  The employing units will immediately Attach Post the students back to the school to complete their training.  After graduating the required training, the member would THEN move to their employing unit, and the gaining CO will be able to lift the restrictions and allow the move of family and HG&E.

As far as I know, this only applies to NCMs under the old rules.  I was also told that a new CANFORGEN should be out soon about this, but the email was sent now, just in case the CANFORGEN isn't released by 1 Feb 13, so that our staff and clerks have some sort of guideline...

So now, we wait and see what happens next, I guess...

Back