• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter SteelMag
  • Start date Start date
dustinm said:
My best bet looks like going in as another trade for my first BE and then trying to remuster in 3 years after getting the prereqs out of the way and all that jazz.

You know theres a big proble with your "best bet" right ?

CDN Aviator said:
You know theres a big proble with your "best bet" right ?

If I knew I wouldn't have said it :)

I'll say right now that I used "BE" to mean "contract"...I actually have no idea what it stands for, and as it's only two letters long the search wasn't much help. (The initial contract is 3 years, right?)

P.S.: As I haven't stated what I wanted those credits for, it was so I could be a Med Tech. Another option is to look for a civvy PCP program that doesn't need Bio and Chem/Physics and then apply as semi-skilled (I believe?) Edit: Nevermind. I did state that I wanted Med Tech.

Just in case you did not know, changing trades is not always very easy.  There is no guarantee that you will be able to change trades once you get in.  It is better to wait and meet all the pre-req's instead of rushing into a trade you are not interested in and not being able to get out of it in the future. That is my advice, take it for what its worth.

dangerboy said:
Just in case you did not know, changing trades is not always very easy.  There is no guarantee that you will be able to change trades once you get in.  It is better to wait and meet all the pre-req's instead of rushing into a trade you are not interested in and not being able to get out of it in the future. That is my advice, take it for what its worth.

I am aware of the difficulty. It has to be a green trade, there has to be a surplus in my trade and a lack in the one I want to go into, it has to be in the best interests of the Forces, though as I understood it's more of a numbers/waiting game than a "stuck forever" game. Then again, spending 5 years in another trade (god forbid) would definitely kill my morale if I really want Med Tech.

Thanks for the advice.  :salute:

First off, don't get in the CF in another trade in hopes that you'll be able to easily OT.  Sometimes, it just doesn't happen as quickly as you want it to and you'll be miserable in the other trade.  Trust me.  It took me five attempts to get my OT.  Thankfully, at the time, the course ran twice a year.

You're still young, get the high school courses you need and then apply.

After thought:  Why didn't you just continue this thread instead of starting another?

dustinm said:
I understood it's more of a numbers/waiting game than a "stuck forever" game.

You understood wrong.

Then again, spending 5 years in another trade (god forbid) would definitely kill my morale if I really want Med Tech.

So dont join until you meet the pre-requisites for the trade that you want.

DustinM,

I am seriously confused as to why you feel it necessary to circumvent having to complete some highschool credits. In a worst case scenario, you could have them completed in what: 3 to 6 months doing night school?

It is better to complete the required education than waste 3+ years of time in the military training for one trade, only to ask for a remuster and go for medic. You waste your time as you may not enjoy your first trade until you remuster, you waste the governments time and money training you... you take up a SPOT in that initial trade that someone else wanted.

Don't be selfish and get your education out of the way first.

Nites

Ok, from one 18 year old to another.

Right now I'm at CFB Borden waiting for my Med Tech course to start.  Just finished BMQ 10 days ago, I'm pretty much as green as you can get without being a Recruit so I know exactly where you're coming from.

My advice is to stop trying to find ways around it and just take the courses.  I took them in high school because I knew I wanted to come here.  If you are as proficient as you claim to be then it should be no problem.  Yes the time issue sucks, but its only a semester, opposed to years you could spend trying to change trades.  

Also, consider the administrative hassle you'd be putting on the CF.  Don't let the Gov spend thousands of dollars training you to do something that you are just gonna turn around and leave to be a medic.  Its not really fair.  People usually switch trades cause they realize something is not right for them, or they grow bored of it, or other legitimate reasons.

If you want this, take the courses.  Wish you the best of luck.

Cheers, Kyle

PMedMoe said:
First off, don't get in the CF in another trade in hopes that you'll be able to easily OT.  Sometimes, it just doesn't happen as quickly as you want it to and you'll be miserable in the other trade.  Trust me.  It took me five attempts to get my OT.  Thankfully, at the time, the course ran twice a year.

You're still young, get the high school courses you need and then apply.

After thought:  Why didn't you just continue this thread instead of starting another?

Er, yeah. That would have been a good idea. This question is mostly answered. If a mod comes by, they could delete this thread.  ::)

Neo Cortex said:
If I knew I wouldn't have said it :)

I'll say right now that I used "BE" to mean "contract"...I actually have no idea what it stands for, and as it's only two letters long the search wasn't much help. (The initial contract is 3 years, right?)

P.S.: As I haven't stated what I wanted those credits for, it was so I could be a Med Tech. Another option is to look for a civvy PCP program that doesn't need Bio and Chem/Physics and then apply as semi-skilled (I believe?) Edit: Nevermind. I did state that I wanted Med Tech.

Good luck with that in Ontario since every college PCP program requires you to have bio and chem/physics of some sort (not as picky as the cf only requiring grade 12, most/all college accept grade 11/12 credits at the C/M/U levels).

highschool science is like playing a musical instrument: you learn by practice.  Nobody picks up the darned thing on the first go and plays flight of the bumble bee.  It might take time, but the efforts will be well worth it.  Please remember that.

Hatchet Man said:
Good luck with that in Ontario since every college PCP program requires you to have bio and chem/physics of some sort (not as picky as the cf only requiring grade 12, most/all college accept grade 11/12 credits at the C/M/U levels).

Yes, there is that.

As an example, Humber (http://postsecondary.humber.ca/07651.htm) will accept Grade 11U Bio and Chem and Grade 12C Math (all of which I have, though my science marks aren't stellar) along with admissions testing for Grade 12 Bio and Chem.

I have a question regarding education requirements for joining the Canadian forces that has not been answered clearly in any of the FAQ's I have read so far.I am currently unemployed however I do have a job offer right now for a technical support position for Xerox, for about six months now I have been seriously wanting to join the Canadian forces (obviously have admired  soldiers and this type of work for a long time) but I have been thinking hard about it lately, especially since I received the email regarding the job offer with Xerox.So here is my problem, I know you are going to tell me to get my GED or something like to that effect and that's fine all criticism is welcome but I would also like some answers that directly pertain to the specific question I ask, please.When I was in High school I dropped out in the middle of grade ten.I came back the following year and because I had good grades for the first half of the previous year, they agreed to bump me up to grade 11 for all of my courses except for math.I excelled in all of my courses for the first half of the year and because of relationship problems with the girlfriend I had at the time and some bullying and no friends issues I dropped out of high school.I am not sure what my official education level is and I do not really know how to find out.I am wondering if anyone knows how deeply the Canadian Army looks into your educational background.I would not be against obtaining my high school diploma while working with the armed forces.I know to get a lot of the jobs I have in the past used a fake diploma that I made with my computer and that hasn't failed me yet.I understand if no one wants to post publicly if in fact the Canadian forces do not look to deep into your educational background but if you have any insider information you wouldn't mind sharing with me either publicly or via the private message system set up on these boards I would really appreciate the time you took to do so.Thank you for your time guys!

glen24 said:
              I have a question regarding education requirements for joining the Canadian forces that has not been answered clearly in any of the FAQ's I have read so far.I am currently unemployed however I do have a job offer right now for a technical support position for Xerox, for about six months now I have been seriously wanting to join the Canadian forces (obviously have admired  soldiers and this type of work for a long time) but I have been thinking hard about it lately, especially since I received the email regarding the job offer with Xerox.So here is my problem, I know you are going to tell me to get my GED or something like to that effect and that's fine all criticism is welcome but I would also like some answers that directly pertain to the specific question I ask, please.When I was in High school I dropped out in the middle of grade ten.I came back the following year and because I had good grades for the first half of the previous year, they agreed to bump me up to grade 11 for all of my courses except for math.I excelled in all of my courses for the first half of the year and because of relationship problems with the girlfriend I had at the time and some bullying and no friends issues I dropped out of high school.I am not sure what my official education level is and I do not really know how to find out.I am wondering if anyone knows how deeply the Canadian Army looks into your educational background.I would not be against obtaining my high school diploma while working with the armed forces.I know to get a lot of the jobs I have in the past used a fake diploma that I made with my computer and that hasn't failed me yet.I understand if no one wants to post publicly if in fact the Canadian forces do not look to deep into your educational background but if you have any insider information you wouldn't mind sharing with me either publicly or via the private message system set up on these boards I would really appreciate the time you took to do so.Thank you for your time guys!

Not a good way to start. There is new background checking in place so I would highly suggest you get your GED if you want to join the CF.

EDITED TO ADD,

from the company that does the background checking:

Education Verifications
Education Verifications are obtained through interviews with representatives of the Educational Institutions listed by the candidate. Ensure job requirements are met. Ensure honesty.

Education is one of the most common areas of embellishment on a candidate’s résumé. Despite the necessity of the education to meet job requirements, BackCheck recommends verifying education claims because of the frequency of embellishment. The embellishment of education claims speaks to the level of integrity and honesty of a candidate.

Thanks for the response,I know lying about ones education isn't a good way to start anything that you intended on starting in the first place to gain a sense of accomplishment.In the same sense I have to look out for my best interest and I'm not necessarily talking about money.Thanks for your response I don't want this to come off as rude or anything but do you have first hand information that they do a background check?Thanks again for the response!

It is part of the recruiting process.

EDITED TO ADD

From the recruiting website:

All employees of the Canadian government are subjected to a reliability check to various degrees. Potential CF members are subjected to an enhanced check to confirm your reliability and trustworthiness in the performance of your duties and in the protection of the assets and interests of the Canadian Forces and its personnel.

This check will only be conducted with your consent. Should you withhold your consent or not authorize the necessary checks, your application will not be considered further.

So, you want to print a fake diploma and submit that to the CFRC?  If that is indeed the case, you are definately not the kind of person the CF are looking for....

In the CF, you need to look out of the CFs interest before your own.  That selfish attitude won't get you anywhere, in the CF or in life.

Oh sorry, I responded before you edited your post.Thanks for the information my friend I guess I will have to settle for technical support.I just really wanted to go with this motivation I have been having as of the last few months and really do something meaning full, you know, make some good decisions .Oh , I guess that will be another day.

Why not get your (real) GED and apply??  That would show motivation, give you a sense of accomplishment and would really be meaningful!

SupersonicMax said:
So, you want to print a fake diploma and submit that to the CFRC?  If that is indeed the case, you are definately not the kind of person the CF are looking for....

In the CF, you need to look out of the CFs interest before your own.  That selfish attitude won't get you anywhere, in the CF or in life.

I have a fake diploma and If need be I use it, I was 16 when I dropped out of school and needed more money than Wendy's could offer (although I worked there for four years) .I can program in a bunch of languages and I have never been fired fired from a job, I have never lied about specific skills I have in order to get a job.There have been cases where a potential employer asked me if I knew of "Active directory" I said no and moved on with my life.I am not looking to cheat someone out of value if I say I can do something its because I can and if I say I cant it is the same situation.I never set out to offend you but I don't know military edicate as well as you so I am sorry for that.Thanks for all the information guys stay safe.

Back