• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Maritime Coastal Defence Vessels (MCDVs)

47 includes the accomodations pod and assumes one person sleeping in the CO's cabin. With a pod you'll generally sail with 46... without the pod... 40

A Little clarification - there are only 3 Core crew NAVCOMMS, including the SNAC, the fourth billet is only funded by MARPAC/MARLANT for one year.

Hope that helps to clear things up

For the comms, last I had heard was it was only a Marpac thing funding the 4th.  And I added it into my list 'cause I am partial to comms...  Hopefully Navres gets the hint to keep it going.

Engines?
Radar?
Weapons?

Specifically, I'm curious if we moved towards an Australian Coastwatch Model, if the MCDV could be taken out of Reserve hands and put into active service with either the Navy or Coast Guard and what changes would be necessary to make it an effective asset in such a new role.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew.    :salute:

I would transfer the MCDV over to the Coast guard keeping some for mine sweeping duties...

I would look at getting a medium sized patrol vessel, one that could handle the weather associated with Canada.  With automated equipment you should be able to keep the crew size the same as the MCDV, if not just slightly larger.  This would free up the CPF's to deal with real taskings and not chasing fishermen of NFLD.

I don't like the MCDV at all 

Too slow, too flat bottomed, lousy sea keeping ability, old weapons, not enough mission modules, poor damage control, awful RHIB position and launching equipment just to name a few things wrong with the Kingston class. Was a waste of money from the get go.

Cdn Blackshirt said:
if the MCDV could be taken out of Reserve hands and put into active service

No comment on their capabilites, as I am too new to have any knowledge of the subject. But I am curious. Why would you take the MCDV's away from NavRes, regardless of role? From what I read/hear, they do more sea time then most Reg vessels, and they have, afaik, a solid core of experienced, full time contract reserve crews. Plus NavRes is trained to a higher standard then the Army's reservists.
What about the MCDV's is not "active service" at this time? Are they not at this time considered operationally tasked, as well as being used for training of reservists and Reg/Reserve officers?

Not being confrontational here, simply curious.

From what I read/hear, they do more sea time then most Reg vessels
Oh really...tell that to the guys who went to Op Apollo 2-3 times.

and they have, afaik, a solid core of experienced, full time contract reserve crews.
On this coast I always see critical Manning Lists from the MCDVs looking for personnel

Plus NavRes is trained to a higher standard then the Army's reservists.
i hope you can back that up otherwise you will have a flame war on your hands soon.

Not being confrontational here, simply curious.
Not the way I see it.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Too slow, too flat bottomed, lousy sea keeping ability, old weapons, not enough mission modules, poor damage control, awful RHIB position and launching equipment just to name a few things wrong with the Kingston class. Was a waste of money from the get go.

I apologize if I'm putting words in your mouth, but based on that assessment would you be in favour of the following:

1)   Sell at depreciated value 8 vessels to the Coast Guard (4 Remain as dedicated Naval Reserve Minesweepers)
2)   Coast Guard with its now much larger fleet takes primary responsibility for Sovereignty Patrols of sea lanes within 100km of the coastline.
3)   Navy shifts to more of a war fighting/war training focus with a secondary role of acting as "First Responder" if the Coast Guard requires assistance
4)   Navy temporarily trains up Coast Guard crews with current MCDV crews, but eventually transfers them back to staff undermanned CPF and DDH vessels
5)   Navy uses new found funds on the 280-replacements.

Thanks again Ex,

Matthew.    :salute:

I apologize if I'm putting words in your mouth, but based on that assessment would you be in favour of the following:

1)  Sell at depreciated value 8 vessels to the Coast Guard (4 Remain as dedicated Naval Reserve Minesweepers)
While I would like to see dedicated minesweepers 4 is not enough to cover what we need...12 is not even enough.
2)  Coast Guard with its now much larger fleet takes primary responsibility for Sovereignty Patrols of sea lanes within 100km of the coastline.
You forget the CG has not interest in being armed so what they have now while needing to be replaced or updated is adequate for their role.
3)  Navy shifts to more of a war fighting/war training focus with a secondary role of acting as "First Responder" if the Coast Guard requires assistance
Thats our primary role right now, that has never changed and the military is always ready to step in to aid another goverment body.
4)  Navy temporarily trains up Coast Guard crews with current MCDV crews, but eventually transfers them back to staff undermanned CPF and DDH vessels
You forget we only embark at times only a few Naval Reservists...very little of our crew make up is reservists and most prefer it to stay that way.
5)  Navy uses new found funds on the 280-replacements.
Would be nice we will see in about 5-10 years is my guess.

They were an effective asset at Swiss Air Diaster and have better parties.

Never miss a SHAD BASH!

See you after at Scoundrels or the Tudor!!

Ex-Dragoon said:
Oh really...tell that to the guys who went to Op Apollo 2-3 times.
On this coast I always see critical Manning Lists from the MCDVs looking for personnel
i hope you can back that up otherwise you will have a flame war on your hands soon.
Not the way I see it

Too bad you see it that way Ex-Dragoon, I was honestly just being curious.

Concerning the time spent at sea, look at this thread.   There is a discussion about this topic. In it one person confirms that he transferred to the regular force to get LESS sea time.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/23040.0.html

As for training standards, I was thinking more of officer training rather than NCM's.  I am completely open the possibility that I am wrong, but I would prefer hard information.

Here's my thinking. I will use reserve infantry officer training and MARS as examples, as those in the two I am most familiar with.

Reserve infantry BOTC seems to be the 10 weekend BMQ/10 weekend SQ (Only 40 days - that can't be right, can it?) and sometimes there seems to be some additional week long training module but this seems to be dependent upon location.   Going through the various posts here, the average length of training including the module is about 47 days (?).

Naval reserve IAP/BOTC at Esquimalt is accredited as equal to the regular force, and is nearly four months long full-time. (My source is the naval reserve magazine, The Link). The regular force sends candidates to Esquimalt sometimes.

Militia infantry CAP-R an PLC courses are shorter in length and lack some of the training included in the regular force counterparts.   There are several threads in the forums concerning this.

MARS officer candidates take the same 40 weeks of training whether they are regular or reserve.   The watch keeping certification qualification at the end of this training is the same.   Then off everyone goes to apprentice in their particular ship type.

As for NCM's, in both the naval reserve and the militia training seems to be one-third to one-half that of the comparable regular force courses. I do note that there are several discussions on these forums about militia spending several months upgrading their training before they can be deployed.  Of course naval reserve personnel being deployed would have to come up to some higher standard if they have not spent much time at sea, but I have not heard of anything this extensive being required for naval reserve personnel.  This suggests that the standard is closer to the regular force than in the militia.

Of course, the naval reserve has an operational tasking and deploys units composed and commanded by reservists.  It would make sense that they would be trained to a decent standard so that this mission can be achieved.  The militia deploys individual members but is not responsible for deploying complete units.

I used to be a reserve infantry NCM.  I took a long look at my former trade when I was considering reenlisting.  Using my knowledge and experience for comparison, I am quite impressed with what I see in the naval reserve.

Now, I am making no attempt to say that this is better than that.  What I see are two different branches, with different missions, that need to prepare their members in different ways.  And I am certainly not making any comment at all on individual member professionalism.  I have met some very professional, competent militia members.  I am certain that there will be some bumbling fools in the naval reserve.

Thank you for the information concerning the Manning lists.   That's new information for me.

My wife is lurking around here somewhere....but I do agree!! :blotto:

I married a cute little SHAD!

I think that the MCDV's are a huge waste of money.  Some people claim that the MCDV's spend more time at sea than the Heavies, sure I'll buy that but it depends on the ship you are posted too...  Sort of like I bet that there are Guys in Petawawa right now who have spent more time away from home, than say his bro in arms posted to Gagetown.

I always thought the whole point of the reserves was to have people who could step up and perform the role of a reg force individual.  You can't take your average SHAD and throw him on a CPF....... I would talk an Able Seaman reg force over a MS shad any day, they might spend some time at sea, but so do fishermen.  It comes down to experience, and when it comes to operations the reg force sailor is worth more than the SHAD..  Whoa off topic there

I don't know what it is like in the Army, but don't the reserves and reg force use the same kit? 

We don't need minesweepers, really if the enemy is sneaking into our harbours and planting mines, then we are in over our heads....

Get rid of them, pick up some OPV, something with Balls that can move in the water

Yeah.....you tell like it is. Do shads impact us skimmer pukes...nah.

We are light years away from getting an AEGIS capability or a heavy sea lift/amphib cap.

What do we need balls for......MIO??? (we did not have a robust enough ROE in OP APOLLO Roto 0 to stop anybody anyway) When we did anything the onboard JAG had to call Ottawa for permission!!!

The Wavy navy has a role and they perform it adequately. MCDV's are not the best, but when they have the Ready Duty Flag hoisted. It makes this skimmer puke happy.

I retire in 2009, I hope you prove me wrong.

"Is it worth upgrading the MCDV and what would you mofidy????"

mofidy. Must be a navy term   ;)

What submariners call us above surface guys! (reg force term)

Shads-reservists

Perma Shads- Class B'ers w/ CD's

I have seen more reservists augmenting the Heavies, and yes they are undertrained and a little weary.

But we all started out somewhere!

I would add a hot pretzel maker and a bigger canned beer machine. In addition, I would throw all of that minsweeping, sidescan crap over the side, and have a large, outdoor projection screen tv with surround sound audio system installed. The ship would be just as effective with my proposed modifications, and the crew would be a whole lot happier.

Sign me up!!

Maybe the dayworkers will have there own fleet of ships!

Back