• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Map symbol for OP

63 Delta

Inactive
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the map symbol for a FN OP is. I cant remember for the life of me what the symbol is, and cant find it on the innerweb.

Thanks.

I want to say a OP is a triangle, but I'd have to double check.

Hmmm, thats what I thought it was too.

We cant both be wrong can we...  ;D

http://www.military.com/ResourcesSubmittedFiles/Military_Symbols_Guide.pdf

https://www.google.ca/search?q=nato+map+symbols&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=6nsNUtmhOvKq4APKhYB4&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1745&bih=841

An OP is definitely a triangle... what's the "FN" part for (forgive me if that's a stupid question, but it's not clicking)?

FN: Friendly

EN: Enemy

Thanks for the response... I was positive triangle was OP, but just needed the nudge

Right, so a blue triangle for a friendly OP, with the branch indicator in the middle... I always thought "Friendly" was "Fr," now I'm confused :(

I abbreviate friendly as FR but I guess to each his own right?

Friendly OP -blue triangle with a black slash through it from the lower left corner to the upper right side, bisecting it.

Enemy op - red triangle.

Suspect enemy op location - dashed lined red triangle.

ballz said:
Right, so a blue triangle for a friendly OP, with the branch indicator in the middle... I always thought "Friendly" was "Fr," now I'm confused :(

No need to put anything for a branch indicator, nevermind putting something in the center of a small triangle. An OP is an OP. Usually if there is a screen line, it will be noted by a large blue rectangle with the branch indicator in the center and the unit conducting the screen noted off the side in the usual designator areas. There will also be an S on both sides of the rectangle with arrows stemming from them to the extremities of the OP screen.

Regards

Nerf herder said:
No need to put anything for a branch indicator, nevermind putting something in the center of a small triangle. An OP is an OP. Usually if there is a screen line, it will be noted by a large blue rectangle with the branch indicator in the center and the unit conducting the screen noted off the side in the usual designator areas. There will also be an S on both sides of the rectangle with arrows stemming from them to the extremities of the OP screen.
Regards
I think the branch indicator depends on context or whatever level of HQ you are working with and whether the tools are digital or a paper map trace. My background was arty and we always indicated OPs with branch indicators to differentiate at a glance arty FOOs, Bde Recce forces and infantry bn outposts all of which had different capabilities.

Edited to add:  A triangle is not a proper icon for an (Arty) Op (my opinion).

The C/S, method of transport and size will further delineate.  As well as the position in battle i.e. a section size artillery icon, with wheels, forward in the battle will be a FOO.  Arguably, it could be a mortar section, but a mortar section will likely have a letter behind it, where as a FOO will only have a number i.e. G11,G12,G21, or G22 etc...

Confusing enough?  I convolute it further.  The triangle is a target in the RCAF.

Use rectangles and diamonds.  The color and additional info will delineate.

I'm sure Arty does things a bit differently, however, Armd Recce doctrine and Infantry Recce doctrine are pretty close to being the same and are universally known at every HQ.

My examples are from Bde Armd Recce doctrine, which is what the hulk wants.

Regards

GnyHwy said:
Edited to add:  A triangle is not a proper icon for an (Arty) Op (my opinion).
GnyHwy said:
Use rectangles and diamonds.  The color and additional info will delineate.

Sooooooooo Wrong!

http://www.military.com/ResourcesSubmittedFiles/Military_Symbols_Guide.pdf

http://www.mpsotc.gr/dat/05CB6DCD/file.pdf  ...... pages 282 -283

I would think.... looking at the above APP-6A from 1998 and then comparing it to the NBC OP sample provided on p. 14 of the B-GL-331-003 circa 2000, I'd think the triangle (presumably w dismounted recce crossbelt) OP symbol would go inside a (blue) rectangle that indicates Fr status.
(As opposed to the (red) diamond indicating En status).

It's always been just a triangle, since the days I was marking them on clay tablets with a sharp stick. Blue for friendly, red for enemy. If the whole map is marked with one colour, put a box around the enemy one.

This isn't rocket appliances guys.

Anyway, NH gave the proper answer to the OP awhile back.

recceguy said:
It's always been just a triangle, since the days I was marking them on clay tablets with a sharp stick. Blue for friendly, red for enemy. If the whole map is marked with one colour, put a box around the enemy one.

This isn't rocket appliances guys.

Anyway, NH gave the proper answer to the OP awhile back.

...and seeing that I've taught on a "few" courses at the Armour School, I might just know what I'm talking about.

/sarcasm

Nerf herder said:
...and seeing that I've taught on a "few" courses at the Armour School, I might just know what I'm talking about.

/sarcasm

Do I have to bring out the ruler here?  :clubinhand:

Although in our case, being crewmen, a yardstick might better suffice ;D

Back