• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Manuge v Her Majesty the Queen (c Oct 30, 2019)

Yeah doesn't sound like anyone's got anything on any of the forums. Given how huge the payout class is (300,000+ vets who have recieved disability claims has to be upwards of 90%+ of living vets) surely somebody would have gotten something by now if they have indeed paid it out.

It never specifically said March 18 is when the money goes out, just when the settlement becomes official. Those must be two different dates

I can shed some light on this and cleared up some confusion and vagueness after speaking with the Class Action and VAC POC on the phone yesterday and the biggest confusion clear up I can now finally confirm.

Us folks like myself who have received several Disability Benefits Lump Sum awards ARE IN FACT entitled to this Compensation. It says right in there when you create the account to apply. It states "Disability Pensions AND Benefits". Key word...BENEFITS. I just submitted my online claim yesterday.

There is no set date(s) when anyone will receive the payouts and for us who received Disability Benefits (Lump Sums) our money (if approved) will be issued by Cheque. It states that online as well once you submit your claim. As for when you will receive your cheque, it can be anytime between now and UP TO 18 March 2025. Here is what you have to do:

1. Go to the veteranspensionsettlement website and you have to create an online account.
2. Click on Submit a Claim.
3. Fill out the fields. The claim is very simple with not much info to input, just your Service Number, address and you will have to upload a Photo ID such as Driver's License.
4. Click Submit and Good Luck and hopefully you will receive a cheque down the road!

I can shed some light on this and cleared up some confusion and vagueness after speaking with the Class Action and VAC POC on the phone yesterday and the biggest confusion clear up I can now finally confirm.

Us folks like myself who have received several Disability Benefits Lump Sum awards ARE IN FACT entitled to this Compensation. It says right in there when you create the account to apply. It states "Disability Pensions AND Benefits". Key word...BENEFITS. I just submitted my online claim yesterday.

There is no set date(s) when anyone will receive the payouts and for us who received Disability Benefits (Lump Sums) our money (if approved) will be issued by Cheque. It states that online as well once you submit your claim. As for when you will receive your cheque, it can be anytime between now and UP TO 18 March 2025. Here is what you have to do:

1. Go to the veteranspensionsettlement website and you have to create an online account.
2. Click on Submit a Claim.
3. Fill out the fields. The claim is very simple with not much info to input, just your Service Number, address and you will have to upload a Photo ID such as Driver's License.
4. Click Submit and Good Luck and hopefully you will receive a cheque down the road!
It literally states on the website "disability pensions" I think the VAC worker gave mixed up/ bad info.

From the website Miscalculation of Disability Pensions Class Action
"
The Federal Court decision approving the settlement of this class proceeding became effective on March 19, 2024.

Later this year, Class Members who currently receive disability pensions directly from Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) will automatically receive settlement payments from VAC by direct deposit or cheque.

Estates, family members of deceased Class Members and other Class Members who do not currently receive disability pensions directly from VAC will be required to submit a Claim by March 18, 2025. Claims can be submitted at the administrator’s website"

You should also note that "other benefits" means benefits under section 75 of the pension act which does not include lump sums.

Ack. I see your point for sure, but I now I can see why people are so confused about this and it's vague info. The interesting part was I specifically asked him "So aside from Disability Pensions, does this also apply to us folks who received Disability Benefits such as Lump Sum Awards?" And they said Yes, you are eligible as you received those Benefits and as long as it was under the VAC umbrella of payment. So idk man, this is all messed up now and even more confusing. I'm going to call again today to see if I can get a different person on the line to put this vagueness and confusion to rest. Buddy even said go ahead and submit your claim. So either way..he is either correct or full of bullshit. lol.

Someone over on the CSAT forum said they called yesterday and was told that anyone on IRB and/or DEC between 2002-2020 also qualifies, for approximately $1000-$1500 for every year they were on those things. That would be in addition to any layouts given for lump sums.

But yeah it is a mess it shouldn't be that hard to clearly tell us what benefits are paid out and what are not

I just called again and a different person confirmed if you received any lump sum beneifts/awards you are entitled to receive and she said to go and submit a claim online.

I just called again and a different person confirmed if you received any lump sum beneifts/awards you are entitled to receive and she said to go and submit a claim online.
Very confusing I wish a lawyer was able to clear the air and say these benefits are eligible. Also very confusing as to why I have to submit a claim as it says if your recieving benefits from VAC no need.

Very confusing I wish a lawyer was able to clear the air and say these benefits are eligible. Also very confusing as to why I have to submit a claim as it says if your recieving benefits from VAC no need.
I don't think you do. The one thing that IS clear on the website is that if you already have a preexisting payout scheme set up with VAC, you'll automatically get paid. The reason nobody has yet is simply because nobody HAS been paid out yet, whether you filed a claim or not. I suspect the "file a claim" advice is simply more like "it can't hurt, you may as well" variety, not that you actually need too. I won't bother until I see ppl have been paid out and I haven't.

Did you call this number from the website? 1 (833) 839-0648

Or just called VAC?

Ok so the site to put in a claim shows exactly what benefits are entitled. This should put a rest to it.

1000022421.png

Did you call this number from the website? 1 (833) 839-0648

Or just called VAC?
I called the website number 1-833-839-0648. She also stated that anyone who is currently receiving an already existing VAC Pension do not need to submit a claim. They will be paid out automatically be direct deposit.

That's already been up for a while, I don't think it really clears anything up. Are we talking pensions both under the old veterans act AND the New Veterans Charter or one but not the other? When it says "pension act for disability" is that a Disability Award (a specific benefit) or just small 'd' disability, as in any vet who got any type of benefit due to any type of disability? And if it IS "Disability Award" is it both the lump sum AND ppl who got the DA paid out as a pension, or just one or the other?

What WOULD make it clear is if they specifically listed the official names of the benefits included, things like 'income replacement benefit', 'lump sum disability award', 'additional pain and suffering benefit', 'diminished earnings capacity benefit' . They do mention 'exceptional incapacity allowance' but that's really not a very common benefit, the other ones I mentioned are much more common.

That's already been up for a while, I don't think it really clears anything up. Are we talking pensions both under the old veterans act AND the New Veterans Charter or one but not the other? When it says "pension act for disability" is that a Disability Award (a specific benefit) or just small 'd' disability, as in any vet who got any type of benefit due to any type of disability? And if it IS "Disability Award" is it both the lump sum AND ppl who got the DA paid out as a pension, or just one or the other?

What WOULD make it clear is if they specifically listed the official names of the benefits included, things like 'income replacement benefit', 'lump sum disability award', 'additional pain and suffering benefit', 'diminished earnings capacity benefit' . They do mention 'exceptional incapacity allowance' but that's really not a very common benefit, the other ones I mentioned are much more common.
The reason all those benefits aren't listed is because all of the ones listed in the photo fall under the pension act more specifically under section 75 and not pension for life and not the new veterans Charter.

Pension act ended in April 2006 when the new veterans Charter took over. The NVC ended in 2019 when the pension for life took over.

Thus this lawsuit pertains to those that still currently receive or did receive benefits under the pension act.

First one is pension act pension for disability NOT pension for life pension for disability.

So anyone who got benefits under the NVC (i.e. anyone who got benefits after 2006) won't qualify? That seems unlikely given the enourmous number of vets who qualify.

Are there really 300,000+ living vets if we remove everyone who qualified in 2007 and later?

So anyone who got benefits under the NVC (i.e. anyone who got benefits after 2006) won't qualify? That seems unlikely given the enourmous number of vets who qualify.

Are there really 300,000+ living vets if we remove everyone who qualified in 2007 and later?
It's not just living deceased are included. Pension act dates back to WWII so really if someone was alive till 2004 from that war and was receiving those benefits then they're family would be entitled.

Back