• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mail and care packages sent to BMQ / BMOQ

O.K. Ladies and Gents

Its been two years since I sent care packages to the sandbox and I need to know if there is anything new out there that you (the military members) would like to receive. I have a dozen or so adopted sons going over soon and would like some new ideas on what to send them.

Just thought I would throw this out there, please move, mods, if you need too. 
As  I am getting ready a few care packages for some army guys in the sandbox that I do not know.  And I think that after doing for quite a few years I have a pretty good idea, I was just wondering, for all you guys and gals that have received care packages, what is the thing that you enjoyed the most, was most memorable, or that made you laugh your a$$ off?
I know homemade cookies are always a big hit, what else?
When my husband was in Yugo, on  the very first tour, I sent him a Frisbee, thinking it would be funny.  A couple of weeks later I got a letter asking to send him another because he had "broken" in when it hit an APC.  Didn't think that was possible. But, what the hell, they're army guys after all!  They can break ANYTHING!!!!  But, I, being the dutiful wife, sent another parcel out with about 30-40 Frisbee's in it, as a joke.  I was really glad to hear that when he got the parcel, everyone was around and there where Frisbee's flying EVERYWHERE!!! He said everyone got a kick out of it.  Made their day!
Anyone else have any stories?
Let me know what you think:)

The most favorite item I got was in the first one I got when I went to Kabul, flavoured drink crystals. I was sick of the taste of water at that point. The most memorable was a package one of the guys got, 10 small water guns. What a kick we had around the Det for a bit.

- A six-foot diameter kiddie pool for Father's Day 2002, in Kandahar.  With cover and beachball.  My gunner arranged for the Echelon to bring out extra water the next day and we filled it up.  Every day he empties out two 25mm Ammo Cans of water and put in two more cans and added bleach.  Had to keep the cover on when not in use due to dust storms.  Fit three lying down, if you staggered head-toes-head.

- Once we changed OPs, we left it and the next troop did not look after it because since they did not think of it first they thought it was not a good idea.

OP APOLLO Roto 0- Backpacks from PSP/Legion/Salvation Army
we still laugh at the Archie Comic books!
Much appreciated

Worst Care Package Moment -OP ATHENA Roto 0- Christmas Dinner-The RSM was handing out this sweet care packages from the Petawawa MFRC and us Ottawa guys just sat there....and sat there....and theres nothing for you, Sorry....awkward.

The RSM felt so bad he tried to give me his.

I've got the drink crystals and KD in the care packages.  I had though about water guns and small blow up pool, but wasn't sure if there was enough water.  So, now I know.  And I taped the UFC fight, will put it onto DVD.  I not sure if they if they would be getting that over there because it's pay per view.  Hopefully, not copyright police see my post and I get in trouble. Whoops!! 
Thanks for the input.  Actually one of my parcels is for some soldier that isn't getting any mail.  So, I'm sure he will appreciate it, whether I hear back from him or not, doesn't matter:)
It seems like sometimes the unexpected is the most fun. 
Thanks again.

Its has to be those McCormick's candy banannas, in the 800g bags. Y&S Twizzlers got to be second, and Malted Milk choc bars too.

EDIT- my tour was 2006-2007, so they still make these, now in a resealable bag.

Barnum's animal crackers go well also.

Candy bananas?  Had to think about that one for a minute.  You're dating yourself again, Wes!!
Got Twizzlers too.

Candy banana's? dateing someone . Heck I took some and tucked em away on my gulf sail last year... Then about mid tour I strung a bunch together  and hung em in front of the buffers "Chief Bosun for the unknowing" office. Boy the Buffer was thinking it was the Snr HT. And from there on it was back and forth between the two. ... But that was last year, but my favorite thing to get was some pics on paper i got emails with pics but nothing i could take away  and hang onto ..

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
Candy bananas?  Had to think about that one for a minute.  You're dating yourself again, Wes!!
Got Twizzlers too.

I love those 'candy nans', bloody hell, my sister sent me at least 10 bags over the 7 months I was in theatre. I did share, but I gobbled them up while in the CP, or in my hovel, watching pirated DVDs when I had time to stratch my balls. Jiffy Pop (butter flavoured) was another good thing to get, along with Dare jubes and jelly beans.

TCBF said:
- A six-foot diameter kiddie pool for Father's Day 2002, in Kandahar.  With cover and beachball.  My gunner arranged for the Echelon to bring out extra water the next day and we filled it up.  Every day he empties out two 25mm Ammo Cans of water and put in two more cans and added bleach.  Had to keep the cover on when not in use due to dust storms.  Fit three lying down, if you staggered head-toes-head.

- Once we changed OPs, we left it and the next troop did not look after it because since they did not think of it first they thought it was not a good idea.

This made me laugh so much. Probably because when I was in KAF last year, a buddies gf sent him one. We filled it up and use to sit in it behind BAT 2. Great way to kill some time.

Actually, that reminds me..... My husband I went into the dollar store last week, looking for things for the care packages.  And there was a plastic blow-up monkey.  And of course, hubby says get this, cuz everyone needs a rubber f@#k monkey doll!!  I laughed, can't imagine filling out the customs form on that one.  Men!

Cyprus  Xmas 1986 a two foot Christmas tree sent to me from the family farm by my aunt. It was packed with lots of sponge/water and still was very green when  received. She used to send my sister and me trees when we moved to Edmonton in 1962 as well

Never, ever once have I thought about sending a tree in the mail!!  Kudos to your Aunt. 

I sent some goodies in my UAB (I will join it in the sandbox in less than 3 weeks) such as M&Ms - will they really only melt in your mouth when it is 40+'C in the desert, Werther's hard candies, Real Fruit and Gummie Bears.  I have been told that Gummie Bears/Worms are a staple for the LAV crews. 

;) The strangest thing I know that was sent by a wife to the guys in theatre was 'inflatable sheep'. :eek:

Frostnipped Elf said:
;) The strangest thing I know that was sent by a wife to the guys in theatre was 'inflatable sheep'. :eek:

With life-like orifices??

EDIT: Or is the plural 'orifi'? Ha!

;D

Frostnipped Elf said:

Ha!! That brings back memories. There were a couple of those floating around Alert too. Hilarious.

Five: Graffiti. Whoever wrote "OSAMA F***S DONKEYS" on the group toilet wall. It's a lie, the donkey backed into me, whilst I was relieving myself at the edge of the mountain.

Ya never know, maybe Osama could use the sheep to wean himself off the donkey!  I'm sure the donkeys would appreciate it!!

ArmyVern said:
Ha!! That brings back memories. There were a couple of those floating around Alert too. Hilarious.
That would be the "I love Ewe"  ;)

Back