• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M109 Shredding

It's like watching the lions have at the Christians.

How long did it take to completely shred the one vehicle?

Cheers,
Dan.

This is borderline blasphemous.  I guess that the one savior is that these guns did not perform an act of war or save someone's life.

While I am not a traditionalist, I can't help but get bothered by the pics.  I very well may have done a few (training) missions in that gun.

I would have thought the barrel and the Royal Cipher upon it would have gotten better attention; I guess not.  Oops, did I just get someone in crap?

Those that would get pleasure out of these pics have obviously never scraped their knuckles or bruised their bodies on one; and more importantly will probably never know or understand the effects that they deliver.

Ubique!!! 

GnyHwy said:
I would have thought the barrel and the Royal Cipher upon it would have gotten better attention; I guess not.  Oops, did I just get someone in crap?

Quick question about the Royal Cipher as I did not know the Guns had one on them.  Was the Cipher an engraving? Also where was it located and do all guns have one on them?

GnyHwy said:
This is borderline blasphemous.  I guess that the one savior is that these guns did not perform an act of war or save someone's life.

While I am not a traditionalist, I can't help but get bothered by the pics.  I very well may have done a few (training) missions in that gun.

Those that would get pleasure out of these pics have obviously never scraped their knuckles or bruised their bodies on one; and more importantly will probably never know or understand the effects that they deliver.

Ubique!!!

I for one did not enjoy this. In fact its in poor taste. Just my  :2c:

dangerboy said:
Quick question about the Royal Cipher as I did not know the Guns had one on them.  Was the Cipher an engraving? Also where was it located and do all guns have one on them?

It is an engraving, and it usually located ~ 2-3 ft from the breach end of the barrel.

dangerboy said:

"The Guns" are the RCHA Colours.  You will find the Royal Cypher on all large Royal Ordinance gun barrels near the Breech end in most cases. 

George Wallace said:
"The Guns" are the RCHA Colours.  You will find the Royal Cypher on all large Royal Ordinance gun barrels near the Breech end in most cases.

This is the Gunner equivalent of seeing The Colours or a Guidon being ripped apart ......

I look at these pics every now and then and am just amazed which is why I have kept them. What I see in the photos are the sheer power of one machine "eating" another. The photo of the claw lifting the track is like an animal tearing out the insides of another. That guy probably loves his job. This originally came as a powerpoint presentation which I think I still have. If anyone's interested I'll post the destruction receipt, it has a few more details including the CFR or serial number and place of destruction.

There's nothing about the emblem though.

This makes me sad as well, I served the 109s of 1 RCHA from 97 - 02. I loved working on and around them.

MOOXE said:
I look at these pics every now and then and am just amazed which is why I have kept them. What I see in the photos are the sheer power of one machine "eating" another. The photo of the claw lifting the track is like an animal tearing out the insides of another. That guy probably loves his job. This originally came as a powerpoint presentation which I think I still have. If anyone's interested I'll post the destruction receipt, it has a few more details including the CFR or serial number and place of destruction.

There's nothing about the emblem though.

It's not an 'emblem'. It's a Royal Cypher.

And your other comments obviously don't take into consideration what others are saying about your pictures.

Relax.  How are they supposed to dispose of scrap medal, dissolve it in fairy dust?

I cannot see why the cypher would have been removed prior to disposal to respect the significance.

Infanteer, I guess it's just one of those things you know happens but don't really want to see.

...and when I toss your colours into a garbage can to dispose of them just remember your post above.

The Royal Cypher is not our colours, the gun itself is. From the Standing Orders:

COLOURS
Traditionally, the guns of The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery are treated as its colours. They serve the same central role in pride and identity as do the guidons or colours of armour and infantry
regiments.

2. The custom of the guns being the colours of the artillery has its origin in the British practice of designating the largest piece in an artillery train as the "flag gun". This gun was accorded the honour of
carrying the equivalent of today's Queen's Colour. Use of the flag gun has been recorded as early as 1722. After this period, the guns themselves came to be regarded as the colours of the artillery as gunners in
battle rallied to their guns in the same fashion as regiments of cavalry and infantry rallied to their colours.

The introduction of rockets and missiles has in some cases changed the nature of the artillery's equipments. Consequently, the term "guns" shall be deemed to include all
Artillery weapon systems used to inflict damage or casualties on the enemy. Thus, rocket and missile launchers, despite not being inscribed with the Royal Cypher, will be accorded compliments when they are on ceremonial parade with formed artillery units or sub-units.

Compliments are not paid by the troops on parade to the guns during roll pasts or other parade movements. The artillery has no equivalent to the "Trooping the Colour" ceremony. It should be noted that spectators will pay compliments to the guns, as colours, during a roll past or during similar movements on formal parades and ceremonies.

Although it may be impracticable in modern times to treat guns as colours in non-ceremonial circumstances, they must be accorded the dignity and respect they deserve. Such practices as smoking on or near the guns, sitting or leaning on them, decorating them for social occasions or leaving them insecure is unacceptable. This respect and treatment should be extended to include all historic Artillery weapon
systems.

Point to note though. The guns are not consecrated in the way that an infantry's colours would be thus making disposal through these means possible. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that flag colours are hung somewhere until they crumble to dust after being retired. Doing so with guns would be impractical. It's still hard for gunners to see these images though...

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Infanteer, I guess it's just one of those things you know happens but don't really want to see.

...and when I toss your colours into a garbage can to dispose of them just remember your post above.

I'll make sure to keep it on my mind for the day Monkhouse throws colours in a garbage can...I might be waiting for a while though because that is just silly.

You're making a false analogy.  There is an appropriate way to dispose of moth-eaten rags on worm-eaten poles.  As jeffb points out, there is nothing against sending guns to the scrap yard - is there a "humane" way to dispose of what is essentially scrap medal?

Do you guys have a way of ceremonially decommissioning guns once they are done their service?

Infanteer said:
I'll make sure to keep it on my mind for the day Monkhouse throws colours in a garbage can...I might be waiting for a while though because that is just silly.

You're making a false analogy.  There is an appropriate way to dispose of moth-eaten rags on worm-eaten poles.  As jeffb points out, there is nothing against sending guns to the scrap yard - is there a "humane" way to dispose of what is essentially scrap medal?

Do you guys have a way of ceremonially decommissioning guns once they are done their service?

We did do a last round fired ceremony,  but not for every gun.

Also, to finish my response to Dangerboy's questions earlier, all barrels (155 and 105) have a cipher.  Not mortars though.

If we buy a 120 there will be much confusion!!!  ???

Back