• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lundy's Lane: a minor miracle of concentration?

OpieRWestmrR

Inactive
Reaction score
The more I learn about the battle of Lundy's Lane (July 1814) the more odd it seems so little attention is paid to how hard our guys worked to get there. Hercules Scott's column and Drummond's column both marched 20km to reach the battlefield - Scott's column probably more, given his initial orders to go to Queenston. Even Riall's force on the spot had covered a lot of ground shadowing Brown's army, withdrawing, then quick-marching back to the Lane when Drummond decided to make a stand. It was an extraordinarily hot day.
The Lane was only 3km from the main American camp south of the Chippawa, where the American regulars outnumbered any force Drummond could hope to scrape together.
By ordering Riall back to make a stand at the Lane was Drummond taking a huge (and conscious) risk of defeat in detail, or was concentrating three widely separated wings no big deal? Was fatigue a factor, or were 19th C British regulars so tough they could cover 20km to fight a hard battle without a worry?

As I mentioned in my pm, I consulted a friend who has studied the war extensively and has written several books on the subject, including one about Lundy's Lane. This is his response to your query:

In those days 20km/12 milesĀ  was a morning stroll and they had most of the day to get there as the action did not commence until pushing 7 PM.

Old Sweat said:
In those days 20km/12 milesĀ  was a morning stroll and they had most of the day to get there as the action did not commence until pushing 7 PM.

Thanks for taking the trouble, and to your advisor.

I'm surprised fatigue wasn't a factor, given the load the men carried and the need in this instance to pile straight into battle as soon as they arrived. My respect for c1812 British/Canadian regulars goes up another notch.

Back