• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lt. General Romeo Dallaire - North Bay

Had the chance to hear him speak at the RCMI a couple of years ago, amazing speaker and has a commanding presence.  For those who can't attend his talks though, Shake Hands With the Devil is being aired on CBC Monday the 31st starting at 2000hrs EST.  Not quite the same, but still gives you a sense of the man.

Damn I just showed up at the armouries to go to North Bay and they said we were not going. They didn't really explain too much, just told me not to worry about it.

Did he not show up or something? or was this just a decision made by our regiment?

I was there, it was a great presentation and he is a wonderful speaker. I almost didn't get in though. The event was not advertised very much. The little there was didn't mention the fact that you had to get a ticket, so I got in line to see if I could get in. Lucky for me there was some room for the people that waited and didn't have a ticket. The tickets were gone on the first day. The faculty at Nipissing were notified, but many didn't mention it to the students. I knew quite a few people who wanted to go, but found out the day of that they had to have a ticket to get in, so they gave up. Unfortunately some of the people who got tickets didn't show up (all the faculty were given one) and I'm sure more people could have gotten in.

vangemeren said:
I was there, it was a great presentation and he is a wonderful speaker. I almost didn't get in though. The event was not advertised very much. The little there was didn't mention the fact that you had to get a ticket, so I got in line to see if I could get in. Lucky for me there was some room for the people that waited and didn't have a ticket. The tickets were gone on the first day. The faculty at Nipissing were notified, but many didn't mention it to the students. I knew quite a few people who wanted to go, but found out the day of that they had to have a ticket to get in, so they gave up. Unfortunately some of the people who got tickets didn't show up (all the faculty were given one) and I'm sure more people could have gotten in.
It's great that you got to hear him speak.   I saw first hand some of the mess that he had to leave behind.   He was definitely left out to dry.   The Rwandans I spoke to were so friendly and polite, it was hard to believe that some of them had committed murders.   I was sending msg that would start of situation normal, RGF soldiers kill 50 in house.   Interhamee malitia kill family of six including 6 mos old infant by hacking them with a machette, etc... Everyone tells me I have the golden tour but I never suffered or saw to much death myself.   I did get to see quite a bit of the country on patrols.   I was even lucky enough to see the mountain gorillas and Dina Fossies place.   Unfortunately, I never talked with Gen Dallaire as he was doing his handover to his replacement (Gen Toutsigneau I believe).   For you who have read the book "Shaking Hands with the Devil", Col Hanaran and CWO Lebrun were our CO and RSM in Kigali.

My Girlfriend Met him about 6 months ago at Georgian college in Barrie Ontario and got my book signed by him.
She said he was an excellent speaker and had some really messed up stories about rwanda.

Back