• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for Navy Personnel

jaysfan17

Reaction score
Good day,

I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum that currently works at PCC in either CFB Halifax or CFB Esquimalt. I was hoping to talk to them about upcoming Naval deployments where a reservist boatswain (me), could try and get on. If so, we could talk more about it through PM as I realize deployments are a sensitive matter. I understand that I should be asking around at my unit, but the person who would know isn't available for the next couple of weeks.

Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum to post my inquiry on, but I thought I'd give it a try. Hopefully somebody out there has heard a few rumblings, but if you guys could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Take care

I want to start this reply with the caveat that I have never worked at CJOC, PCC, or NAVRES. My experience here is from two Op REASSURANCE ROTOs in the last couple of years where we employed reservists, including in my direct chain. If there is someone with experience in the above organizations, please correct me if I've made a mistake here.

Early into a ship's pre-deployment program the TO&E will be determined, which is essentially your roster of which positions you're going to take measured against how many bunks are on the ship. Ie. X number of QL5 Bos'ns, whether or not you take a PAO, etc. There's less flexibility these days as the Navy has pushed hard away from sailing with pers on cots outside of Sea Training programs.

At some point in this process, CJOC directs that a certain percentage of the ship's company will be reservists if NAVRESHQ can source enough volunteers. NAVRESHQ should then identify those staffing requests to their units. NAVRES typically fills more junior billets where the trade exists in both components. Generally you see LS & Below NCIOPs, NAVCOMMs & Bos'ns, SLt NWOs, or possibly roundsman-level MSE types.

I can't say whether NAVRES sends out their manning requests each time a new ROTO gets started, or if they have standing direction to identify and nominate anyone who fits the criteria for this and wants to deploy, who will then be fit into the next available program.

I don't think that getting in touch directly with someone from PCC will help you much. AFAIK, the decision of who they send is done by NAVRESHQ, with the coastal PCC acting as the liaison between the NAVRES world and the ship in question. Your best bet is to identify yourself as early as possible to your direct supervisor as someone who wants to deploy, who can then push that to whoever at your unit works with NAVRESHQ for tasking and employment opportunities outside of your unit/geographical location.

boot12,

In your experience is it just Boatswains with QL5 go on deployments, or were you just using that as an example? I was hoping to complete my package(s) (QL4 and NETP) on a deployment. That way I might be able to get a medal and a promotion out of it. That aside, I get where you're coming from with the logistics aspect. If I recall correctly my unit will send out RO's and sometimes positions for deployments are being advertised by NAVRESHQ, so I'll keep my eye out for that.

Thank you

luttrellfan said:
boot12,

In your experience is it just Boatswains with QL5 go on deployments, or were you just using that as an example? I was hoping to complete my package(s) (QL4 and NETP) on a deployment. That way I might be able to get a medal and a promotion out of it. That aside, I get where you're coming from with the logistics aspect. If I recall correctly my unit will send out RO's and sometimes positions for deployments are being advertised by NAVRESHQ, so I'll keep my eye out for that.

Thank you

The QL5 Bos'n was just an example of a common TO&E debate regarding a position where you need a certain minimum number to operate a ship, but the Deck Dept may not get as many as they'd like given bunking restrictions.

Anecdotally from what I've personally seen and talking to peers on other deployments, the most common rank for reservists is OS-AB. The reason being is that a reservist will show up at some point into the ship's pre-deployment training program, but ideally before major collective training events like WUPS/IMSRT. It's been common lately to get a ship back from deployment, do a crew swap, and then get it back out the door on deployment 6 months later. This lends itself to junior reservists being ideal as there's not much time to bring someone up to speed to a job or kit they're not familiar with. It's easier to integrate a junior Bridge WOD or junior CCR watchkeeper whose duties are more general, vice a PO2 for example whose position will likely be expected to intimately know some Frigate-specific equipment.

luttrellfan said:
Good day,

I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum that currently works at PCC in either CFB Halifax or CFB Esquimalt. I was hoping to talk to them about upcoming Naval deployments where a reservist boatswain (me), could try and get on. If so, we could talk more about it through PM as I realize deployments are a sensitive matter. I understand that I should be asking around at my unit, but the person who would know isn't available for the next couple of weeks.

Apologies if this is the wrong sub-forum to post my inquiry on, but I thought I'd give it a try. Hopefully somebody out there has heard a few rumblings, but if you guys could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Take care

Go through your COC at your NRD. Since you seem to be a Bosn, make it known to the Buffer and DeckO that you are willing and able to deploy. If your unit is still using the request form then fill it out and pass it up the chain. Make sure your AVREP is up to date with the times you are able to deploy. That is about as much as you personally can do besides following up by asking your buffer if he/she has heard anything.
DO NOT CONTACT PCC DIRECTLY!!!

FSTO said:
Go through your COC at your NRD. Since you seem to be a Bosn, make it known to the Buffer and DeckO that you are willing and able to deploy. If your unit is still using the request form then fill it out and pass it up the chain. Make sure your AVREP is up to date with the times you are able to deploy. That is about as much as you personally can do besides following up by asking your buffer if he/she has heard anything.
DO NOT CONTACT PCC DIRECTLY!!!

I don't think I'm at that stage right now. The only person I've spoken to about this at my unit is the guy who works under the TrgO and he informed me that I don't get a choice in a where the Navy goes even if I were to do everything you've indicated above. When I'm ready and available I'll definitely do what you suggested.

Don't worry, I'm not foolish enough to contact PCC. The farthest I'll go outside the CoC is this forum.

Thank you FSTO

luttrellfan said:
I don't think I'm at that stage right now. The only person I've spoken to about this at my unit is the guy who works under the TrgO and he informed me that I don't get a choice in a where the Navy goes even if I were to do everything you've indicated above. When I'm ready and available I'll definitely do what you suggested.

Don't worry, I'm not foolish enough to contact PCC. The farthest I'll go outside the CoC is this forum.

Thank you FSTO
You're welcome. The Navy is screaming for bodies and if you are qualified, fit and available you'll be going somewhere!

Cheers and good luck!

FSTO said:
Make sure your AVREP is up to date with the times you are able to deploy.

Hi, with experience as NRD TrgO, as FSTO writes, update your AVREP. Do this as early, and as often, as you can or need to. The AVREP is the tool that your Career Manager shop at NAVRESHQ will use to look for people to fill billets. Be specific with what you want in your availability and in the remarks, e.g. NETP and whatever other courses/packages you're trying to complete.

Also, at most NRDs you should be able to approach the TrgO directly. It's the TrgO's job to both support your training, and assist in employment opportunities where available. The TrgO will have, or be able to find, the current deployment/employment opportunities, and will likely have already advertised them to your unit. If your own unit TrgO is away, or doesn't have the answer, ask to be put in touch with another TrgO from your region and they will help as best they can. As I say, it's the TrgO's job to do just the sort of thing you're trying to achieve here.

You also write that you spoke to someone in your Training office already, who said that you can't really pick where the Navy goes. That's true. However, as a reservist, you have to examine your personal situation and goals as they relate to the Navy's expectation that you will become trade qualified. Apply those criteria to where you want to sail (and what you put in your AVREP). If your goal is to get your package done, NETP, and become eligible for promotion, there are PLENTY of  short and long-term sailing opportunities, on several classes of ship. You can start weighing off many signatures simply on ORCA NRETS events that your unit or region will organize. If your goal is a medal, however, as you have also indicated, then the opportunities for participation in a named Operation deployment as an untrained/unqualified sailor are perhaps less frequent, and you may need to execerise some patience. The goals of training and participating on named Operations can be achieved simultaneously, however, just be aware that simply sailing whenever/wherever the Navy needs you could be a much faster route to qualification.

In the meantime, make sure you take advantage of all training opportunities at your unit (C7/Sig requals, FORCE Test, First Aid... also lectures or DLN courses like GBA+, OPERATION HONOUR...). This will ensure that when the time comes, you're as close to ready to go and qualified as you can be.

TLDR:
1. Update your AVREP
2. Talk to your TrgO
3. Go to Sea

Back