• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

London (England) Trip Accn: Union Jack Club <vs> Victory Services Club

Good2Go

Inactive
Reaction score
I am planning two wks ann lve in London, England, for late Nov / early Dec.  I have narrowed the accn down to two:  the Union Jack Club OR the Victory Services Club.  I have never been to London before and I will be traveling solo.  I am a CF female officer in mid-30s (if this matters for your advice).  Can anyone who has stayed at either of these please provide me with some input to help me make the decision?

Cheers!

Having drunkenly passed out in the standard cheapo room at the Union Jack club many a times after a night out in London, I would advise you to not have too high expectations. Single (and not a North American single) squeaky bed, small dresser, kettle and instant coffee/tea bags. Shared bath down a hall, and if you are a lucky a 2'x4' window with a view of the building opposite.

As stated, this is a brief description of the cheapest room type, which at the time was something like 34GBP a night. You can get ensuites for quite a bit more.

Having said all that, it is the cheapest hotel for miles, centrally located, and staggering distance to Soho/leicester square. And opposite waterloo station, so should you tire of the great smog, you can hop on a train to anywhere on the south coast of England.

Never stayed at the Victory Services  club, but it is equally centrally located, although more in walking distance of piccadilly circus, Buck-P, and the west end/marble arch.

I would also recommend looking into hostels. There are a number of large scale, ''brand name'' hostels, which are very clean, safe, and lacking in eastern european butchers. For the same price as the above you can get a single room, shared bath, but with a younger, less military crowd.

Thanks for the heads-up on the UJC.  Money isn't too big an issue and I don't want a room with no ensuite.

Actually, I have been thinking about staying wk1 in the VSC and wk2 in the UJC so that I get two different views of the city.  I daresay it all sounds a bit odd, but I will be travelling light!  The part about the train station did not occur to me at all -- I thought that the train stn was for LRT (or something like that).

Book waaaay in advance, they both run at very high occupancy.

Both are located in ok parts of town near tube stations.  For the Union Jack Club I wouldn't advise going further south that Elephant and Castle at night especially, but you are really near Waterloo so you can hop on the chunnel easy (buy tickets ahead of time on the net for best prices).  You are also near the Imperial War Museum, and walking around the south bank can be real interesting (in a good way).  Some good pubs there too, better than what you will find around Trafalger/Whitehall/The City/etc.  Stay away from pubs in tourist areas, if you're hungry, Pret makes really good sandwiches.

VSC is near the end of Oxford, and lots of shopping and parks.  You are also near Marlybone station which is where a lot of national rail services to the north and west call.  So if you are planning trips to Oxford, Birmingham, Cotswolds, or Wales(I think) that is nice and close.

Last year I stayed at the VSC and it was nice.  Older building, but good breakfast and comfortable rooms.  Just remember that share accom means shared washrooms if you're worried about that.  En-suite means regular hotel room style.

If you want any other info PM me, I just got back from three years over there.

My wife and I stayed at the UJC in 01 after going on a cruise from Dover. We had a standard room with a queen size bed and an ensuite. It was quite basic, the location was great. I think it cost us around 55 GBP /night for the room. I was quite happy with the hotel and would stay there again.

If you are going to be in the UK over New Years , think about going up to Edinburgh for Hogemany, it's the wolrd biggest streetparty, great bands ect. get your tickets early.

Noneck

ALL:

Thank you so much for taking the time to put in your advice; it is much appreciated!

Cheapest and safest accommodation in London is the Tower.  No kidding.  The Fusiliers home station is inside the Tower of London.  I found the email of the secretary and they have two beds, bath / shower and kitchenette on the third floor of home station inside the walls.  Armed guards right across the square, Yeoman Warders on patrol, best security in the world (because of the crown jewels of course).  Cost me in 10 Brit Pounds a night a few years ago.  The beds were supposed to be for officers in London looking for a bed for the weekend but many Canadian mil members have stayed there over years.

Back