• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistics of Noah‘s Ark

That which was originally posted by recceguy is marked in bold

The last thing I want to do is get into a religious debate. Anyway, here‘s how I see it.

If an Off-Topic forum has such limitation to what content is on it, why is it called off-topic. Or do you mean there‘s a certain level to a off-topic thread? I can see why threads like this can annoy this kind of forum. Still, some people like to input their faith into God during their service, sort of a recognition I believe.

Almost every culture, around the world, including North & South America, Africa and the East, has a history of this, so called, Great Flood. Surprisingly, they all seem to have taken place at around the same time. This is the only, kinda concrete evidence this MAY have taken place.

I don‘t think there‘s any "concrete evidence" at all. We can intrust what some records say that somethign happened thousands of years ago, or we could take in consideration what could effect this sort of ‘flood‘. Erosion could be a key in the determination if this ever happened. If you were to examine the general area where it is said the flood took place and look for signs of it ever happening that‘d be a good place to start off with. But they have tried this, and most of the time come empty handed.

Not all mountains known to the local people were the highest in the world. It may have been the highest piece of ground in the area of a five day walk, if they had never gone past this point. The water level would only have had to rise high enough in that area to "float the boat". They had no means to measure true depth.

Yeah, if God told you to write something down, you‘d consider it to be true right? Since he supposedly created the world, he should know everything about it.

You take on face value that Noah live over six hundred years, but don‘t believe the amount of animals in the ark. Go one further, how about feeding the multitudes with a couple of fish, some bread and a bottle or two of wine?

The Bible is a book of fable, myth and some fact written by various people over centuries that is taken for, well, gospel by many people. Even the writers within don‘t agree on the so called facts of the same story. There are also many books or chapters fom the Bible that have been excluded, hidden, burned and lost to history by various religious factions who were in control at the time. This was because their religious leaders either couldn‘t explain the events, or the events didn‘t fit their doctrine.

I don‘t know what could fit in the doctrine, it isn‘t something with a basic guidelines and stuff here and there. If you take in consideration the large meaning, it would seem biased. I find it quite funny you say that some chapters of the Bible were destroyed. I also do take in mind that in history the dictators were highly respected and could get away with such things. Which makes it completely possible to happen, now what struck me is that I‘ve never thought of something even close to that. Even though it could have happened, really shows me that you can‘t know much about anything.

Much of what is written was not witnessed first hand, but passed on verbally for generations til someone wrote it down. And we all know how stories get embellished. People wrote what they wanted others to hear. What about Jesus‘s older brother John? Just as religious and pious. He‘s was equally famous, at the time, to the point of being silenced also, by getting tossed off the Temple wall. Can‘t have two heros at the same time, in the limelight though, can we? Might confuse the issue and split the vote.

Even furthermore, how do you know John was tossed over a temple wall? Or if Jesus ever really walked on Earth, that is why faith is such a important component.

As too your point about incest within Noah‘s family, explain how only Adam and Eve populated the earth, with God‘s blessing, even after one of only two sons, Cain, slew Able. No sisters have been mentioned, so did Cain procreate with Eve, his mother? But he took a wife. Where did she come from?

The Bible has been written over and over again, perhaps a mistake int he conversion of the text. Anyhow, who brought up Adam and Eve int he first place?

You can be a zealot and believe implicitly without question, or take it as a good read that poses some intriguing questions without commitment. It is far from complete or fact. Religion is built on faith. On the plus side, it provides hope and solice to it‘s believers. On the other end of the scale, it creates war, death and destruction for the closed minded, those unwilling to accept other‘s views.

Wow, I guess we agree with the faith thing. I also don‘t think we can blame, death, war and destruction on a religion. Even if it may encourage it.

Either way, although I might be wrong, but this question would be better posed on some religious site where I‘m sure you‘ll get more than enough and, possibly, better qualified discussion.

Whose to say religion has it‘s limits to which "site" it reaches to? I‘m sure there‘s religion in other sites, maybe not as much as this one. Still you have to admit, there‘s no real guideline to it.

This may be the Off Topic Forum, but it‘s still a military site. Religious discussion will never reach a concensus. Witness the Middle East, Bosnia or even the Evangelical pundits in North America. Muslim, Buddist, Christian, et al. It ALWAYS breaks down into and argument with varying consequences, be it war or hurt feelings.

So your saying, religion doesn‘t have any purpose on a military based forum?

I‘ll reserve the option, which I have been entrusted with, to lock this thread if I see it getting too weird or obnoxious. Keep it on the scientific level that it started with or it‘s gone.

Science is defined as what? Also, my username is in obnoxious. I‘ll keep that in your mind for now.

P.S. To the person who asked, I was born in the 1990s. Just ask cheeky_monkey

Hey NOX, heres a site i think you will appriciate. Give it a go.

http://totl.net/Gods/

Ah oui, mon ami francaise. Ma mere etait ne en Montreal. Well would you look at that! Same age. What are the possibilities of that.

Ghost, that‘s a funny site. Seriously they‘re like having religious debates in forms of a "war". I think it‘s my style.

CHEECKY_MONKEY: Of course we‘re the same age dopehead, we‘re also in the same class. Hehehe, you got banned :p Well, so did I, I guess.

Anyhow, really do you think in that age a person could built a ship that big? It‘s almost impossible. That‘s what got me started int he first place.

I have another great site. It blames God for the 911 attacks and is trying to rally people to start a war against heaven. Figured if i posted it people would get upset though. I‘ll send you the link if you want and you can help us fight heaven.

Well, is it meant to be a literal text/historical record of actual events? Or is it just a reproduction of a myth or fable, that seems to be prevalent in many civilisations?

Personally I don‘t think someone could have built a ship that large, and your argument on the logistics is a fine discourse on that.

However, I think in the context of the bible that that part of the story is supposed to show how a man‘s faith can drive him to do seemingly impossible feats.

So, no, it would seem impossible to construct a ship of that size in that age. Within the context of the bible that idea of impossibility serves the purpose behind the story which is, IMHO, displaying how Noah‘s faith in God drove him to construct this enormous ship despite the fact that everyone who would have seen this would have called Noah crazy for doing it.
Lo and Behold, the flood comes, Noah‘s alive, faith in God got him through it..Ta Da!

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/noah.asp
here‘s a website that answers all your questions.
however, im hoping you guys realise noah‘s ark is a myth.

If an Off-Topic forum has such limitation to what content is on it, why is it called off-topic. Or do you mean there‘s a certain level to a off-topic thread? I can see why threads like this can annoy this kind of forum. Still, some people like to input their faith into God during their service, sort of a recognition I believe.
recceguy didn‘t say you couldn‘t discuss it - he said if it got too weird or obnoxious, he would lock the thread. We can, and will - lock any thread that we think contradicts the spirit of discussion that the owner wishes to have here. That is his right. You agreed to the rules when you came.

Nox,
I have as much right to conjecture as anyone. You also have no proof for or against, only your own opinions. I have also ran into Bible punchers who opened discourse just like yours. They‘re whole reasoning was not for discussion, but to open a forum for their puritanical belief. I refuse to be baited by such childish antics. And like muskrat said, I didn‘t say don‘t discuss it. Just don‘t let it get carried away to the soapbox level. It also doesn‘t pay to get smart mouthed with moderators. Your getting too excited already to read straight. If you truly planned to have Nox mean Obnoxious, with that being your intent here, your on a fine line already. For now we‘ll give you your rope. Better to build a bridge with it, than use it for a short fast trip with a sudden stop. Have fun, I‘ll be watching. ;)

Hahaha! I loved the rope joke. **** I‘ve got to use that some time. Also, no I did not come here to be obnxious, I just simply noticed my username was in it.

Yeah, I did take what you ment wrongly. I thought you were shunting all religion discussion from the forums.

Also, I don‘t consider myself a Bible puncher. I was just stating the obvious, or that‘s what it seems to me.

Originally posted by Nick:
[qb] I find it quite irritating when people try to dispel stories of faith and the notion of God simply because their everyday 5 senses tell them otherwise. I'm currently reading Brian Greene's â Å“The Fabric Of The Cosmosâ ? and he talks about the possibility of not only 4 dimensions that we currently know of but also 11! 11 dimensions! Well how can this be? Our everyday senses can't understand this conclusion? I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there is indeed far too much of the universe to understand and we have a limited understanding of it because we evolved (yes I am an evolutionist but do have faith in something far greater then all of us) to a point where we are only aware of things that we can observe from our 5 senses because that is all we needed to survive.

IMHO I think creationism is a pseudo-science and offers no real benefit to anything and serves only to perpetuate archaic fundamentalism with no pursuit to the truth. Having said that I also feel that dismissing the idea of God simply because you haven't physically sensed him is equally absurd. Why else do we actively pursue knowledge of the universe if not to understand why we are here? [/qb]
You should also read The Elegant universe, same author. Goes into a lot more detail and depth about String Theory and it‘s meaning for modern science...
But remember the key word here. Science.

I‘ve read Stephen Hawking‘s A Brief History in Time and his words in his last paragraph of the book pretty much sums up my position.

However, if we do discover a complete theory, it should in time be understandable in broad principal by everyone...If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason - for then we would know the mind of God.
You can argue that the advancements of these theories is done only for, well, the advancements of these theories. That‘s your prerogative, however, I feel that their is a more basic need or motivation which drives us to understand our universe.

Not all of us subscribe to the sm0ke doctrine so you should try to be a little more conscious of statements you make such as this one:

But remember the key word here. Science.

"Hitchikers Guide" is a good book, of course the counterargument for solely relying on your eyes and ears is that perhaps what your eyes and ears see is not how it really is...but that can get seriously twisted.

I think solely relying on either faith or science will leave your more in the dark than anything else.

Someone who is particularly faithful might find ways of reconciling the science before him with his inner faith and spirituality.
Someone who is very scientific might be better off leaving open the idea that there are some things that are incorporeal and beyond scientific understanding.

Back