• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Loading the Tac Vest

P

P Kaye

I just got a Tac Vest.
What do people normally put in the utility pouches of their TVs?
In the old webbing, with the large but-pack, you could put your complete rainsuit, field dressing, bush hat, gloves, cord, etc, etc.
There doesn't seem to be nearly as much room in the TV.  I think I've decided I have to forego the rainsuit, for starters.  Curious... what do people normally laod in the TV?
Also, have any reservists used their TV on course yet, or do most course instructors still insist on the webbing?

well there was a thread about this somewhere, I'll try to find it but..to answer your question, I am doing SQ now and they issued me the tacvest and we have to use it ;)

From Clothe the Soldier - http://www.army.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/2/2711_e.asp

Yeah, but based on what they show on Clothe the Soldier, you can't take much in the TV.  As I indicated, I used to stuff all kinds of stuff in my butt-pack and  utility pouch, which was very handy.

I don't wanna revive that big long "tac vest does not make the grade" thread and all of its arguing but for those who felt that the TV doesn't have enough carrying capacity, what do you use to supplement it?  I've personally used a nuke bag but I feel that something that I can quickly access would be better suited...also, something I can wear while wearing the ruck.

So, what is out there?

Kit list I have recieved:
Front Left Utility - 2X field dressings, Mag Charger, Ear plugs.
Front Right Utility - 1X sock system, Cam Paint.
Left C9 - Gloves, Combat Hat, FMP.
Inside Pocket - Ration and/or Map.
The rest of the pockets as per CTS site.
also a note on the kit list - C9 gunners encouraged to attach both C9 pouches and wear Camelbak for hydration.

Not my personal opinion but what ive been told.

Who really needs the rain suit anyway?   Throw it in a nuke bag or assault pack.

If you have a vest you don't wear webbing on the courses.

On a good course they won't care were stuff is located as long as you have it and it works for you, on the bad ones they want it in a certain pocket in a certain order   ::).

I can fit

FMP                Remember you have inside pockets. You can also zap strap a military belt to the bottom
cleaning kit      of your vest and put a canteen holder on it if you don''t have a camelbak. Then put two
field cap          utility pouches on. No one gets issued grenades on EXs so stick you camo and dressing
issued gloves   in those pouches.
nomex gloves
cam paint           I bought a Tactical Tailer assault pack that will hold all I need for a recce patrol or OP
field dressing       including camelback, plus it has webbing on the outside were a pouch for the hand
mag charger       held radio will go and one for the C9 box if I get stuck with it which doubles as a  
compass              utility  pouch  if not.
butane lighter
field mirror         Socks in the TV??   If you are changing your socks then you have time, put them in a
flashlight            pack.
para cord
foot powder (only on course)
sunscreen     (only on course)
KFS              (only on course)
lip balm

You can fit all that in your TV?? 

>> Remember you have inside pockets

Good tip!  I didn't notice the inside pockets.

>> You can also zap strap a military belt to the bottom of your vest...

I'm not quite sure what you mean... you mean attach a webbing belt to the bottom?  How would you attach it?

>> I bought a Tactical Tailer assault pack that will hold all I need for a recce patrol

Is this a Wheelers item?

Tactical Tailor Assult pack
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/products/packs/three_day_assault_pack/

Daves surplus has a couple in CADPAT at the moment also.

I also forgot that my touqe is in there right now as well and at the moment only one utility pouch and canteen carrier.

>> You can also zap strap a military belt to the bottom of your vest...

I'm not quite sure what you mean... you mean attach a webbing belt to the bottom?  How would you attach it?

If you have, or buy a military web belt like this one
41WB02OD_1.jpg

Then take zap straps, go around the belt and through the little plastic hangers? on the bottom of the vest. Since ours is the only vest made that does not have belt loops this seems to be the best way.

Then you can attach "after market" (because again our vest is not compatible with any other) canteen carriers, sheaths, pouches, butt packs ect. to it.

The "Small Pack System" includes a (a couple of them) fanny pack pouch that you wear with a belt, or attach to the back of the vest, It's about the same size as the old butt pack.

Farmboy said:

On a good course they won't care were stuff is located as long as you have it and it works for you, on the bad ones they want it in a certain pocket in a certain order   ::).

Sorry about bursting your bubble but can you not think of the reason why things must be in certain pockets??

Like how about if your fireteam partner gets injured...............your not going to use your field dressings, your going to use his..............you need to know that it will be in the same place on his kit as it is on yours.  That is just one example but come on, there has to be a standard. It has to be the same for your rucksack outer pockets as well. As for you saying that a good course means that you can put your kit anywhere you want??? IMHO, you are right out of 'er!!!!

You guys need to do some searches and read the other tacvest thread, despite what CHIMO!!!!! and the other NCOs have been trying to pound into you, some of you are just not "getting" what fighting order is suppose to mean.

Standardizing Kit for the feild is usless, is there any other reason beyond "if your fireteam partner gets hurt and you need to use his dressing". To have a kit layout standard forces people to conform to uncomfortable and sometimse usless setup. Being a C6 gunner in my unit, I have no were near the same setup as a rifleman. IMO, but onwards.

Farmboy, you should have socks in your vest. You are thinking like a toon(i'm a reservist too). You are supposed to be self sufficiant from your vest/webbing for 24hrs(you can survive on one IMP). Thus socks are really nice and sometimes necesary to have.

One thing I have picked up from this thread thus far
A) rainsuit complete, dont wear the pants, you will only get wet anyways, they dont help much at all, they are loud, so leave em at home were they belong.
B)i turfed my canteen and pouch the second i had 5 minutes to put both C9 box/utiliy pouches on. I use a 2qt canteen with a long hose that runs up over my shoulders and has a bite peice on the end(more water, more space on your back(vs. Camleback) for wear with a ruck.

foerestedwarrior said:
Standardizing Kit for the feild is usless, is there any other reason beyond "if your fireteam partner gets hurt and you need to use his dressing". To have a kit layout standard forces people to conform to uncomfortable and sometimse usless setup. Being a C6 gunner in my unit, I have no were near the same setup as a rifleman. IMO, but onwards.

Having the experience of applying dressings in the field and of scavenging ammunition and supplies off bodies, let me tell you that when you are slightly occupied by people trying to spoil your day, the last thing you want to do is to stay out of cover and go through every pocket and pouch trying to find what you really need.  H*ll hath no fury like a Colour Sergeant who finds your kit not in order.  It is in a particular place so that it can save your life.

Secondly, please use the spell check feature.

Glad to see that you think having a standardized kit list is stupid. Maybe that is why you have complete 2 x QL4 courses. At least that is what you put in your profile.

Have a good day.

big bad john said:
Having the experience of applying dressings in the field and of scavenging ammunition and supplies off bodies, let me tell you that when you are slightly occupied by people trying to spoil your day, the last thing you want to do is to stay out of cover and go through every pocket and pouch trying to find what you really need.   H*ll hath no fury like a Colour Sergeant who finds your kit not in order.   It is in a particular place so that it can save your life.

Secondly, please use the spell check feature.

Great comment! He is just another example of people on here who haven't experienced anything other than exercises over a weekend.

CHIMO!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, let me try to clarify our positions before someone loses an eye.

There are 2 seperate issues we are debating 1) The usefulness of specific KIT LISTS, and 2) a uniform LAYOUT of kit.  This post will also allude to my previous point of many not understanding what webbing is for.

Having one's webbing laid out in a uniform manner is a Very Good Thing, as my collegues above have amply explained. However, the gypsy caravan crowd do have a point in that most of the kit lists I've ever seen (ops 100 anyone?) are completely useless for the field.

Your webbing is designed for providing easy access to stuff you need RIGHT AWAY. It is not a carryall for your personal snivel kit  Your webbing SHOULD be used to carry the following:

Ammunition for personal weapon (may not always be just 5 mags, and don't forget about the M203)
PRR/521 and batteries
Ammunition for support weapons, including M203 bombs,  linked MG ammunition, M72s.....
Grenades/Pyro
NVGs and batteries
Field dressing/minimal 1st aid supplies
Maps
Water, if there is any space left.

Thats the only kit list you need, and it definetly SHOULD be standardized.

When you jump out of the truck and sprain your ankle, or get sand in your ovaries, and otherwise render yourself NS, your plt still has use for your kit and must be able to easily access these vital plt stores and serialized kit. Your buddy has no use for your gloves, or bushhat or foot powder or any of that other crap, so keep it somewhere else. (I keep mine in my camelback, and the small soft stuff in my pant cargo pockets, that's what those are for, by the way). I HIGHLY doubt that you will be able to fit all of the above list in your webbing and still have room left for anything else, especially with the TV, so you can stop worrying about where to put your extra pair of socks. These things are extra important if you are the  machine gunner, your buddy absolutely needs to just grab your kit and go without any unneccesary hassle. Keeping your pers kit seperate will also mean you get to keep your gloves and bobble hat and rations until help finds you.

So, to summarize:

Training with a fulll, realistic loadout: Good!
Training with none of the expensive stuff, but still loading your webbing as if you had to carry the expensive stuff: Not as good, but not much choice in the Mo.
Training with none of the expensive stuff, and filling your pouches with sticky buns and buckets of fried chicken because "we'll never see more than 5 mags anyway.": Stupid, recipe for disaster.

The next guy who asks  "In which pouch do you guys keep your bushhat?" needs a bloody verbal.

Oh, and of course, if you're a sapper or medic or jimmy, you'll need to carry the sapper/medic/jimmy stuff too. 

So just take the easy way out and go infantry.  :)

Back