• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Little bit of Naval Aweseome (HMCS OTTAWA ships moral badge)

I'm amazed, given the desire to fiddle, build empires, etc. that CRCN and Comd RCAF haven't turfed branch cap badges, command pins, and whatnot from their respective DEUs.
It's been 55 years since unification, the other branches/L1s aren't new or powerless.

Bring back square rig in place of NCDs!
Pedant alert

DEU

I'm amazed, given the desire to fiddle, build empires, etc. that CRCN and Comd RCAF haven't turfed branch cap badges, command pins, and whatnot from their respective DEUs.
Hell, RCAF re-added command pins recently.

Also, RCAF GOFOs have both sleeve and shoulder rank (of two different styles), because reasons. You can’t even say it matches other nations, because it doesn’t. The RCAF GOFO ranks could have been simplified to just the bars too on the shoulders, like the RAF.

I know exactly what I was suggesting ;)
Apologize Season 3 GIF by Billions

I was only half joking.

But the point here is that a branch and a command cannot be compared. By definition, any command, like the RCN, will include all sorts of branches, including Log. Moreover, the Log Branch includes numerous trades as a branch, which most other branches do not.

Nonetheless, I very much doubt that the log branch, as it stands encompasses 20% of the CAF, which it would have to in order to be bigger than the RCN.

I was only half joking.

But the point here is that a branch and a command cannot be compared. By definition, any command, like the RCN, will include all sorts of branches, including Log. Moreover, the Log Branch includes numerous trades as a branch, which most other branches do not.

Nonetheless, I very much doubt that the log branch, as it stands encompasses 20% of the CAF, which it would have to in order to be bigger than the RCN.

What equates to being in the RCN ?

Lots people in RCN DEUs never even see an ocean in their careers. Let alone are in RCN billets.

The Log Br is 16'000 people according to the Google machine.

I've seen my trade make as many MS/MCpls as just about some Navy trades are in total.

What equates to being in the RCN ?
Easy: Do you work for MARLANT, MARPAC, COMNAVRES or Naval HQ Ottawa? You are in the RCN. According to Wiki, that's 12,000 people.

Lots people in RCN DEUs never even see an ocean in their careers. Let alone are in RCN billets.
First of all, there is no such thing as an RCN DEU, there are three environmental DEU, one of which in "Naval", but it is not exclusive to the RCN, which is a command. That is why lots of people wearing the Air or Land environment DEU are in the RCN and people wearing the naval one are in the RCAF or Canadian Army. I believe that the only "command" that has its own specific DEU is SOFCOM.

The Log Br is 16'000 people according to the Google machine.
I would love a reference, because none of the tabs I open in wiki about the Log Branch / RCLS indicate any numbers.

I've seen my trade make as many MS/MCpls as just about some Navy trades are in total.
Now I know you are being facetious because you know it just doesn't work that way. Obviously (p.s.: not an ad for Virgin Plus), your trade (supply tech, I believe) makes more MS/Mcpl than, say, there are Clearance Divers, or the dental technicians, or met techs. There are so many trades with a small cadre in the CAF that it is normal for something like that to happen. Perhaps the Infantry could say the same thing about making more Mcpl than your trade, well maybe not presently, but in wartime, for sure. It wouldn't prove anything.

Easy: Do you work for MARLANT, MARPAC, COMNAVRES or Naval HQ Ottawa? You are in the RCN. According to Wiki, that's 12,000 people.

First of all, there is no such thing as an RCN DEU, there are three environmental DEU, one of which in "Naval", but it is not exclusive to the RCN, which is a command. That is why lots of people wearing the Air or Land environment DEU are in the RCN and people wearing the naval one are in the RCAF or Canadian Army. I believe that the only "command" that has its own specific DEU is SOFCOM.

I would love a reference, because none of the tabs I open in wiki about the Log Branch / RCLS indicate any numbers.

Now I know you are being facetious because you know it just doesn't work that way. Obviously (p.s.: not an ad for Virgin Plus), your trade (supply tech, I believe) makes more MS/Mcpl than, say, there are Clearance Divers, or the dental technicians, or met techs. There are so many trades with a small cadre in the CAF that it is normal for something like that to happen. Perhaps the Infantry could say the same thing about making more Mcpl than your trade, well maybe not presently, but in wartime, for sure. It wouldn't prove anything.

It's a DEU. And SOFCOM has one now too.

As for promotions... you're proving my point... I've seen us promote in the neighborhood of 200 to 300 pers to MS/MCpl. That's usually our biggest number.

Google is pretty easy to use..

Type in the search bar:

"how many people are in royal canadian logistics services?"

And that's what I got:

Last edited:
Funny, I typed the same thing you did in Google and didn't get the selection you got. Then again I don't see why the article about the service's birthday would come up on top.

Correct that it's a DEU. The "E" stands for "environment", not Command.

Is 200 to 300 promotions in the storesman (or whatever it is called nowadays) trade, or is it in the whole branch, which consists of seven different trades?

Funny, I typed the same thing you did in Google and didn't get the selection you got. Then again I don't see why the article about the service's birthday would come up on top.

Correct that it's a DEU. The "E" stands for "environment", not Command.

Is 200 to 300 promotions in the storesman (or whatever it is called nowadays) trade, or is it in the whole branch, which consists of seven different trades?

Just in my trade. Storesman is fine with me, but we are actually called Material Management Techs now.

Just to clarify there are no elements technically. There are Force Generators and Force Employers. The RCN like CMP, the RCAF ect are Force Generators. Force Employers are SOFCOM CJOC ect.

And SOFCOM is also at the same level as the RCN, CA and RCAF.

Just in my trade. Storesman is fine with me, but we are actually called Material Management Techs now.

Just to clarify there are no elements technically. There are Force Generators and Force Employers. The RCN like CMP, the RCAF ect are Force Generators. Force Employers are SOFCOM CJOC ect.

And SOFCOM is also at the same level as the RCN, CA and RCAF.

So "bin rat" is out?

So "bin rat" is out?

I haven't heard that used in in some time. I really don't care to be honest. I prefer Naval Storesman. Normally we're called storesys.

CJOC has devolved Naval Force Employment to the MCC which is located in Halifax and is under the command of MARLANT. From what one of my buddies who worked at CJOC told me, in simple terms, Startop is the Army's Component Commander location and Winnipeg is the component command for the Air Force.

This little title page from within CJOC is quite telling (to me) on how the real world works in the CAF.
Maritime Coordination Element (CJOC)

Mission: To provide operational targeting advice and recommendations to CJOC/SJS while meeting the objectives, and representing the interests, of the RCN.

CJOC has devolved Naval Force Employment to the MCC which is located in Halifax and is under the command of MARLANT. From what one of my buddies who worked at CJOC told me, in simple terms, Startop is the Army's Component Commander location and Winnipeg is the component command for the Air Force.

This little title page from within CJOC is quite telling (to me) on how the real world works in the CAF.
Maritime Coordination Element (CJOC)

Mission: To provide operational targeting advice and recommendations to CJOC/SJS while meeting the objectives, and representing the interests, of the RCN.

Absolutely. Ships and shore establishments manage the crewing of ships. Having said that when an RCN asset is deployed on a mission it comes under CJOC, a knock on effect of that is how we have become entitled to various pay benefits. We also become beholden to its pers movements, to and from theatres; and alcohol policies while on missions.

Back