• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lineman able to take combat courses?

INFRES

Inactive
Reaction score
I was jsut talking to a friend who is a Lineman and he was told that he can take courses that I previously thought were only infantry related such as urban warfare, recce, and parachuting. If he was to take one of these courses would he be required to have his basic infantry qualification course completed first?

In theory, any member of the army can do a parachute course, and most members of the army have or will conduct urban warfare training. We're also all taught to do recces, but not to nearly the same extent that an infanteer would be.

Yeah thats what i figured but would a trade like that need to take a basic infantry course first b4 takin more advanced courses lie kthe oens mentioned?

If your unit can justify sending you on the course for a reason, it doesnt matter what trade you are.Mabee a sig will be employed in a sniper section on tour for some reason, then he/she gets trained and does the job.It all boils down to universality of service.

Yah, but that is a Sig Op, who get dispatched to infantry all the time. Since Lineman do not get attached to infantry units, would they still be able to take some infantry courses? I was told yes because it is a combat trade, but I was told by two cpls and ahve not asked any high ranks yet.

If you want to be an infanteer, why don't you just go infantry?

Well mostly because being a Lineman allows me to get a civi job in hydro alot easier. Also because I like being a Lineman and we are needed. I am only asking these questions because I was told bout the possibility and want to confirm them, not that I really want to do it, although it would be nice, I am not going to change trades to do it.

If you are a lineman, then you're asking the wrong people these questions. Ask your det commander.

Lineman do get posted to Infantry units and can be loaded on Infantry type courses, (usually as an OSQ). I spent 3 years at 1R22R. We are a "Zero" trade and are still seen by the training establishment as a Cbt Arms "affiliate". According to established doctrine, we take part in all operation types except airborne, air-mobile and amphibious (I can't find a link, but look up Signals in Battle, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2). We are trying to modify parts of our training to reflect that linemen in a tactical environment typically operate in two- or three-man crews without any D&S support. A couple of years ago, the battle school in ValCartier developed some IAs and other tactics based on recce section tactics (also small units) for us to try and apply. I am not sure what was ever done with the data developed.

Just a Sig Op said:
If you want to be an infanteer, why don't you just go infantry?

Linemen are soldiers, too. Any training that makes a soldier that much more effective, is Good training. A remuster is not required.

Through

The Army is going more towards developing their junior leaders for employment in different environments.  If you know of a crse coming up, such as patrol pathfinder, there's a few things you need for pre-reqs, but I know the CPC is looking to open up this trg to other trades, especially Sigs types who may find themselves cut off from any sort of D & S.  Sigs used to get a few seats on the para courses, but this goes to the LIBs first.  Your 0- trade buddies may be able to get you on this trg. 

Thank you, that was the type of info I was looking for. I will ask my trg warrant about this when I get the chance. :)

Back