• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LEOPARD TANK QUESTION

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just wondering- does the CF's Leopard Tank have an automatic or manual transmission? I've been trying to clarify this simple detail but all the sites I look up are no help such as www.globalsecurity.org  I heard the American M1 Abrams tank has an automatic transmission. Thanks to anyone in advance. :salute:

It has an Automatic Transmission.

It is Super Charged, not Turbo Charged (as in those old CF Recruiting Ads).

It has already been said, but ja, it is automatic.  It can do a fair clip too!  Muwahahahaha!!
I just did the research (again), and for the extra weight we have put on the tank (more, higher quality armour and newer technologies) we sure did not do much, if anything to increase the power from the engine. Not that it matters too much.

830 HP Mercedes V10 Multi fuel powerpack, pushes that 46 tons along at a half decent speed.  On the tank track along red route, I got air in my AVLB (minus bridge).

Leo ARV at C SQN RCD/ A SQN 8CH had the old german shifttower.put in highest gear and go....or shift up and down manually based on engine speed. It would do 65 to 70 km/hr on flat blacktrack.

3a would do 70 km/hr on flat and 75 km/hr downhill....yeeehaa
The OC would have s%$ his drawers if he knew the centre periscope dropped into my lap on that one.

I Jumped a road in Shuffield in 3B in '85 - ditch to ditch, trying to keep up to 3A. 

Alrighty....automatic 4 speed tranny....I prefered the German Shift tower as well.

As for speed....had one pack do 83 km/h on flat ground. It was straight from Germany and it screamed.....the BC held on for dear life. Mind you that was in a C1 not a C2.

As for the ARV....73km/h was the best it could do.

As for specs....the engine is rated at 825BHP...not 830. Check the manuals.

Regards

Things I hated to hear while sitting in the gunners seat as your booting cross country.....

"Hold On...."
"this is going to hurt"
"wait till I secure my coffee then gun it....."
"that looks like a good one lets take it........."
"this will wake him up...."
"hey look photographers......"

The Worst thing to hear was in the RMA and someone said "my god look at her" knowing the only view you had was of a gun sight or the CC nuts.

what are supposed to happen to our leopards, now that the strikers are around?

mover1 said:
The Worst thing to hear was in the RMA and someone said "my god look at her" knowing the only view you had was of a gun sight or the CC nuts.
What?   No Sky full of clouds through the episcope?

Well there was that, the loaders feet, what ever you could see through the drivers web gear on the escape hatch 

gunners were goth before we knew it was cool, black eyes, bad posture, and pasty white faces........

Oh to have a time machine and do it all over again........

Well, Drivers were right out of Star Trek - Black on one side - White on the other.....  ;D

Just as long as their antenna didn't break off........

Funniest thing I ever saw was 23 polevault in Mudslingen.....No stab at full bore.....I has him in my sights and wham he came to a dead stop....

The other great was Chuck (of the SUM 41 album fame) take the 3 knife edges on an obstacle course, wow was that hull ever damaged , it made the year book in 93, what a mess..

George Wallace said:
There are as yet NO STRYKERS in the CF.

Do you mean that they are not in use yet, but we are still trainning on them or what? Because on my BMQ I had an ex-tanker, and he was extremly pissed off when ever someone mentioned them, and said how big of a waste they are...

It is a semi automatic transmission in my eyes.

If I select gear 1 it will ONLY run in 1st gear.
If I select gear 2 it will ONLY run in 2nd gear.
If I select gear 3 it will run in 2nd and 3rd.
If I select gear 4 it will run in 2nd thru 4th.

The higher the gear, the wider the turn.  So new drivers need to learn to "gear down" by letting it drop from 4th to 2nd before turning their first corners, or it gets kind of scary.  Especially on the slalom portion of the driving circuit here in Gagetown!!!

And on a side note we have 8 tanks still at the school.

"As for specs....the engine is rated at 825BHP...not 830. Check the manuals."

From the Leopard C1 Operators Manual, AVLB:

830 HP @ 2200 RPM.

yeah saw some guys playing around with them this summer up in Gagetown, some 2RCR guys took us to watch, and identify them as part of our tank/plain/helicoptor identification classes.

"Our Leopards are in Wainwright."

- Yup.  So am I George.

;D

Tom

To expand further on my answer, I have the Leo manual in pdf in front of me:

-Transmission-
Type: 4 Gear planetary type power shift and steering transmission with hydraulic torque converter.

Type of power-shift:  electro-hydraulic

And yes, it does say 830hp @2200 rpm.

Back