• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Latest Foot found off the Shores of BC seems to be a Hoax.

George, good point.  All the other parts have fallen off and only feet with floating shoes have continued on.  It's plausible.  The scary thing is that we are at six feet, and none of them match the others.  I wonder if DNA testing can type the cultural origins?  Scratch that, we have such cultural diversity in Canada that it would be pointless.

One thing I did mention in another forum on this topic is that if I were the owner of a missing persons' report in BC and was related to the missing person, I'd be getting in touch with the task force and offering up my DNA to help narrow the field down.

The sixth foot is a hoax. It was an animal paw in a sock and shoe.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080619/sixth_bc_foot_080619/20080619?hub=TopStories

Police say two of five feet washed up on B.C. shores belonged to same person
By Terri Theodore, The Canadian Press

VANCOUVER - Part of the mystery surrounding five disembodied feet that have washed up on the shores of British Columbia has been solved, but investigators still haven't connected the remains to any missing people.

Investigators said Thursday that DNA testing has determined two of the five feet belonged to one man, another foot is from a female and the remaining two right feet are from males.

They say they're reviewing almost 300 missing persons files and haven't yet been able to match the DNA from the feet to any missing people.

B.C. coroner Jeff Dolan said there was no evidence the feet were severed.

"In all cases, these remains appear to have naturally separated, or disarticulated, from the body," he said. "There are no tool marks or trauma on any of these remains."

A team of investigators has been working on the bizarre case since the first foot washed up last August on Jedidiah Island in the Strait of Georgia.

But RCMP Const. Annie Linteau said because investigators don't know who these people are, they can't say how they died.

"We have to be aware that these could be homicide victims," she told a crush of media.

Police said a foot found on Valdez Island Feb. 8 and another foot found June 16 on Westham Island, more than 40 kilometres away and across the strait, belong to the same man.

Last Aug. 26, a right foot was found inside a man's size 12 Reebok sneaker on Gabriola Island, in the strait.

And another foot laced inside a New Balance runner, and the only one belonging to a woman, was found May 22 on Kirkland Island in the Fraser River.

A sixth discovery last month turned out to be a hoax, with an animal paw stuffed inside a shoe, but that didn't deter public interest in the case.

The disembodied feet have been the subject of watercooler speculation and wild conspiracy theories.

Linteau said police aren't ruling anything out but they have no reason to believe the incidents are related in any way.

"Until all of those remains have been identified we are going to explore all possibilities," Linteau said.

Investigators, who include RCMP and Delta police officers and the coroner's office, released details of the size, brand and production date of each shoe.

Pictures of the shoes were displayed at the news conference in hope someone might recognize a running shoe belonging to a missing loved one.

Investigators have reviewed all missing persons cases in B.C. and some in Alberta in an effort to identify the victims but Dean Hillderbrand, a forensic scientist working on the case, said DNA alone provides limited information.

The testing confirms the sex but not the race, age or the date of death.

"These were obviously very challenging samples. Being in water is the worst-case scenario," Hillderbrand said.

He said the DNA samples are yielding useful information but "the DNA doesn't give any information about how long these samples have been in the water."

Family members of five men who died in a float plane crash near Campbell River three years ago were hoping for a DNA match for brothers Doug and Trever DeCock.

Only one of the five bodies was recovered and the wreckage was never found.

Two of the men who disappeared with the plane have been ruled out, but Linteau said investigators are still working on a possible DNA connection to the brothers.

Pathologist Dr. John Butt said shortly after the fifth foot was found that the reason the feet were discovered at all is because they were tightly laced in buoyant running shoes.

He said feet would simply be separated from the body by the forces of the ocean current as the bodies decomposed and the shoe, along with the foot, would float to the surface.

Linteau said Thursday police are consulting with forensic anthropologists, oceanographers and a forensic entomologist to help in the investigation.

"We have received many tips from the public," she said. "Many of those tips include theories as to the origin of the recovered feet."

Earlier this week police in Sweden say a human foot was found inside a shoe on a beach near a popular tourist community

Burials at sea ????

http://yosemite.epa.gov/r10/ECOCOMM.NSF/Oceans/sea+burial

I can't find the article I read the other day about American and Canadian burials at sea
and how much harder it is here... body can't be embalmed and a 30 day wait for a permit...

BUT.. in the states you can do a full casket burial at sea provided it's weighted properly.
The article I read (link sadly not provided) said that some companies have failed to properly
weight. 

If I can find the link.. I'll post it.  The above will have to suffice as guidance on the topic.

Hmmm.

Maybe the right feet found in BC go with the lefts now washing up in Sweden?? This is just too wierd.

The remains being those of people previously burried at sea I can even fathom -- but why just the feet?? And why the right feet (except for the one left)?? Physics??  :-\

ArmyVern said:
Hmmm.

Maybe the right feet found in BC go with the lefts now washing up in Sweden?? This is just too wierd.

The remains being those of people previously burried at sea I can even fathom -- but why just the feet?? And why the right feet (except for the one left)?? Physics??  :-\

Remember that guy who laced a couple bottles of Advil years back.?  Killed some people I think, but I wasn't alive so someone else can verify that.  And when he was caught, he said he just did it for the hell of it.  Maybe thats what this is, some sicko trying to stir up a fuss.  But if so, where are the rest of the remains?

Very odd.

MedTechStudent said:
Remember that guy who laced a couple bottles of Advil years back.?  Killed some people I think, but I wasn't alive so someone else can verify that.  And when he was caught, he said he just did it for the hell of it.  Maybe thats what this is, some sicko trying to stir up a fuss.  But if so, where are the rest of the remains?

Very odd.

Tylenol.

I was around.  :mad:

ArmyVern said:
Tylenol.

I was around.  :mad:

Thaaats right, thanks Vern!

Hey don't get mad.  ;)
"As soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!" - CAKE

Deadpan said:
They had Tylenol back then? :eek: ;D

Sorry Vern had to say it :D
-Deadpan

You're dead...pan.

Trinity said:
Burials at sea ????

The majority of burials at sea these days are of cremated remains, either scattered or in an urn.  For these bodies that are legimately consigned complete to the deep, my supposition is that the families of the departed would, most likely, appropriately dress the body.  What then would the probability be of such bodies wearing sneakers?

Blackadder1916 said:
  What then would the probability be of such bodies wearing sneakers?

Obviously... very low.  Albeit I've had one service where that was the case... but so far it has
been the exception.  And the two burial at sea I attended/presided over were cremated.  But
it is a new fad in the states for burial at sea due to it being greatly cheaper... Once again I am
remiss to find that link :( 

I admit.. not a high probability but at least an option to consider.

Maybe it's just mermaids shedding their baby feet?

They were asking if anybody recognized the shoes from a loved one that may be missing..

Can anyone here honestly tell me they know what shoes there significant other wore today??  They are really reaching for answers.. I have said it before.. they should be DNA sampling anyone who has a missing person's report if they haven't already..

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
Police say two of five feet washed up on B.C. shores belonged to same person
By Terri Theodore, The Canadian Press

VANCOUVER - Part of the mystery surrounding five disembodied feet that have washed up on the shores of British Columbia has been solved, but investigators still haven't connected the remains to any missing people.

Investigators said Thursday that DNA testing has determined two of the five feet belonged to one man, another foot is from a female and the remaining two right feet are from males.

They say they're reviewing almost 300 missing persons files and haven't yet been able to match the DNA from the feet to any missing people.

B.C. coroner Jeff Dolan said there was no evidence the feet were severed.

"In all cases, these remains appear to have naturally separated, or disarticulated, from the body," he said. "There are no tool marks or trauma on any of these remains."

A team of investigators has been working on the bizarre case since the first foot washed up last August on Jedidiah Island in the Strait of Georgia.

But RCMP Const. Annie Linteau said because investigators don't know who these people are, they can't say how they died.

"We have to be aware that these could be homicide victims," she told a crush of media.

Police said a foot found on Valdez Island Feb. 8 and another foot found June 16 on Westham Island, more than 40 kilometres away and across the strait, belong to the same man.

Last Aug. 26, a right foot was found inside a man's size 12 Reebok sneaker on Gabriola Island, in the strait.

And another foot laced inside a New Balance runner, and the only one belonging to a woman, was found May 22 on Kirkland Island in the Fraser River.

A sixth discovery last month turned out to be a hoax, with an animal paw stuffed inside a shoe, but that didn't deter public interest in the case.

The disembodied feet have been the subject of watercooler speculation and wild conspiracy theories.

Linteau said police aren't ruling anything out but they have no reason to believe the incidents are related in any way.

"Until all of those remains have been identified we are going to explore all possibilities," Linteau said.

Investigators, who include RCMP and Delta police officers and the coroner's office, released details of the size, brand and production date of each shoe.

Pictures of the shoes were displayed at the news conference in hope someone might recognize a running shoe belonging to a missing loved one.

Investigators have reviewed all missing persons cases in B.C. and some in Alberta in an effort to identify the victims but Dean Hillderbrand, a forensic scientist working on the case, said DNA alone provides limited information.

The testing confirms the sex but not the race, age or the date of death.

"These were obviously very challenging samples. Being in water is the worst-case scenario," Hillderbrand said.

He said the DNA samples are yielding useful information but "the DNA doesn't give any information about how long these samples have been in the water."

Family members of five men who died in a float plane crash near Campbell River three years ago were hoping for a DNA match for brothers Doug and Trever DeCock.

Only one of the five bodies was recovered and the wreckage was never found.

Two of the men who disappeared with the plane have been ruled out, but Linteau said investigators are still working on a possible DNA connection to the brothers.

Pathologist Dr. John Butt said shortly after the fifth foot was found that the reason the feet were discovered at all is because they were tightly laced in buoyant running shoes.

He said feet would simply be separated from the body by the forces of the ocean current as the bodies decomposed and the shoe, along with the foot, would float to the surface.

Linteau said Thursday police are consulting with forensic anthropologists, oceanographers and a forensic entomologist to help in the investigation.

"We have received many tips from the public," she said. "Many of those tips include theories as to the origin of the recovered feet."

Earlier this week police in Sweden say a human foot was found inside a shoe on a beach near a popular tourist community

Dear valued happy members and friendly guests,

Methinks something is 'afoot' here.

Sorry, had to say it.

I guess I should get back to work...

But I am still perplexed at this  "...four showed signs of disarticulation, which means the foot separated naturally from the leg, not through severing... "  Since how does a foot become naturally separated?  ;D

TGIF

OWDU

As far as I understand after speaking with a good friend of mine who was one of the original members of the E Div. RCMP Dive Team (with Robert Teather) , the body decomposes, it loses its elasticity and "hold together-ness" (not sure of the correct scientific term).  Other factors include catching on rocks or other debris and being pulled apart as it decomposes in the salt water and constant jarring of the waves.

Remember the Peterson murder down in the states? http://www.courttv.com/news/2003/0416/testing_ap.html
Scott Peterson dumped his pregnant wife's body off his boat into the ocean and the bodies was found on the beach; specifically his wife's body missing the head and parts of limbs.

Contra Costa officials said they have contacted an "eluviation" expert -- someone who studies how water affects corpses -- to determine roughly how long the bodies were in the water.

Here's another bit of info from this case that discusses body decomposition in water, showing that in "some months" what can occur to a body:
http://www.courttv.com/trials/peterson/111703_ctv.html

Dr. Peterson testified that the mother-to-be's remains were so badly decomposed that he could not determine how she was killed and could not offer a time of death more precise than "some months" before she was discovered. Her head, forearms, hands, lower legs and most of her internal organs were missing.

I just heard on the radio here that the Mounties have ruled out 2 of the plane crash victims with familial DNA and are working on the others so, it seems, that we're getting closer to ruling out one possibility.

Not sure if this is possible, but  maybe they are from a natural disaster from far away.  I know it's hard to identify how long a body has been in the water. But, if it's in a running shoe maybe that might 'preserve' it better than if it wasn't. 
I know when I lived on the Queen Charlotte Islands as a kid, you could find the glass balls with nets still attached that where used for fishing somewhere in Asia.
It is very strange.  Hopefully the mystery will find a conclusion soon. 
It must be hard for family members that have a loved on missing wondering if this is maybe their loved one.

Back