• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kneepad Recommendations

Arctic Acorn

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in the market for some kneepads for my PLQ Mod 6, and I was hoping youse guys can throw some recommendations my way. I did a thread search, but they don't really cough up any useful brand names/retailers. I'm hoping the combat arms types (or anyone else with experience) can sort this poor old REMF out. 

Cheers,

:dontpanic:
A.A.

I belive Canadian peacekeeper carries them.As well,other online Kitshops(RCR,PPCLI)carry them as well.
Good luck on course.When I did my JLC in 98,I would have killed for a set!(Oh Lawfield corridor,I know you well ;D)
Hope this helps!

Dave's Army Surplus sells Alta kneepads in Cadpat.  The Altas have gotten some of the best reviews by users compared to other kneepad brands ie. Hatch or Hellstorm.  The fact that they're Cadpat is just icing on the cake.

Check them out at:  www.davesarmysurplus.com

At the risk of revealing my identity, I shall offer some opinions on this subject as it is near and dear to my heart.

Soft foam volleyball kneepads worn under the combat pants are better than hard plastic skateboard style kneepads for the following reasons:

- Better grip and traction, especially on hard, smooth surfaces. When I go down on one knee  to take up a firing position on a hard surface, the hard pads slip around right away. Soft foam doesn't, and provides more cushioning.
- More comfortable bindings than the crap velcro straps. I've worn mine for a week straight without noticing them. Soft foam also fits better.
- More durable, no plates to get snagged and fall off.  velcro straps are horrible for this. I tried wearing hard pads on the outside while walking thorugh bushes. It doesn't work.
- No plates to get mud trapped under.
- Easy to clean. Just toss them in the wash. You don't have to do any cleaning on PLQ do you?
- Lighter and easy to pack tight.

Anything by Hatch is good.

I have Hatch tac gloves and knee-pads... the ones from the canex are the most popular and work real well.

Re: the pads at Dave's Surplus:

I have heard nothing but good things about these. They're about $33 bucks with the mil discount, and work wel by all accountsl. I don't have any, but I know of several buddies that do have them and they all say good things. Most of these guys normally avoid 'Gucci Kit', so the fact they bought them says a lot to me.

I noticed you are on the east coast. Maybe Dave's delivers?

I'll certainly look into Dave's. I've seen the store referenced on the site before.

Thanks for the replies, folks. If anyone else has anything else to contribute, I'd love to hear it!

A.A.

Yea, Daves ships to all over Canada.

I got a pair of Hatch OD Kneepads, they work great for me. I know a few guys who got the CADPAT knee pads from daves an they like them a lot.

But the CADPAT> knee pads I've seen aren't entirely cadpat. The plastic pad is in black, but the fabric for the rest of the knee pad is in CADPAT.

One problem with the Dave's surplus kneepads: the cadpat is not waterproof and the padding is foam rubber, which means when they are wet, its like wearing a sponge on your knees. This hasn't been a huge problem for those that have them (as far as I know).

If it did turn into a problem for someone, I'm sure you could spray it with some sort of waterproofer.

The only problem I have with my Hatch kneepads is that the velcro chafes after walking with them for awhile. Not a big problem doing mechanized stuff, but I'd never wear them on a dismounted ex.

I'm liking what Britney Spears has to say about the volleyball pads. I always thought those were only for chicks.. wait... maybe they are! I'd say its worth looking into.

A slightly off topic post, but I cant seem to view the "Dave's Surplus" site... All I end up seeing is white... and the lil loading bar at the bottem moves about one every 5 mins :-[

Any help on this would be quite appreciated...

Back onto kneepads... I have a fellow cadet who uses Vollyball pads, he finds they work quite well. But unfourntuantly he is a cadet so it doesnt go through the hardcore'ish stuff that you guys do... So I deffinetelly say give the pads a try

Ghostwalk said:
The only problem I have with my Hatch kneepads is that the velcro chafes after walking with them for awhile. Not a big problem doing mechanized stuff, but I'd never wear them on a dismounted ex.

I'm liking what Britney Spears has to say about the volleyball pads. I always thought those were only for chicks.. wait... maybe they are! I'd say its worth looking into.

If you are on a long hump with the Hatch kneepads, slide them down to your ankles.   When you need them they will be there.   I have worn mine on a few "dismounted ex"s, and the odd Op or two.   They will do you quite fine.   As will the volleyball pads.    What ever makes you happy.

Ghostwalk said:

you would says that ghost.
I like my hatches. I don't have problems wearing them for long periods of time that all often. well worth the $40 I spent.
Greg

If the hatch kneepads you guys love so much are the same one's I was issued (and all the hatch pads I've seen are the same), then I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with them, especially in muddy or bushy terrain. Do youself a favour and wear them on the inside of your pants. The pants and your legs will be ripped to shit but at least you won't fall over as much.

Be glad you don't have to clean the suckers with a toothbrush before handing them back to stores in disgust.

Britney Spears said:
If the hatch kneepads you guys love so much are the same one's I was issued (and all the hatch pads I've seen are the same), then I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with them, especially in muddy or bushy terrain. Do youself a favour and wear them on the inside of your pants. The pants and your legs will be ripped to crap but at least you won't fall over as much or have 3 pounds of mud on each knee after an hour
Be glad you don't have to clean the suckers with a toothbrush before handing them back to stores in disgust.

Britney Spears said:
If the hatch kneepads you guys love so much are the same one's I was issued (and all the hatch pads I've seen are the same), then I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with them, especially in muddy or bushy terrain. Do youself a favour and wear them on the inside of your pants. The pants and your legs will be ripped to crap but at least you won't fall over as much.

Britney Spears,
I don't recall myself as a 15 yr old air cadet to be such an expert on topics such as the most effective knee pads to use during section attacks. I was more worried about aerodynamics and such.

A.A.,
Unless you have knee problems (ie PFS, prepatellar Bursitis) its isn't worth the effort to get knee pads for the PLQ. I did sect during my PLQ, and I have humped ruck with 3 RCR and never needed them for standard dismounted ops. OBOUA on the other hand...

I'm afraid I'm not seeing the joke here... Areodynamics?

I never claimed to be an expert. I couldn't care less what kind of wacky kit you guys want to blow money on. If these fine gentlemen insist on learning the hard way, well that's what training is for, right?

EDIT: "You guys" meaning the ones buying the kneepads, not Armymedic :)

I have found that I really only use one (the right) knee pad so I leave the other at home or in my ruck/truck. Most of the time it resides around my right ankle where I hardly notice it while walking or driving.   

Armymedic,

Yeah, I do have PFS. It only pops up very occasionally, but I'd rather not take the chance. 'An ounce of prevention', right?

A.A.

Back