• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

King Charles III

I wish them both well. Nobody deserves that diagnosis.

Although I am curious about the concept of "preventative chemotherapy". They found cancer . . . it is being treated. I assume she (or the writers) were trying to soften the news.

Perhaps now the folks who hounded, pushed and simply couldn't wait for her to return to the public like she said she would will STFU.

I wish them both well. Nobody deserves that diagnosis.

Although I am curious about the concept of "preventative chemotherapy". They found cancer . . . it is being treated. I assume she (or the writers) were trying to soften the news.

Perhaps now the folks who hounded, pushed and simply couldn't wait for her to return to the public like she said she would will STFU.

A more clinical term would be "adjuvant therapy".

What is adjuvant therapy?​

Adjuvant therapy is often used after primary treatments, such as surgery, to lessen the chance of your cancer coming back. Even if your surgery was successful at removing all visible cancer, microscopic bits of cancer sometimes remain and are undetectable with current methods.

Adjuvant therapy given before the main treatment is called neoadjuvant therapy. This type of adjuvant therapy can also decrease the chance of the cancer coming back, and it's often used to make the primary treatment β€” such as an operation or radiation treatment β€” easier or more effective.

Adjuvant or neoadjuvant therapy can cause significant side effects, and these treatments don't benefit everyone.

Which treatments are used as adjuvant therapies?​

Types of cancer treatment that are used as adjuvant therapy include:
  • Chemotherapy. Chemotherapy uses drugs to kill cancer cells throughout the body.
  • Hormone therapy. For cancers sensitive to hormones, certain treatments can stop hormone production in your body or block the effect of hormones.
  • Radiation therapy. Radiation therapy uses high-powered energy beams, such as X-rays or protons, to kill cancer cells. It can be given internally or externally.
  • Immunotherapy. Immunotherapy works with your body's immune system to fight off any remaining cancer cells by stimulating your body's own defenses or supplementing them.
  • Targeted therapy. Targeted therapy is designed to alter specific abnormalities present within cancer cells. For example, a targeted therapy is available to block the action of a protein called human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) in women with breast cancer.

A more clinical term would be "adjuvant therapy".

What is adjuvant therapy?​

Adjuvant therapy is often used after primary treatments, such as surgery, to lessen the chance of your cancer coming back. Even if your surgery was successful at removing all visible cancer, microscopic bits of cancer sometimes remain and are undetectable with current methods.

Adjuvant therapy given before the main treatment is called neoadjuvant therapy. This type of adjuvant therapy can also decrease the chance of the cancer coming back, and it's often used to make the primary treatment β€” such as an operation or radiation treatment β€” easier or more effective.

Adjuvant or neoadjuvant therapy can cause significant side effects, and these treatments don't benefit everyone.

Which treatments are used as adjuvant therapies?​

Types of cancer treatment that are used as adjuvant therapy include:
  • Chemotherapy. Chemotherapy uses drugs to kill cancer cells throughout the body.
  • Hormone therapy. For cancers sensitive to hormones, certain treatments can stop hormone production in your body or block the effect of hormones.
  • Radiation therapy. Radiation therapy uses high-powered energy beams, such as X-rays or protons, to kill cancer cells. It can be given internally or externally.
  • Immunotherapy. Immunotherapy works with your body's immune system to fight off any remaining cancer cells by stimulating your body's own defenses or supplementing them.
  • Targeted therapy. Targeted therapy is designed to alter specific abnormalities present within cancer cells. For example, a targeted therapy is available to block the action of a protein called human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) in women with breast cancer.
I get that. If chemo was truly 'preventative', like a vaccine, we should all be doing it. I guess it is preventative in that it attempts to prevent it from coming back. It just struck me as an odd use of the word.

I get that. If chemo was truly 'preventative', like a vaccine, we should all be doing it. I guess it is preventative in that it attempts to prevent it from coming back. It just struck me as an odd use of the word.

There are a lot of "odd uses of words" with patients/general public when referring to medical protocols/procedures, some of it unintentionally confusing but mainly it's to simplify understanding by people who didn't spend years in school learning the fancy terms.

I'm pretty sure that this means that France has finally accepted the claim of King Edward III and that France is now part of the United Kingdom.
Or that the UK is admitting that they are part of Europe ;)

I'm pretty sure that this means that France has finally accepted the claim of King Edward III and that France is now part of the United Kingdom.

reads French History book, years 1789-1799

Me thinks not..

200.gif

reads French History book, years 1789-1799

Me thinks not..
Oddly enough, even though the French Revolution and the reign of terror are iconic and well-remembered, it wasn’t actually the end of monarchy in France. Aside from the well-publicized Emperor Napoleon and his somewhat less well-known nephew Napoleon III, even the Bourbons managed a bit of a comeback post-Waterloo, bouncing back after the public execution of Louis XVI and the death in prison of Louis XVII. It wasn’t until 1870 during the Franco-Prussian War that Republicanism finally took hold for good β€” but it was defeat in battle that drove that transition, the guillotine wasn’t necessary at that point.

Back