• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Keeping skills up on my own time

Munxcub

Inactive
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is a completely ridiculous idea or not... I've been toying with the idea of getting my own personal firearms in order to keep shooting skills up on my own time. I'm under the impression that there isn't a lot of range time in the reserves (I've only recently been sworn in, and am completely untrained and inexperienced.) I was thinking a BHP would be a good idea, but wouldn't know what to do for a rifle or if it would really matter as far as keeping skills up is concerned (like would any rifle really do? or try and get something with similar qualities as what is used in the CF...).

Anyways, that's about the jist of my idea and just curious as to what other people do, or if it's even worth doing.

I've been toying with this idea myself for a while now, and both myself and my wife are interested.  Get in touch with HitOrMiss on this site and he can direct you to very knowledgeable people on this subject.  I know in Petawawa, there are a few people who shoot on their free time.  Most of those I saw that serve have an AR-15 type rifle or carbine that they shoot, this type performing and handling exactly like the issue C7/C8.  Hope this helps.  I myself would be looing to get an AR-15 type with a 9 mm pistol one day, as they are both weapons I would use on duty.

Hmm I thought the AR-15s and the like were not permitted for civy use. But I was reading on the CFC site today and they were listed as restricted. I'm not that well versed in the differences between restricted and prohibited, both those terms say "allowed but under strict rules and a lot of 'for instances' " but not outright banned/not allowed. I was thinking of just some kind of .223 with similar barrel length, ballistics (if that's even possible...)

edit: Ok, I read up on CFC again on restricted vs prohibited and have that all sorted in my head. Will have to look into this stuff.

A BHP would be a good investment. However a restricted AR rifle is going to run you between 1,000 and 2,000 plus ammo which is pricey.

If you are a recruit and likely money will be tight, get an SKS or a 10/22 and someone who can teach you to shoot properly.

Well that's sort of what I was trying to feel out on the rifle side. I got the impression that for pistol skills it makes sense to practice on the one you'd be using in the field (not that it'd be likely I would use a pistol in the field...) for muscle memory etc. But wasn't sure if a rifle would be the same, or if anyone would work for keeping the basics of shooting and everything sharp.

edit: Plus I wouldn't be doing this until after I have been through training in order to practice everything I learn there, as opposed to learning bad habits or something before hand...

You will likely get more rifle training in the military than pistol training. Civilian pistol training is generally better than the military, the miltary rifle training is more unique. For around $1,000 you can get a BHP, some ammo and your Restricted PAL. Start there and if your budget affords it look at riflies.

If you're planning on getting a BHP, or any other type of pistol, you'll need a Restricted Possession Aquisition Licence (RPAL) anyway. Once you have that, you can purchase your AR also. The AR is restricted, like a pistol, not prohibited.

You are correct recceguy, the AR does not require any more "stuff" to acquire, other then the multi-coloured paper stuff we hold so dear. :D

Munxcub said:
You are correct recceguy, the AR does not require any more "stuff" to acquire, other then the multi-coloured paper stuff we hold so dear. :D

Plastic ;)

I'm al ittle short on time right now to run over to CGN.com, but I heard a rumour recently that restricited licences are on hold right now?  As in they aren't handing out anymore for the time being?  Is their any truth to that?

gravyboat said:
If all your looking for in a rifle is to keep your marksmanship sharp, buy a .22.  A Ruger 10/22 or the lower priced more accurate alternative, the Remington 597.   Join a club, or find the nearest public range and shoot till your hearst content.  You will notice improvement when you go to the range with the C7.  As a bonus .22 LR is cheap to shoot.  50 rds usually costs less than $5.  While .223 will probably cost you at least $1 per round.  That adds up after a few days of shooting.  If you have any questions about the Remington 597 PM me.  I've got one that is good for dime sized groups at 50 yards.

great idea with the .22,  they are fun to shoot 
by the way .223 is $7 to $8 per box of 20
cheaper prices start at 30cents a round if you buy in large quantities

I'm on gravyboat's side....

I purchased a Ruger 10/22 about two months before I headed out on pre-deployment in Edmonton.... (TF 1-08), I've shot about 1500-2000 rounds out of it, plinking, shooting in the standing, kneeling, sitting, as well as prone. I noticed a difference when I hit the range in Edmonton for C7 PWT 2 and 3, as well as Gunfighter. The principles of marksmanship remain the same, regardless of the calibre or the variances in the shape of weapon.

Love my 10/22, as well as the $12.00 to $15.00 for 500 rounds or more. It'll have to sit in the vault till I get back...... ~tear :'( ~

Eric

That's all very good to know, as I think my wife would have an easier time letting me get a 22 like that before getting an AR-15 or something of that family. :D Plus, I could maybe convince her to try a few shots at that calibre.

www.canadiangunnutz.com has some very knowledgablefolks when it comes to firearms and the like. They also have a very good buy/sell/trade section if your in the market.

If your looking for a BHP to keep up your skills but want to keep your cost down have a look at www.marstar.ca

Back