• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

the what??
Basically the standard US Saddle for the Civil war till today.

I didn’t appreciate all the history of it - it reminded me of a mule ( as i had believed it to be sort of blend of Western saddles and English. As until @Kirkhill had mentioned it all I knew of its genesis was the originator and the wives tales of it being a hybrid, and had not realized that it was actually a modification of the Hungarian Cavalry saddle )

Maj. Gen. Glenn Dean, the service’s Program Executive Officer for Ground Combat Systems, said that the Army managed to move money around that will allow the service to finally equip the Elbit Systems-produced Iron Fist Light Decoupled (IF-LD) onto a handful of Bradleys, but cautioned that the total procurement is more in the “dozens” than fleet-wide.

For years the service has been hunting for APS’ to integrate onto M1 Abrams main battle tanks, Bradleys and Strykers to protect soldiers inside from incoming threats like rocket propelled grenades and one-way attack drones.

Although some Abrams and, soon, some Bradleys will have APS protection, Strykers remain without a candidate. Last year the service completed limited characterization testing with a possible candidate called StrikeShield, a hybrid hard-kill and armor solution by Rheinmetall and its US partner Unified Business Technologies, but that didn’t prove to be the right solution.

“We don’t have a suitable solution,” Dean said today.

Which brings me back to the 30x113 mm Chain Gun as a replacement for the Vietnam Era 40-50 combo as originally deployed on the Cadillac Gage Grizzly turret.

The 30mm round is large enough to accommodate the low cost radar and optical sensors being employed by the car industry. That makes the MMPA and HEP rounds possible.

To my way of thinking, given the proliferation of aerial threats replacing ball with proximity fused rounds makes sense. The 40 mm could do that but its low muzzle velocity doesn't assist accuracy or engagement ranges.

Thus:

30x113 mm is the compromise for when you think 100% of your lighter vehicles always need both .50 cal and 40 mm AGL.

I think this is especially true if you don't have access to something like the Iron Fist / Trophy APS type systems.

Taking the 40s and 50s away from the Strykers and replacing them in the existing RWS with the M230LF / XM914 makes sense to me, especially given that it is also being used in MSHORAD, MADIS and the Agnostic Gun Truck systems.

Could a platoon of three XM914 Strykers and an MSHORAD Stryker be netted so that the MSHORAD controlled the fire of the other Strykers?

WRT the Dragoon Stryker - how about turning that into an ADATS Stryker armed with either the 30x 173 round or even the 35x 228 AHEAD capable cannons like those used by Gepards, Millenium Guns and Oerlikon GDF-005s as well as the CV90s delivered to the Netherlands, Denmark and Norway.

WRT our LAVs - Upgrade the M242 25mm to the 30x 173mm Mk44 Bushmaster II? Will it fit or does it need a whole new turret?

WRT our LAVs - Upgrade the M242 25mm to the 30x 173mm Mk44 Bushmaster II? Will it fit or does it need a whole new turret?
IMHO, a new turret based on a Moog RIwP system that allows fleetwide tailored and retailorable solutions would be highly desirable. Not only would it provide a standardized turret system to solve a variety of needs, but it would also provide more internal space for additional ammunition or personnel in the vehicle. An added bonus would be that the system is vehicle agnostic and could be used on more vehicles than the LAV - Maybe finally a use for TLAVs.

With the recent ACSV purchase the long-term retention of the LAV fleet is a given. The next stage should be to upgrade the fleet to meet a wider capability than it has such as SHORAD and ATGM.

And to make @KevinB happy, to add a tracked IFV capability to the army which could also be fitted with the same RIwP systems - maybe rift off the Bradley chassis.

🍻

IMHO, a new turret based on a Moog RIwP system that allows fleetwide tailored and retailorable solutions would be highly desirable. Not only would it provide a standardized turret system to solve a variety of needs, but it would also provide more internal space for additional ammunition or personnel in the vehicle. An added bonus would be that the system is vehicle agnostic and could be used on more vehicles than the LAV - Maybe finally a use for TLAVs.

With the recent ACSV purchase the long-term retention of the LAV fleet is a given. The next stage should be to upgrade the fleet to meet a wider capability than it has such as SHORAD and ATGM.

And to make @KevinB happy, to add a tracked IFV capability to the army which could also be fitted with the same RIwP systems - maybe rift off the Bradley chassis.

🍻
London will need something to do after ACSV

London will need something to do after ACSV
Agreed. And switching the fleet to RIwP turrets would be useful and relatively inexpensive. I'd also like to start them on something tracked albeit I'm not fond of their tracked version of the LAV. OTOH Ajax/Ares seems to be maturing (the Brits seem to finally be happy with it in the field) and if you get rid of its strange turret and replace it with the RIwP ... maybe that would be the solution. Four battalions (for two armoured brigades) should do as a starter.

🍻

Agreed. And switching the fleet to RIwP turrets would be useful and relatively inexpensive. I'd also like to start them on something tracked albeit I'm not fond of their tracked version of the LAV. OTOH Ajax/Ares seems to be maturing (the Brits seem to finally be happy with it in the field) and if you get rid of its strange turret and replace it with the RIwP ... maybe that would be the solution. Four battalions (for two armoured brigades) should do as a starter.

🍻
they can switch the turrets and then get working on the LAV 800 a hybrid drive common hull powertrain that can be wheeled and tracked

they can switch the turrets and then get working on the LAV 800 a hybrid drive common hull powertrain that can be wheeled and tracked
Yeah. I haven't been able to put my finger on it because of the scarcity of information on it, but I don't think a common hull to accommodate tracked or wheeled configuration is as common as they would have you believe. There is a world of a difference in the hull configuration, suspension and the drive train/final drive even if a common engine can be used.

I know the LAV 6.0 has become a pig in weight, but the real reason behind a tracked IFV and something like the LAV6.0 is supposed to be its armoured protection to make the tracked IFV a more combat capable machine. A tracked system and IFV requirements means more weight which means bigger engine and a bunch of knock on effects.

Personally I'd prefer to see a purpose built tracked IFV like Ajax/Ares or Puma and similar systems.

🍻

Yeah. I haven't been able to put my finger on it because of the scarcity of information on it, but I don't think a common hull to accommodate tracked or wheeled configuration is as common as they would have you believe. There is a world of a difference in the hull configuration, suspension and the drive train/final drive even if a common engine can be used.

I know the LAV 6.0 has become a pig in weight, but the real reason behind a tracked IFV and something like the LAV6.0 is supposed to be its armoured protection to make the tracked IFV a more combat capable machine. A tracked system and IFV requirements means more weight which means bigger engine and a bunch of knock on effects.

Personally I'd prefer to see a purpose built tracked IFV like Ajax/Ares or Puma and similar systems.

🍻
I remain intrigued by the possibilities. It might not make sense for larger militaries with large platform numbers but for smaller ones with smaller appetites or budgets?
How much of the design constraints could be alleviated by hybrid drive? I remain surprised at the lack of uptake.
Is it armour that the LAV 6 and 700 are lacking or mobility?
In my industrial applications I cant say that my tracked machines were more heavily powered than my wheeled ones , if anything the reverse. I wonder if this is a carryover from previous lighter wheeled variants

I would love to see a breakdown of the powertrain layout for the wheeled/tracked Stryker/Boxer

In my industrial applications I cant say that my tracked machines were more heavily powered than my wheeled ones , if anything the reverse. I wonder if this is a carryover from previous lighter wheeled variants
It's that a tracked assembly weighs more than a wheeled assembly for the same sized vehicle and that the amount of armour needed for an IFV application is thicker and heavier than one for a medium application APC. That additional weight leads to the need for a heavier-duty engine.

How much of the design constraints could be alleviated by hybrid drive? I remain surprised at the lack of uptake.
I'm generally a fan of the concept of hybrid drives in civilian applications (I'm against pure EVs). But I do have reservations in a military environment. I recognize its advantages but I think these don't compensate for a heavy, complex and volatile battery brings to a vehicle that's liable to be engaged in combat and generally subject to rough handling. Watching T72s brew up and toss their turrets because someone thought it was a great idea to store powder bags and high explosives inside in an autoloader in the hull makes me wonder how much minor battle damage to a hybrid will result in a catastrophic stored energy release that turns a repairable/recoverable veh casualty into a total write-off.

We've already gone from vehicles that a driver with a tool bag could fix to ones that need a service centre with high priced electronic diagnostic systems. We need to simplify kit wherever possible.

🍻

It's that a tracked assembly weighs more than a wheeled assembly for the same sized vehicle and that the amount of armour needed for an IFV application is thicker and heavier than one for a medium application APC. That additional weight leads to the need for a heavier-duty engine.

I'm generally a fan of the concept of hybrid drives in civilian applications (I'm against pure EVs). But I do have reservations in a military environment. I recognize its advantages but I think these don't compensate for a heavy, complex and volatile battery brings to a vehicle that's liable to be engaged in combat and generally subject to rough handling. Watching T72s brew up and toss their turrets because someone thought it was a great idea to store powder bags and high explosives inside in an autoloader in the hull makes me wonder how much minor battle damage to a hybrid will result in a catastrophic stored energy release that turns a repairable/recoverable veh casualty into a total write-off.

We've already gone from vehicles that a driver with a tool bag could fix to ones that need a service centre with high priced electronic diagnostic systems. We need to simplify kit wherever possible.

🍻
I guess i wasnt thinking hybrid in that sense just electric drive.

I guess i wasnt thinking hybrid in that sense just electric drive.
Like a direct-power diesel electric or like a battery-storage petrol electric?

I've always liked the former but have doubts about anything that involves large storage batteries. I think pure EVs or ones designed for significant pure electric operation are a very good option for recce motorcycles and very light weight recce vehicles but an unnecessary complication for anything heavier.

🍻

Like a direct-power diesel electric or like a battery-storage petrol electric?

I've always liked the former but have doubts about anything that involves large storage batteries. I think pure EVs or ones designed for significant pure electric operation are a very good option for recce motorcycles and very light weight recce vehicles but an unnecessary complication for anything heavier.

🍻
The first. It is proven technology for ages and should free up lots of design considerations. One might need something for "quiet" mode batteries or an APU

best I could find so far on the boxer

To stick with GD, if we want tracked, let's Frankenstein this. Give me the M10 Booker chassis, then let's stick the LAV MSHORAD turret into it, or the LAV 6 Recce suite.

To stick with GD, if we want tracked, let's Frankenstein this. Give me the M10 Booker chassis, then let's stick the LAV MSHORAD turret into it, or the LAV 6 Recce suite.
The M10, like the AJAX, are derivatives from the GD ASCOD series. I'm not sure how many degrees of separation there are between these cousins, but it shows that GD has some expertise in the field of tracked vehicles at this class level.

Personally I think we need to stay with and foster the growth of GD as a permanent supplier of CA kit because it has the only domestic plant capable of manufacturing at the scale we need.

IMHO, we need two fleets, a heavy tracked armoured fleet, and a medium wheeled fleet (and yes, yes, I know, the LAV 6.0 is bordering on heavy). I think that our medium wheeled fleet, assuming its all, on the road again, is large enough at roughly two mech brigades. I think we need an equal number of tracked IFVs and their support vehicles to equip three armour brigades (one prepositioned in Latvia and two at home for training and sustainment). It's the building of that fleet that could keep GD here occupied for a decade easily.

🍻

The M10, like the AJAX, are derivatives from the GD ASCOD series. I'm not sure how many degrees of separation there are between these cousins, but it shows that GD has some expertise in the field of tracked vehicles at this class level.

Personally I think we need to stay with and foster the growth of GD as a permanent supplier of CA kit because it has the only domestic plant capable of manufacturing at the scale we need.

IMHO, we need two fleets, a heavy tracked armoured fleet, and a medium wheeled fleet (and yes, yes, I know, the LAV 6.0 is bordering on heavy). I think that our medium wheeled fleet, assuming its all, on the road again, is large enough at roughly two mech brigades. I think we need an equal number of tracked IFVs and their support vehicles to equip three armour brigades (one prepositioned in Latvia and two at home for training and sustainment). It's the building of that fleet that could keep GD here occupied for a decade easily.

🍻
I question whether we would ever commit to such a plan at any scale. Although we may need to support GDLS London more on our own in the future and that may drive purchase decisions. Will a new government make up with the Saudis?

The ASCOD/AJAX/BOOKER seem to be about 10 tonnes heavier than the LAV series although the Boxer is very plump. And while our LAV 6 is 450hp the 700/Piranha/Boxer are 711/600/720 and the ASCOD/AJAX/BOOKER are 720/800/1000

Or better yet, a  proven tracked system like the Bradley or CV90.
Neither of which is GD product. The aim is to get a product that will keep our one main ground systems manufacturer online for decades to come. All systems have a Day One before they are "proven."

🍻

Neither of which is GD product. The aim is to get a product that will keep our one main ground systems manufacturer online for decades to come. All systems have a Day One before they are "proven."

🍻
The M10 Booker is a GD product. If we really wanted, we could try to get that or a variant built in London.

As well, there's the return of investment in sinking R&D to design an all new IFV versus buying one that already exists, especially for a niche order that would likely.only be used by us.

The M10 Booker is a GD product. If we really wanted, we could try to get that or a variant built in London.
Not to pooh, pooh the M10, but it's one of the last things I'd buy well after a long list of other capabilities are satisfied.

:cool:

Back