• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Just a few questions from a young lad planning on joining the army

Switch from regular to reserve?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pillowkings

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, for whoever comes across this post, I just have a few questions in mind that i'm a bit curious about. Sorry for the paragraphs in advance, haha.

I was planning on joining the army when I graduate from high school (at the time of this post I'm 17 years old). I'm currently getting myself back into shape for when all the training starts and all that, but when I was reading the regular forces requirement, it said we're "expected" to stay in the army for a few years. I was just wondering what it would be like within that time frame, would I be training for a year, then be shipped off somewhere else in Canada for the next two years or however long it is, where i'm to stay there and work? Or would I have the option to come back to my hometown and stay there while still being in regular forces? I know this may be a dumb question to some people, but I'm trying to gain some knowledge about this and preferably any insight would be appreciated. I'm only asking because I was planning on joining for a year, but then continuing my schooling right after, and I'm worried this contract would affect my plans.  If not, would it be possible to switch from regular to reserves after the first year?

I honestly want to be in the army, don't get me wrong, and if everything works out well, maybe one day become a member of JTF2, ( I'm aspiring to become like my uncle, my dad told me that he was in the Vietnam war and would go on missions to rescue people  that was the only thing he told me, though, and I found that really inspiring)  but the thing is, I wouldn't mind having a life outside of the army, but knowing I have to stay in the army for the first 3 years after high school where I'm away from home, it's just messing with my head right now and giving me doubts on whether or not I really want to do this.

pillowkings said:
Hello, for whoever comes across this post, I just have a few questions in mind that i'm a bit curious about. Sorry for the paragraphs in advance, haha.

I was planning on joining the army when I graduate from high school (at the time of this post I'm 17 years old). I'm currently getting myself back into shape for when all the training starts and all that, but when I was reading the regular forces requirement, it said we're "expected" to stay in the army for a few years. I was just wondering what it would be like within that time frame, would I be training for a year, then be shipped off somewhere else in Canada for the next two years or however long it is, where i'm to stay there and work? Or would I have the option to come back to my hometown and stay there while still being in regular forces? I know this may be a dumb question to some people, but I'm trying to gain some knowledge about this and preferably any insight would be appreciated. I'm only asking because I was planning on joining for a year, but then continuing my schooling right after, and I'm worried this contract would affect my plans.  If not, would it be possible to switch from regular to reserves after the first year?

I honestly want to be in the army, don't get me wrong, and if everything works out well, maybe one day become a member of JTF2, ( I'm aspiring to become like my uncle, my dad told me that he was in the Vietnam war and would go on missions to rescue people  that was the only thing he told me, though, and I found that really inspiring)  but the thing is, I wouldn't mind having a life outside of the army, but knowing I have to stay in the army for the first 3 years after high school where I'm away from home, it's just messing with my head right now and giving me doubts on whether or not I really want to do this.

Why don't you apply to RMC to continue your studies?

pillowkings said:

I'm sort of in the same shoes as you. I graduated high school last year, and we're both about to do something big for the first time in our lives. I'm more worried about if I'd like it or not, but then again I think that's just me over-analyzing everything. But yes, when you sign up for the Regular Force, you are signing up for a couple of years and it depends on your trade. You might want to talk to a Recruiter about how long it would be for your case. What exactly are you worries you about being away for a long time? Is it not being able to see your friends and family? Are you worried about being homesick?

I was Reg Force then switched to the Reserves and will be returning the the Reg force tomorrow.

If you join the Reg force you'll sign an initial contract that can range from 3 years to 6 years (maybe longer I don't know all the VIE options) depending on what trade you choose. Trades that take more time and money to train someone have longer initial contracts. ie. 3 years for Infantry vs 6 years for Med Tech. While in the Regs you can list posting preferences but they will send you wherever you're needed in the country. Don't expect to get posted where you enrolled.

Yes you can go from the Regs to Reserve. Depending on what trade you choose you might not be qualified after your first year. You can release before the end of your contract but with that can come penalties. The Forces can recoup some of the cost of training, which means if you didn't work long enough for them to get what they paid into you they're going to make you pay back a portion of the training cost.

When I left the Regs I transferred into a Reserve unit. You have to go to the Reserve unit and find out if they have an open position for you to fill. They'll conduct an interview and if successful and they want you they'll provide a position number. You'll be released from the Reg force and report to the reserve unit. Releases are a 6 month process (not sure if thats changed since I left in 2013).

The Reg force is a serious commitment. You'll be away from home for long periods of time. If you only want to do a year in the Reg force, don't join. If you want to continue your schooling consider RMC or joining a reserve unit, which will allow you to stay in your local area.

Back