• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Junior Officer

T

timbit

As you can see I am new to this board and have a few questions in the area of junior officer‘s in the infantry.

1.How do you become one ie. enlist as a NCM then join, is that right

sorry it‘s only one questions but please help me out
Thanks in advance :warstory:

Not exactly. As a civilian you apply to become an officer not an NCM.

It‘s pretty simple. You apply to become an officer, then if they like you they send you to the Royal Military College where you spend the next four years getting a degree and having your brain replaced with one that is up to military specifications. When not at school you will be taught all the actual soldiering skills that you need for the job. Now if you finish all this the queen grants you a commission and you are an officer.

But try this page:
ROTP

Or if you have already finished university, you can use the Direct Entry Program (DEO)to start the progression (IAP/BOTP, language ****, Phase training) right off civvie street.

I joined the res as an NCM and plan to transition to officer via DEO after I finish university. I chose to do so to get experience at the level of the lowest common denominator (PTE) with the intention of using that experience to know how decisions I might make as a PL OC might effect the troops. Just a personal preference. Besides, nowadays training to be a Res officer isn‘t equivalent to the training a Reg O gets, and I do dislike duplication of time and effort.

If you make MWO/CWO, you can be commissioned as a LT/CPT. I know of one RSM who took a commision so he could remain in the mil world once he finished out his service as RSM.

ETown, try not to pass on bad gouge.

Would anyone here know if there is a program that allows NCM‘s without a university degree to eventually transfer to RMC or a civilian university to become an Officer? Has anyone here made a similar transition? I believe the Military had a program a few years ago called NCMUTP (not sure of spelling) which allowed NCM‘s to become Officers. I‘ve been looking through the DND site but couldn‘t find anything regarding the requirements for it.

Thanks

There is a program called CEOTP which let people with no university became an officer..but they have to finish university first. You can also go to university part time when you are an NCM and when finish you can apply for commission. I am on the waiting list rightnow for a NCM position. But eventually I want to finish up my degree and became an officer.

I would like to hear from any officers personal experience or NCM‘s that have had experience seeing an officer promoted. How fast can a officer be promoted (granted that he has leadership skills and the desire to) Does it happen often? Or do officers tend to stay at one rank and for how long?

The following are entry plans for Regular Force officers:

ROTP - Regular Officer Training Plan - civi joins the CF, goes to mil-col or subsidize university - eventually becomes Officer

DEO - Direct Entry Officer - civi gets university degree on his/her own, joins CF as Officer

CEOTP - Continuing Education Officer Training Plan - civi joins CF right out of high-school as Officer, must get University degree within an alotted time period upon MOC qualification

OCTP - Officer Candidate Training Plan - civis join right out of high school - no need to get University degree - this entry plan is no longer in service

CFR - Commissioned From the Ranks - NCMs (MCpl and above) commissioned as Officers - no university degree required

UTP-NCM - University Training Plan - Non Commissioned Member - RegF NCM sent to RMC as mature student - becomes Officer after degree

To answer the questions about rank progression in the Officer Corps...

Regular Force Officers:

Lt - 2 years (promotion to Captain is automatic after 2 years at rank of Lt)
Capt - 5 years to 25 years (no guarantee that you will ever be a Major - based on your PERs, courses, OPMEs completed, staff courses taken, Language Profile, MOC, etc...)

How long can one expect to stay as 2lt before going on to Luitenant? I thinking of joining as DEO and going infantry. I have two years of management under my belt and am fully bilingual.

One thing to keep in mind for reservists is that you are entitled to up to a 50% (to a max of $2000 annually) reimbursment of your tuition fees towards certain courses.. The following link has some info,

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/pep/engraph/newRES_e.asp

however, it doesn‘t go into as much detail as what you can get from your OR. I seem to remember seeing a msg saying that reimbursment applies for courses that are either trade related, or courses towards some kind of degree..

Chimo!

Back