• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining UK Armed Forces

Yep, still in. Remember reading an article in the papers a while ago, as yet, nothing has been said to me, nor has there been anything on regimental orders, and the chief clerk just looked at me funny when I asked here about it, which is why I was so disbelieving that they were effectively stopping overseas recruiting.

Shame though that they're enforcing this silly rule now. I once worked for about 2 weeks in the careers office in Chatham, Kent, whilst awaiting the start of my trade course, and over beers for a leaving do for someone, asked the WO1 in charge of the office how many foreigners he thought were in the army, and he said the official number was somewhere short of 20%. So roughly about 22,000 british soldiers are in fact johnny-foreigners.

It was funny to be a canadian working in a British Army careers office though.

Okay, thought I'd post the letter I got from MOD on January 18 2005 to help clarify this residency deal...interpret it anyway you like...

Dear Mr _____ ,

Enquiry For A Commission in the British Army

I refer to your recent enquiry about a commission in the British Army.  The requirement for all overseas candidates to have lived in the UK for a period of time prior to application, has recently been reviewed.  With immediate effect, all candidates are now required to reside in the UK for a period fo time before an application can be considered.  This will enable full Securtiy Checks to be carried out in due course.  In some cases, this may be for up to 5 years.

To allow the MOD to establish how long residency in the UK needs to be in your case, you are required to complete the forms and information as detailed below.  Once you have provided this, we will apply for a decision on how long you will be required to reside in the UK and we will inform you accordingly.  I must point out that this process may take some time to complete.  It is important that if you wish to continue with your enquiry, you action this request promptly.  If we do not hear from you within 6 weeks of the date of this letter, we will assume that you are no longer interested in a commission in the British Army.

(a) Complete and return the enclosed:

Securtiy Questionnarie MOD 1109

To take your application forward it is necessary that your background, character and integrity are established  To this end will you please provide the names and addresses of two referees, who can attest to these qualities.  Referees should be:

(a) and employer
(b) anbd academic institute
(c) a personal referee

In all cases referees should have known you well for at least the last 3 years.  A personal referee should be someone of some standing in the commuity etc etc etc.

I look forward to your prompt response.

Yours Sincerely,

L. Bradbury
For Commander Recuriting Group

Take it any way you like, I got the impression that they were telling me that it wil clearly take a long time...

All I am saying is what I said before...it could take just as long or longer then applying to the CF...

Your right about it.  It will not go quickly for you.  The security issue is what holds most applicants up.  Also the Army is slightly down sizing.

Righty-o, got in touch with a canuck who has pretty much joined apart from tipping up and getting kitted out. Stand-by for quote:

from a PM received via @ www.aarse.co.uk

If I can help any Canadians, then will always offer a hand. A little information about myself, first and foremost, this is my second trip back to that lovely little island. I was first in England last year April 18th, through to August 6th heading into the Royal Marine Commandos, I went through the process, PRMC etc. left at the end of the PRMC, to return to Canada, b.c I was under the idea that if I returned I would marry my child hood sweet heart. Ignoring the advice of Cpl.**** (who is at the PRMC in Lympstone)

I boarded the train, waited around, realized I had made a mistake leaving the Royal Marines, and applyed for the army. Now here is where some people might have also been discouraged, the reasoning of my return to Canada and the wait for 6 months. In defence minster Hoon's wisdom he decided to make it more dififculy for 'overseas applicants' That applying for the Army etc, would be like applying for any other job, so I was quit discouraged last summer. They told me things would not change till roughly January 2005. So I headed home and waited, now this is what any canadians have to do. Ingnore immigration, rules b.c they do not apply to Canadian citzens you are able to enter the country without a visa, but you do need a "police certificate' which annouces that you have no prior convictions. Contact the overseas cell 011 +441980 6188 72, ask for a application form. Now I have heard from a few contacts such as previous recruiters, and a good friend of mine who is a basic training instructor Cpl. **** **** (fellow canadian) that the application is quicker if you arrive in England insted of waiting here in Canada. Which from personal experience is true. It takes a minnimum of 8 weeks to recive a response, from Over Seas Recruiting if you are staying in Canada (mail, clearance, all play factors to the minnum 8 weeks) whereas citzens of the Commonwealth who are already staying in the UK can apply at any Army Careers Information office (Thos in London must use the Strand Office) You will be asked to show your passport and visa (not needed for canadians) At the ACIO you will be asked a few basic question, they will hand you 'overseas cell' application you return it to them filled out.
Now I would recommend, ordering the overseas cell application package to Canada, b.c there is alot that needs to be filled out. LOTS! Criminal records, eye checkups, passport information, doctors checkup, immunization records.
It takes roughly 10 - 12 weeks, process to get into the army, it took me roughly 8-10 weeks with the Royal Marines, but that is b.c I waited my overseas application processs here in *****, BC. The 2 year wait, is nonsense, take it from someone who has been there and waited. You recive all benefits that other Commonwealth citzens recive. There is alot to fill out with the overseas cell application, just do not get discouraged. The application for Officer is different and I can not comment on that aspect, but this is the process for Non Coms' it is not as hard as they say for Canadians over there, the hardest thing is the wait. So its recommended to get a pub job, stay fit and run lots. It is harder for people from Fiji, india, North Ireland etc. The only wait is the over cell secuirty check, and make sure everything is done to the '9's!' when filling out the papers. If I can help anymore, feel free to email me *******@****l.com I am leaving in roughly a weeks time so if I can help just give me a shout.

(Edited to remove any remotely personal details)

This is pretty much the same process I went through, apart from the extra 'overseas cell' paperwork.

Bound to add a bit of fire to the debate methinks!

It is always easier applying from within the UK.   But even for people from the UK, it can take a year or longer to get in.   The residency requirement is being enforced stringently.

Yeah fair one, I guess the moral of this rather long-winded story is that if you're determined enough, and not timmy taliban in disguise, you'll get in, you've just got to be prepared to put in the legwork and effort and paperchasing, never mind getting the ticket across the water and putting yourself up until you actually sign on.

Towards_the_gap said:
Yeah fair one, I guess the moral of this rather long-winded story is that if you're determined enough, and not timmy taliban in disguise, you'll get in, you've just got to be prepared to put in the legwork and effort and paperchasing, never mind getting the ticket across the water and putting yourself up until you actually sign on.

Summed up nicely.

That's pretty much it isn't it...so in the end is it worth it?  Only if you're really keen on the British Army I guess...and what if you don't get in...to me it seems like a big gamble...

For sure, all I'm saying is that all things coinsidered...the CF is worth taking a look at because with the BA you could be waiting a long time and in the end you might not even get in...especially for Officer apps right...and then you'd say to yourself "crap, I've wasted x number of years working at some smokey pub in London and I could have been in the CF by now doing something..." thats what I mean by gamble...

It might be a bit easier if you're younger...but for someone over 25...well, the clock starts ticking right...not getting any younger...

Totally agree, upping sticks and going across to the British Army is certainly a hell of a lot easier if you're 18, not tied down, and fancy something a little bit different. I suppose the good thing about the length of time the application takes is that it gives you a lot of time to consider just what it is you're doing, thereby you don't end up tied down to a job/country you hate for 4 years.

Definitely,

When I first considered doing the officer app I'll admit I had fantatic visions in my head about going to Sandhurst etc etc.  After a while though, I realized what I was really considering...even after having lived there for 2 years I still knew it would be a big adjustment...and alot of people have told me that the British Army has a very different philosophy and way of doing things...there's prob nothing worse then being in a foreign country on your own and then being in the military to boot...double whammy right...

Its a big choice to make...In a way I know I'm better having not gone over there...thankfully they made the choice for me...

I should have listened to what people were saying to me when I first started doing this...they said to think about it long and hard...and I said "yah yah" I know what I'm doing...

Well...think about it long and hard is the only advice I can give now!

My friends in the UK tell me that the British Army is not as glamourous as people like to think it is...not that I'm saying its a bad institution...but its just that a Canadian going over there will probably have to face some realy challenges as far as fitting in and adjusting to the different values and philosophies over there...

I just want to point out that no one should be discouraged by my posts with regards to joining the BA. Just becuase I did not manage to get in, does not mean you won't.  If it is something you want to do, then go for it. Just understand the risks.

The Brits seem to have a funny way of doing things, they say one thing to satisfy legal obligations, and then go do whatever after. For example,in one breath I had a Officer say to me "Anyone can get into Sandhurst so Long as they are under 29 years old, so age is not a factor here", and in the next breath he said "This is a young man's game, and you're in the vast minority on the age scale." They made it pretty clear they did not like old buggers to become Officers.

They did the same thing with me regarding my secuity clearance, they said "Oh, we may have to turf your application blah blah blah" But then they still let me go to the RCB, so the security was not really an issue for me. My age however, was.

I read the post from Towards_the_gap and I don't know what to believe anymore to be honest.

If there is a fair chance, then give it a fair shot. That is all you can really expect or ask for.

Hear Hear,

I'm not trying to discourage anyone either...sorry if I came across that way...

Pieman and Ready_Aye_Ready: You haven't been discouraging. Your experiences worried me a bit but I was planning on going ahead with the application process anyways. I'm still convinced the rules might be more easily bent for someone applying as an NCM. That letter Ready_Aye_Ready posted specifically said "Enquiry For A COMMISSION in the British Army". It all sounds more involved for officer candidates. Your application required reference letters from people who've known you for at least 3 years, the soldier entry application requires letters from people who've known you for 1 year.......just as an example. I'll pay to get myself over there even if there's a good chance of being told I have to live there for 2 years first. It'll be a vacation.

Jascar,

Sorry if I came across as discouraging.  It is all kind of confusing because there seems to be alot of conflicting statements coming from over there as to the app process...and I am sure that there is a difference between the NCM and the Officer application procedures...I was just trying to relate my story so that everyone was aware of the residency crap they have going on...

If you need any help or advice feel free to pm me as I did live over there and I have a friend from Leicester who is currently trying to get in there...

Good luck with it!

Same here, always happy to help. Let us know on this forum how ya get on once you're over here. There's actually very few canadians in the british army compared to other CW countries, loads of south africans, zimbabweans, west indians, fijians, etc.

Incidentally, I was at the bar tonight and I spoke to a lad who was in the Seaforth Highlanders here in BC for a few years...he's trying to get into the Royal Marines and he said that they have waived the 5 year residency for him...they already sent him all the application stuff and he said they also sent him a fitness package/routine.  He said he's going over in a few months himself to do the 3 day trial test.  Sounds like he's going through the same process as Che...

Just though I'd toss that out...it does seem that the RM have different rules...

:cdn:  It's always better somewhere else.  The British Army don't have the same benefits that we have.

Back