• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

John Gilbert "Jack" Layton, PC, MP (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

We offer our deepest condolences to the people of Canada on the passing of Canada's official Opposition party leader, Jack Layton.

Canada has lost a dedicated political activist committed to promoting a platform of social justice through compromise, tolerance, and hope. A humble public servant, Mr. Layton was a man of principle, an optimist, and a pragmatist. He helped build the New Democratic Party into a vital force in Canadian politics.

He believed in standing up for those who could not stand up for themselves, and he was a proud Canadian who always practiced civility in politics. Just before his death, he left us with the following words: “Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.”

Jack Layton embodied the values that we should all strive to uphold. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Ms. Olivia Chow, and his family.
Press Statement, Victoria Nuland, Department Spokesperson, Office of the Spokesperson, 24 Aug 11

Wow...my eyes are leaking.
Tried to insert a pic I took on Parliament Hill earlier today of the crowds but once again, I have been foiled! (...stupid stoker me!)

"IAFF Mourns the Death of Jack Layton:

“Canada has lost a great leader and fire fighters and all Canadian workers have lost a great champion,” says IAFF General President Harold Schaitberger.":
http://www.iaff.org/11News/082211Layton.htm

wrong button again! Sorry.

mariomike said:
"IAFF Mourns the Death of Jack Layton:

“Canada has lost a great leader and fire fighters and all Canadian workers have lost a great champion,” says IAFF General President Harold Schaitberger.":
http://www.iaff.org/11News/082211Layton.htm

I'm a Canadian worker and I don't agree. I wish these people would stop presuming to speak for me.

Since this is a "Thoughts and Prayers" section, I hope it's okay if I share Bible passage:

1 Corinthians 13:1-13 (Revised Standard Version)

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; 5 it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; 10 but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. 13 So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

It's just something I recalled when I was reflecting on the event of Jack's loss and the responses to Jack's loss.

Jack Layton doing the weather (with cane in tow)  :) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWTnbvv8-F0

Movember:  Raising Awareness for Prostate Cancer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnS66vkeM1w&feature=autoplay&list=PL701E2297F472F061&playnext=2

I know this is an old thread and this response it a bit dated but I wrote the following letter a few weeks ago and thought it would be appropriate to share it here.

Miss you, Jack.

I'm always proud of my fellow service members, and I always feel proud when I put on the uniform and I see that Canadian Flag.

*---------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't watch any of the presidential or vice presidential debates. I didn't have the heart or stomach for it. As far as I can surmise this election campaign has lasted almost 2 years and it’s starting to get exhausting, even as a Canadian looking from across the border. I’m pretty sure if you watch enough interviews of either candidate you can list the talking points each one has committed to memory and the issues each one will run away from like it were a nuclear reactor rod.  So I didn't really see what I was missing by not watching them spar with one another.

This whole election has been laced with so much double talk, cheap jabs, passing the ball, and carnival side shows it’s starting to become an episode from the bizarre. The behaviour of so many of the talking heads in the media, both Democratic and Republican supporters, have made me start to understand the meaning of the “Ugly American”. A stereotype that I never saw rear its head with such ferocity until now, and something I certainly don't see with my American friends and family. This vapid non-sense has taken over so much of the national dialog that I can't help but think it has cast a shadow so broadly and loudly, I feel it has overshadowed more normal dialog.

Although, I suppose this election has made me have a better appreciation on being Canadian. A bit over a year ago a Canadian politician named Jack Layton died. Jack Layton was the leader of, arguably, the most left leaning party in Canada. While surfing the net I came across a thread on a Canadian Army forum where many service members offered their condolences and words of respect for the man. 

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/101867.0/topicseen.html

Even though many, if not all, of these people did not agree with his politics the overwhelming sense was, his presence made Canadian politics a better place, and that it is poorer without him. Being part of the Army means you may have to “close with and destroy (kill) the enemy”. Some of these people have callouses that are older than the recruits they train, and can crush your head with their weak hand. But despite all that grit they could still come out and show respect and dignity where it was due.

Right now, I don’t know if the same would happen down south for a leader of either party.

Reflecting on this and the past few US elections have certainly made me happy and proud to be Canadian.

Back