• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

John Gilbert "Jack" Layton, PC, MP (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
NDP Leader Jack Layton is scheduled to make what is being billed as a major announcement at 2 p.m. ET Monday in downtown Toronto, the party says.

News of the announcement immediately triggered speculation in Ottawa over whether it has anything to do with the NDP leader's health.

Layton was diagnosed with prostate cancer in late 2009 and went public with it in February 2010.

He also underwent hip surgery ahead of the last federal election campaign, which saw the New Democrats capture a record number of seats and become the Official Opposition for the first time in the party's history.
Source:  CBC.ca, 25 Jul 11

Is the ramp lowering?  We'll have to wait & see....

A little bit more....
Looking gaunt and sounding hoarse, Jack Layton has told a Toronto news conference that while his fight with prostate cancer is going well, he is now dealing with a new cancer and will be taking a temporary leave from politics. He says he intends to return when Parliament resumes in the fall. In his place, he is recommending that Nycole Turmel serve as temporary leader of the NDP caucus.
Source:  Macleans, 25 Jul 11 - more here (Google News "Jack Layton")
Good luck to him & his family.

E.R. Campbell said:
He has a new cancer and is taking a leave of absence. Best of luck to him and his family.

While I can find no common ground with him on the political front, I've never wished him ill. Today is no different. Best wishes to the man.

ModlrMike said:
While I can find no common ground with him on the political front, I've never wished him ill. Today is no different. Best wishes to the man.

I agree completely with the above comments.

And this may save the Liberal Party.

Full statement:
On February 5th, 2010 I shared with Canadians that I, like 25,000 other Canadian men every year, had been diagnosed with prostate cancer.

I have received overwhelming support from my loving family, my friends, my caucus and party, and thousands of everyday Canadians.

Their stories and support have touched me. And I have drawn strength and inspiration from them.

In the closing days of the most recent session of the House of Commons, I suffered from some stiffness and pain.

After the House rose, I undertook a series of tests at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto.

My battle against prostate cancer is going very well. My PSA levels remain virtually undetectable.

However, these tests, whose results I received last week, also indicate that I have a new, non-prostate cancer that will require further treatment.

So, on the advice of my doctors, I am going to focus on treatment and recovery.

I will therefore be taking a temporary leave of absence as Leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada. I'm going to fight this cancer now, so I can be back to fight for families when Parliament resumes.

To that end, I have requested that the President of our party, Brian Topp, consult our Parliamentary caucus and then convene a meeting of our party's federal council to appoint an interim leader.

The interim leader will serve until I resume my duties.

I intend to do so when Parliament meets on September 19th.

I am also making a recommendation on who the interim leader should be.

I suggest that Hull-Aylmer MP Nycole Turmel be named interim leader during this period.

Ms. Turmel enjoys unanimous support as the national chair of our Parliamentary caucus. She is an experienced national leader in both official languages. And she will do an excellent job as our national interim leader.

Let me conclude by saying this.

If I have tried to bring anything to federal politics, it is the idea that hope and optimism should be at their heart.

We CAN look after each other better than we do today. We CAN have a fiscally responsible government. We CAN have a strong economy; greater equality; a clean environment.

We CAN be a force for peace in the world.

I am as hopeful and optimistic about all of this as I was the day I began my political work, many years ago.

I am hopeful and optimistic about the personal battle that lies before me in the weeks to come.

And I am very hopeful and optimistic that our party will continue to move forward.

We WILL replace the Conservative government, a few short years from now.

And we WILL work with Canadians to build the country of our hopes
Of our dreams
Of our optimism
Of our determination
Of our values...
Of our love.

Thank you.
Source:  NDP.ca, 25 Jul 11

ModlrMike said:

That about says it for me also. While I don't like him, there has been no doubt about him being a worthy adversary to his opponents.

Old Sweat said:
I agree completely with the above comments.

And this may save the Liberal Party.

Nycole Turmel vs Bob Rae.  Lesser of two evils.  Discuss.

The National Post has a write-up that Jack Layton is temporarily stepping down as leader of the NDP to fight his ongoing battle with prostate cancer. Reproduced under the relevant section of the Copyright Act:

Layton taking leave of absence, citing new cancer

National Post Staff  Jul 25, 2011 – 1:53 PM ET | Last Updated: Jul 25, 2011 3:09 PM ET

By Kathryn Blaze Carlson and Tamsin McMahon

Jack Layton announced he is temporarily stepping down as leader of the federal NDP, saying doctors had diagnosed him with a new type of cancer.

Mr. Layton said he underwent tests at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto after feeling stiffness and pain during the last session of the House of Commons. While doctors told him his prostate cancer was “virtually undetectable,” they had discovered a new, non-prostate cancer.

“I’m going to fight this cancer now, so I can be back to fight for families when Parliament resumes,” on Sept. 19, he said at a press conference in Toronto Monday afternoon, and quickly sending out the same message on Twitter.

Mr. Layton, who turned 61 last week, leaned heavily on his cane as he limped to the podium at a downtown Toronto hotel looking gaunt, despite wearing heavy makeup, and sounding hoarse.

He was flanked by his wife, Toronto NDP MP Olivia Chow, and party president Brian Topp.

Mr. Layton was vague about his new illness, but a senior NDP source told the National Post that doctors still required more tests to determine the new type of cancer he is battling. The Twittersphere was abuzz with speculation that Mr. Layton was suffering from bone cancer after breaking his hip earlier this year.

Mr. Layton was admitted to Princess Margaret Hospital for “some period of time” Mr. Topp said.

The party will convene to choose an interim leader, although Mr. Layton said he was recommending Hull-Aylmer MP Nycole Turmel, the party’s caucus chairwoman, over Thomas Mulcair, deputy leader and the party’s most senior member in Quebec.

“Ms. Turmel enjoys unanimous support as the national chair of our Parliamentary caucus,” he said. “She is an experienced national leader in both official languages. And she will do an excellent job as our national interim leader.”

Despite his latest health problems, Mr. Layton said he intended to return as party leader. “I am hopeful and optimistic about the personal battle that lies before me in the weeks to come,” he said.

Mr. Layton has been dogged by health problems in recent years.

In March, he underwent surgery for a hip fracture. His health problems didn’t keep him from the spring campaign trail, where he appeared at election events with a cane.

In February 2010, he publicly revealed that he was being treated for prostate cancer, the same illness that struck his father, former Conservative MP Robert Layton.

“I’m a fighter and I’m going to beat this,” he said at the time. My treatment plan is now under way and everything is under way. I’m feeling good.”

In 2006, he admitted to having surgery at the private Shouldice Hosptial for a hernia in the 1990s. He has also suffered from appendicitis.

A former Toronto city councillor, Mr. Layton was named party leader in 2003 and elected MP for Toronto-Danforth in 2004.

National Post
kcarlson@nationalpost.com
tmcmahon@nationalpost.com

Link

I wish Jack and his family all the best in his upcoming battle, but from looking at his photo I don't think the prognosis is very good.

I disagree with the man's politics and his party, but regardless of that, he's been a man who's worked hard to serve his constituents at various levels of public office, a job that's thankless at the best of times - I wish him well in his fight, it looks like he's got a hard go ahead.

I was deeply saddened today to hear that Jack Layton is temporarily leaving his post as leader of Her Majesty's Official Opposition and leader of the New Democratic Party.

Mr. Layton is passionate about his convictions and the future of our great country. I would like to wish Jack a successful recovery so he can quickly return to his post.

I salute the courage Mr. Layton continues to show in his fight against cancer, a fight that more and more Canadians are winning. We are all heartened by Jack's strength and tireless determination, which with Mr. Layton will never be in short supply.

On behalf of Laureen and myself, and on behalf of our entire Conservative caucus, I would like to offer our heartfelt support to Jack, Olivia and their family. Our thoughts and prayers are with them during this difficult time.
Source:  PM statement, 25 Jul 11

Redeye said:
I disagree with the man's politics and his party, but regardless of that, he's been a man who's worked hard to serve his constituents at various levels of public office, a job that's thankless at the best of times - I wish him well in his fight, it looks like he's got a hard go ahead.

I concur. We may differ politically, but give credit where credit is due - he is a leader.

I'm certainly not on side with him politically on most issues, but he's shown an unusual degree of good faith with his cosntituents, and has been a fine parliamentarian who has done right by his party and his supporters. I wish him only the best.

He is a shadow of his former self

Him today:

jacklayton.jpg

Compare to April of this year:

layton-cane.jpeg

The Jack Layton we all know:

jack-layton.jpg

I fear that unless the 'new cancer' isn't quickly beaten, he won't be long of this Earth :(  My heart sank when I saw the photo of him today.

My professional opinion, solely from the pictures... not good. I wish him well.

I hope he get's better and returns to politics as soon as possible! I may differ in beliefs but I can't see the NDP without him..

As said by many I don't agree with his politics but as a leader I like him....too bad he is of the wrong party
I wish him well

If you don't want to confirm your suspicions, ModlrMike, don't watch the video of his announcement.  He sounds weak, frail and much worse than how my sister sounded a mere four months before she passed from cancer.  Sad to say, but he sounds more like how my sister sounded days before she passed.

:(

I met him, and Mrs Chow, a couple of times when they were on Metro Council. I can see why they called him "Happy Jack". He certainly seemed to be in high spirits. That was a long time ago.
Not quite a "Pride of the Yankees" moment today, but that's what it reminded me of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKyfGK9brs&feature=related

"I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Sad to see him in such a state. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his wife.

Cancer is a cruel illness that sucks the vigor out of the most vibrant of people. I may vehemently oppose some of his politics, but I always admire his passion.

Cheers to a speedy recovery.

Back