• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Jagmeet Singh, probably the biggest political loser?

It's exactly this type of thing that makes those of us that desperately want to see the Liberals kicked to the curb feel like we have to hold our noses when we vote for the CPC under Mr. Poilievre. There are more than enough policy issues to hang the Liberals and NDP on without having to resort to schoolyard name calling.
I, too, desperately want to see Trudeau unemployed and the Liberals reduced to political obscurity until they learn to listen to the electorate.

But, Poilivere pulling stunts like this makes it very, very hard for me to vote CPC, despite that my local CPC MP is a smart and totally likeable guy who works really hard for our riding. I was just starting to like Poilivere and then this. :rolleyes:

I shudder to think of what will come out of his face once the real campaign starts.

What bugs me the most is that he signs the letter as The honourable ... PC MP, then his title as Leader of the opposition, but does not afford the same respectful way when addressing a fellow honourable member of Parliament. Whatever he may think of JS, he should afford him the same respect he seems to think is his own due.

The name calling, well that's just infantilism that we are importing from the US current political tableau, and I am sure it will be considered as such.

P.S. Since there is no evidence that shows that JS would be defeated in his own riding in the next election, the whole pension thing is a red herring.

Ya I get that. For me it seems like way the lesser of two evils to vote for PP and the CPC right.

But we all have our POVs on this.
In a perfect world Pierre would only speak perfect statements. But this isn't a perfect world and most of us would have a hard time resisting putting forth the 'PERFECT' putdown. How many nicknames have we come up with for fellow workers: Ricky wreck-em after an accident, the lieberals, Fats, etc. A person who can control his tongue is extremely rare. Accept that he is probably the best choice and makes the most sense, regardless of his warts.

I think Pierre P was spot on the money and his criticism is reflecting the reality of many Canadians.

When Trudeau and party have come up with the worst derogatory slams against the conservatives and Canadians that don't share his views and some of you are concerned with "Sell out" , "Justinflation" or "Not worth the cost"... Please, grow a pair.

Scheer and O'Toole tried to play "nice" opposition. and it didn't help them.

Piss around and nit pick with the BS some more please while people lose their homes, criminals get bail at the snap of a finger and cause more havoc, Palestinian protestors openly threaten Jewish Canadians, lots more going on and then you have Liberals who never answer a question, use even more slogans than the conservatives and outright lie to committees of parliament.

Keep dithering with your "I want Trudeau gone but can't support Pierre..." Please. The mans an excellent human being in my view and one of the most straight forward politicians. But keep dithering.

Yeah, I go after the same commentary, because I think a bunch of you are being ridicolous.

Bring it back to Singh. My old union local (used to be USW) that I left in 2014, the members remaining have told me that even though the leadership praises the NDP, the members are like 99% behind the conservatives. Even worse, one of the local reps publicly praises the NDP and behind closed doors with beers curses them non-stop and is now very pro Conservative.
In my views, the opinions that really matter are the ones at the voting ballot but pay attention to what sell out Singh has done. Ohhh, I shouldn't use such hurtful words.

The NDP are in a hard spot with no legitimate path to government in front of them. Why would they pull the plug on a Liberal government in which they have more in common to be replaced by a Conservative government in which they would be opposed? It makes no sense to do so. If the NDP do pull the plug on the government are we going to vote for them in return? If not why would you expect them to do something where there are not being rewarded?

The NDP are in a hard spot with no legitimate path to government in front of them. Why would they pull the plug on a Liberal government in which they have more in common to be replaced by a Conservative government in which they would be opposed? It makes no sense to do so. If the NDP do pull the plug on the government are we going to vote for them in return? If not why would you expect them to do something where there are not being rewarded?
Exactly. As has been said more than a few times already in this thread, NDP’s best realistic strategic position is kingmaker. Being the official opposition to a majority conservative government would be essentially meaningless. It’s all about the ability to impact policy and legislation, which they presently have. Some still struggle to wrap their heads around that fact and to accept what it means in real terms.

The CPC desperately want an election, and they’ll get one- in the fall of 2025. That’s just how she goes. They’ll then likely walk out of that with a majority and it’ll be the other side’s turn to be all pissy while legislation is passed.

Bring it back to Singh. My old union local (used to be USW) that I left in 2014, the members remaining have told me that even though the leadership praises the NDP, the members are like 99% behind the conservatives. Even worse, one of the local reps publicly praises the NDP and behind closed doors with beers curses them non-stop and is now very pro Conservative.
In my views, the opinions that really matter are the ones at the voting ballot but pay attention to what sell out Singh has done. Ohhh, I shouldn't use such hurtful words.
Unions are bound by ideology - the NDP is looking after the "little people". In fact, many unions are actually making things worse - high wages demanded and their members being priced out of the market.

ArmyRick,

First of all, I don't like the personal insults regardless of the party from which they come. As far as I am concerned, policies and ideas are fair game, a person's character is not unless it has been specifically established by verifiable facts (yes, DJT is a felon - a jury of peers established that.). So, in that regard, Justinflation or Not worth the cost are OK, but Sell-out isn't.

I have no problem with the content of PP's letter. If he had (1) addressed Singh properly as an MP, and (2) simply concluded as follows in his last paragraph:

"M. Signh, I know you are eager to avoid an election, but it's time for you to put the people of Canada's interests first. Pull out of the costly coalition and vote non-confidence in the government this September to trigger a carbon tax election in October of THIS YEAR."

and left it at that, it would have been perfect.

But he couldn't resist (and its a letter, not a spur of the moment comment, so no excuse for not getting it right), and now, it's the tone of the letter that makes the news, not his request to either Singh or Blanchet (where he was similarly obtuse).

I don’t take PP’s variations in interaction and branding as full-on Ameri-replication, but some elements of recce and probing various modes of confronting the Government and Enablers.

He has a reasonable amount of time time to experiment with the various elements and modality of the buildup to a Writ drop. He has a relatively consistent +15% on the LPC, and as has been mentioned before, he really doesn’t need to get hard core serious and detailed until at least after November and seeing how things go in the US.

The irony is that people are picking his letter apart for salutation appropriateness while the standing government and enablers continue to deepen Canada’s pit of unaffordability and despair…the scale of imposed accountability is by no means balanced between incumbent and (potential) future governments.

Keep dithering with your "I want Trudeau gone but can't support Pierre..." Please. The mans an excellent human being in my view and one of the most straight forward politicians. But keep dithering.
In my actual experience the man is an insincere weasel. He was my MP in Ottawa and you couldn't get a straight answer out of him at town halls, just attack lines, no action for constituents. He showed up at the WO & Sgts Mess one Nov 11, hovered away from everyone, a staffer brought folks to say hello if they wanted to, and he was out of there in less than 20 minutes.

The NDP was on a path of being an effective opposition when led by Tom Mulcair. He was however betrayed by factions within, because it meant being more Centralist. I can bet that if Mulcair was in charge right now he would have extracted a lot more from the Liberals and ensured that the NDP was not being dragged down with them. I actually gained a fair bit of respect for the guy with his Leadership, even if the party is fatality flawed.

In my actual experience the man is an insincere weasel. He was my MP in Ottawa and you couldn't get a straight answer out of him at town halls, just attack lines, no action for constituents. He showed up at the WO & Sgts Mess one Nov 11, hovered away from everyone, a staffer brought folks to say hello if they wanted to, and he was out of there in less than 20 minutes.
Every political leader is going to eventually going to disappoint you. It is the nature of the beast and the type of people who succeed in that position.

Did you approach him and try to start a conversation? I know several people who had no problem speaking to him at his rallies.

Back