• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Issue Small Pack - Any reviews?

mmmm new ruck *drool*

Unfortunately its not even contracted yet according to the Tease the Soldier site, and being a reservist I'm looking at getting it in about 10 years :D

Your in the same boat as me in regards to all the new shiney kit.I'm here in Wx at a second line unit so we'll be the last to see any of it.I still don't have the tac vest or any of the other fancy stuff discussed here. :'(
Small pack system would be nice for those short trips to the field though(2-4)days or for longer ops if you had the ability to acess your follow-up kit.With what I do,we're always mounted,so this would'nt be a problem.
Does anyone know if you can mount a external valise type bag to it?If this is the case,than it would be exellent for short,summer ex's when all you really need is your polar fleece liner.bivy bag and ranger blanket,rather than the traditional full sleeping bag.

It's not contracted yet!!!!????? Come on! And i thought we were getting it soon. NO worries I guess. One way of looking at it. If they keep issuing me new kit every few years, I'll probably stay in for a good 20 for the kit alone :warstory:

I had one of these packs in Bosnia.....I wasn't too impressed. The fastex style buckles were brittle, were broken in no time, and it wasn't very comfortable to wear even on a short hop. I can't imagine carrying one on a patrol. I think it's ok as a nuke bag or a gymbag or maybe a portable office, but as for use in the field? I'm not so sure. I eagerly await the issue of the new packs. Although being on the left coast and considering many of my troops are still in the old style combats and webbing, I won't hold my breath.

My 2 cents.

TM

Are you talking about the new small pack or that POS Avenger pack roto 13 and roto 14 had?

Sorry, I should have clarified. The pack that roto 13/14 had. It was garbage. They had us hand them back on out clearance from VK and I was happy to be rid of it. I am eagerly awaiting the new issued small pack.

HollywoodHitman said:
Sorry, I should have clarified. The pack that roto 13/14 had. It was garbage. They had us hand them back on out clearance from VK and I was happy to be rid of it. I am eagerly awaiting the new issued small pack.

I just got issued one. Now, we do actually need to hear from the real soldiers, but as a briefcase commando who has spent a bit of time in the mud (albeit a few years back-I can recall overhead fire by catapults....), it looks and acts like a good piece of kit to me. It has a good amount of space inside, several blister pouches that you can add on in different spots,(including one that I have experimented with as a buttpack on the TV)  lots of straps for securing/adding additional items, an inside water resistant pouch, nicely padded shoulder straps and a chest strap and waistbelt. What do other users think? Cheers.

PBI,

Sounds like the pack you have is modular. The one I was issued in Bosnia I believe was the 'interim' pack to be given to the troops until the new small pack was released. I can't speak for the new issued pack, but I can certainly say that IMO the interim pack was / is garbage for anything resembling field use.

TM

Yeah I have the Avenger pack and this is crap ! This is not made for Military use.

soldiers301 said:
Yeah I have the Avenger pack and this is crap ! This is not made for Military use.

Yes-by all accounts it was crap, but I really think that this latest one is a keeper. Waiting to hear from other users who have carried loads for any distance under op conditions. Cheers.

Does anyone happen to know what the timeline to issue all the Small Packs is?  According to the manufacturer, the production run is supposed to wrap up in December, but how long before the PRes gets it?  I just sucked it up and bought a nuke bag in the interim, since I figure it's going to be a while (like always)...

Back