• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is Your Workplace Tough — or Is It Toxic?

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is Your Workplace Tough — or Is It Toxic?

Amid longer hours, an uncertain economy and our ever-shaky grip on a healthy work-life balance, plenty of people agree that the work environment has only gotten more challenging in the past few years.

But in some workplaces, times aren’t just hard; they’re toxic.

Think of the type of workplace in which employees feel personally threatened in one way or another. While relatively rare in most sectors, toxic workplaces appear to be on the rise, experts say. The distinction between extremely difficult and downright toxic work environments can be fuzzy, but in general, the toxic workplace is one in which the dynamics resemble an abusive personal relationship.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/is-your-workplace-tough-or-is-it-toxic/

"...those who merely annoy with habits like pencil-tapping..."

When you're cooped up with the same partner 40 hours a week it's the little things that get to you.

"He keeps opening and closing the glove compartment a thousand times a day! Click, click, CLICK!"

"He's a foot tapper! Tap, tap, TAP!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A7OKurRoII

Civilian Experience

Fresh engineering grad. Got a consulting gig right out of uni. Since accepting that offer, work place has been very hostile. First day I was given a box containing basic office supplies, and was told to hold on to that box as one day I might have to use that box (i.e. upon departure). Working on a design job, design mentor gave me shit all day every day. Yelled at me so loud that all people in that corner of the office knows what an idiot I was. Managers and big wigs knew about the situation but nothing was really done about it. Finally spoke up and action plan was for my supervisor to talk to the person, and check-in every month or so to see if the situation has improved. It has not. My productivity drastically dropped every time I get yelled at. Silently cried in my cubicle. Co-workers check in with me every once in a while how I am doing and how do I put up with the harassment. My response was to maintain my professionalism and that each time I interact with the "mentor" was a learning opportunity. Said "mentor" has been in the company ~30 years and I guess soon to retire. So obviously knowledge transfer was a high priority for the managers and big wigs. This "mentor" really thought he was so funny, one day, decided to show us his a$$. Til the very end maintained my professionalism. I felt that with all the yelling my career was being set back. Tried asking for a raise (I knew I was in the lower quartile compared to my peers as there is a salary survey in my profession) as the company claims it pays in the upper decile. In the end I was laid off without cause. Was given a month's salary. Oh, and didn't keep the cardboard box. Instead, I brought in my own bin.

Fresh out of school, realized that the university provides such a false sense of shelter, protection. There are tons of policies in place designed to protect you. Since then I learned that the world is much harsher. I try to be kind and appreciate the things that I have now.

I knew that many new 'iron rings' get treated poorly, as far as compensation, but that's quite something.  Assuming this is an ISO-certified engineering firm?  Couldn't be a 6-Sigma org, or if it is, has really worked the system.  Did the company have a 'whistle-blower' policy?  Most public firms do, these days.

Sorry to hear about what sounds like a horrible entrance into your profession that would have taken a lot of work and dedication to get into.

Most provinces' Professional Engineering Associations have avenues to register official complaints against such conduct.  Did you look into that at the time?  You yourself would not have to be a P.E. to enquire.

Regards
G2G

Just like the referenced article, I have unfortunately got close to being confused as to who was the victim and who was the perpetrator. As a recent graduate, I definitely experienced that difficulty of securing a job. Unlike the baby boomers who had to choose 1 out of 25 job offers, at least an account from one of the guest speakers in class, I had to go through 25+ job interviews and secure 1 job offer. Most of my peers weren't able to get jobs right after graduation. I was so full of aspiration and determination. And now I know better.

With job insecurity, being so green in the field, and the desperation to learn as much as I can on the job, I endured the verbal and emotional harassment at that place. I definitely felt ashamed of myself.

The firm was ISO-certified (but was not anymore when I first got there). It is privately owned. Not that I was dirty, but I feel like, until today, bringing this experience to the attention of regulators/administrators/someone would be opening a can of worms. I don't think it will serve any purpose. Turn-over rate at that place was definitely high. During my less than 2 years I saw >25 people come and go. This is a company with a national presence. If an organization is stumbling/struggling, I believe that it will eventually manifest itself.

Navy_Wannabe said:
Just like the referenced article, I have unfortunately got close to being confused as to who was the victim and who was the perpetrator. As a recent graduate, I definitely experienced that difficulty of securing a job. Unlike the baby boomers who had to choose 1 out of 25 job offers, at least an account from one of the guest speakers in class, I had to go through 25+ job interviews and secure 1 job offer. Most of my peers weren't able to get jobs right after graduation. I was so full of aspiration and determination. And now I know better.

With job insecurity, being so green in the field, and the desperation to learn as much as I can on the job, I endured the verbal and emotional harassment at that place. I definitely felt ashamed of myself.

The firm was ISO-certified (but was not anymore when I first got there). It is privately owned. Not that I was dirty, but I feel like, until today, bringing this experience to the attention of regulators/administrators/someone would be opening a can of worms. I don't think it will serve any purpose. Turn-over rate at that place was definitely high. During my less than 2 years I saw >25 people come and go. This is a company with a national presence. If an organization is stumbling/struggling, I believe that it will eventually manifest itself.

The bullies win if you don't write down your experiences, like a statement of a witness to a crime, and share them upwards and outwards.

Most big organizations have well defined processes for dealing with bullies. You should do some research and find out what the firm's processes are. Here is an example of what's available through industry sources: https://www.worksafebc.com/en/health-safety/hazards-exposures/bullying-harassment

If nothing else, it will show that you have the chutzpah to tackle the tough issues head on.... which is an admirable trait for any engineer IMHO.

Navy_Wannabe said:
As a recent graduate, I definitely experienced that difficulty of securing a job. Unlike the baby boomers who had to choose 1 out of 25 job offers, at least an account from one of the guest speakers in class, I had to go through 25+ job interviews and secure 1 job offer. Most of my peers weren't able to get jobs right after graduation.

With my employer, students received "informal offers of employment" before graduation, securing them a promise of employment by the time they graduated.

As the 'Baby Boom' generation ages, those 'boomers' are mostly retired and becoming health-care consumers themselves, rather than providers.

A challenge is that subsequent generations are typically smaller, and demand for service is increasing.

Good luck.

Took a job in one station at the CCG, my predecessor had punched out the OIC and shoved him head first into a garbage can on the way out the door. The OIC had not learned his lesson, he had been grieved by all his senior officers, but the CCG swept everything under the rug. When he started bad mouthing a 2nd officer to me, I suggested that it was not appropriate to discuss his concerns with a seaman and he should take up his concerns with the officers captain. That put me on the "enemy list" and he harassed me for a number of years. Got to the point where I was about to pound him, the duty captain grabbed him and shoved out the door telling him to go home. Everyone else there was excellent and I knew the officers and captains had my back, but that CCG would do nothing about the issue. Eventually left into my current job. The great thing about having a sh*tty job is you will know when you have a great one. 

Colin P said:
Took a job in one station at the CCG, my predecessor had punched out the OIC and shoved him head first into a garbage can on the way out the door. The OIC had not learned his lesson, he had been grieved by all his senior officers, but the CCG swept everything under the rug. When he started bad mouthing a 2nd officer to me, I suggested that it was not appropriate to discuss his concerns with a seaman and he should take up his concerns with the officers captain. That put me on the "enemy list" and he harassed me for a number of years. Got to the point where I was about to pound him, the duty captain grabbed him and shoved out the door telling him to go home. Everyone else there was excellent and I knew the officers and captains had my back, but that CCG would do nothing about the issue. Eventually left into my current job. The great thing about having a sh*tty job is you will know when you have a great one.

Reminds me of a movie I saw.
The Captain said, "You cannot have an efficient ship unless you have a happy ship, and you cannot have a happy ship unless you have an efficient ship."  :)

Thankfully, where I was stationed, the supervisor's office was miles away. Most contact was via telephone.

Your partner was a different story. You were stuck with the same individual 40-hours a week. For years.

So, we got along, and had a lot of fun.  :)

My son recently left a skilled job in what was once a happy and productive plant in Eastern Ontario. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, the Head Office in Toronto brought in a US consultant to "improve" the operation. Within weeks the levels of tension, fear and uncertainty in the plant soared as productivity and timely delivery fell. The consultant (who became the de facto plant manager) ruled by screaming, threatening and "leadership by e-mail". People began to get physically sick about coming to work, and feared losing their jobs. Within a year my son, who was actually a favourite of the consultant, could no longer stand the poisonous atmosphere and the sight of his fellow workers getting sacked for little or no reason. He quit, giving up good wages and benefits, because the job was making him sick.

The plant is currently in a death spiral and has laid off or fired about 75% of its workforce. It won't last much longer.

This is what a toxic workplace can do to people, especially when senior management has no idea what is happening.

daftandbarmy said:
The bullies win if you don't write down your experiences, like a statement of a witness to a crime, and share them upwards and outwards.

Most big organizations have well defined processes for dealing with bullies. You should do some research and find out what the firm's processes are. Here is an example of what's available through industry sources: https://www.worksafebc.com/en/health-safety/hazards-exposures/bullying-harassment

If nothing else, it will show that you have the chutzpah to tackle the tough issues head on.... which is an admirable trait for any engineer IMHO.

My old law firm represented most of the businesses in SW Manitoba. As the firm's main civil litigator I was always called in when a company had finally had enough from one of it's problem employees and wanted to fire them.

The biggest problem we ran into was that most small and mid-sized civilian firms have very weak personnel record keeping standards and are mostly inept at progressive counselling and discipline. Usually we were faced with a situation where the company had carried the trouble maker for years until finally there was a straw that broke the camel's back. Unfortunately at that point the employee's file was either very thin or non existent. That means you either start the discipline process (usually not an option that they wanted because they had already crossed the Rubicon) or fire the individual with cause and hope for the best in any future unjust dismissal lawsuit.

I'm not sure why businesses generally do not deal well with toxic workplace issues. My guess is because management is too busy taking care of the operational side of the business that they can't or won't dedicate time to the finer points of employee interpersonal relationships or because they are conflict averse and simply let things slide in the unreasonable hope that with time the problem will fix itself.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
My guess is because management is too busy taking care of the operational side of the business that they can't or won't dedicate time to the finer points of employee interpersonal relationships or because they are conflict averse and simply let things slide in the unreasonable hope that with time the problem will fix itself.

Depends on the employer, I suppose.

It was almost impossible to get kicked out. Unless you became a public disgrace, they would tolerate almost anything.

Only thing they might do is transfer you to Scarborough.

pbi said:
My son recently left a skilled job in what was once a happy and productive plant in Eastern Ontario. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, the Head Office in Toronto brought in a US consultant to "improve" the operation. Within weeks the levels of tension, fear and uncertainty in the plant soared as productivity and timely delivery fell. The consultant (who became the de facto plant manager) ruled by screaming, threatening and "leadership by e-mail". People began to get physically sick about coming to work, and feared losing their jobs. Within a year my son, who was actually a favourite of the consultant, could no longer stand the poisonous atmosphere and the sight of his fellow workers getting sacked for little or no reason. He quit, giving up good wages and benefits, because the job was making him sick.

The plant is currently in a death spiral and has laid off or fired about 75% of its workforce. It won't last much longer.

This is what a toxic workplace can do to people, especially when senior management has no idea what is happening.

Darwin works in mysterious ways....

daftandbarmy said:
Darwin works in mysterious ways....

Yes, perhaps. But look at the unnecessary human cost (and I don't just mean my son: he has gone on to other things). I remain completely gobsmacked that Head Office apparently did not even realize what their Frankenstein consultant was doing to the plant's output, or the havoc being caused in the workplace. The massive drop in product quality and timely delivery must have been visible to them. It seems that the only thing they ever did was to send an HR person to visit the site, with no meaningful results.

pbi said:
Yes, perhaps. But look at the unnecessary human cost (and I don't just mean my son: he has gone on to other things). I remain completely gobsmacked that Head Office apparently did not even realize what their Frankenstein consultant was doing to the plant's output, or the havoc being caused in the workplace. The massive drop in product quality and timely delivery must have been visible to them. It seems that the only thing they ever did was to send an HR person to visit the site, with no meaningful results.

You'd be surprised how many times I see the same thing occurring in other organizations. Army people like to complain about the Army, until they see what civvie street does to each other :)

Is your organization effective? Sadly, probably not:

http://www.cmc-canada.ca/blogs/richard-eaton/2016/12/13/is-your-organization-effective-sadly-probably-not

daftandbarmy said:
You'd be surprised how many times I see the same thing occurring in other organizations. Army people like to complain about the Army, until they see what civvie street does to each other :)

Is your organization effective? Sadly, probably not:

http://www.cmc-canada.ca/blogs/richard-eaton/2016/12/13/is-your-organization-effective-sadly-probably-not

Which I why I am eternally skeptical of people who rant about how much better off the military will be if it adopts various methods from business, or why a given politician is automatically a better candidate than a butcher, a baker or a candlestick maker because he "comes from the corporate world".

There are some very successful, well-run businesses with healthy workplaces and good management. They may actually be able to teach the military something. And then there are all the rest, whose failures are sometimes catastrophic but always end up hurting people: Eaton's, NorTel, Sears Canada, etc.

My opinion is that business people often don't do well in government, the amount of checks and balances and restrictions frustrates them to no end, but since government has the ability to make law and ruin people, you need those checks and balances. A typical problem is the matter of forming relationships, in business, you buy people lunch, take them golfing or some form of "bonding". You can't do that in government as it's is seen as corruption and bribery, failure to switch cultures can be fatal for a political career.

Colin P said:
My opinion is that business people often don't do well in government, the amount of checks and balances and restrictions frustrates them to no end, but since government has the ability to make law and ruin people, you need those checks and balances. A typical problem is the matter of forming relationships, in business, you buy people lunch, take them golfing or some form of "bonding". You can't do that in government as it's is seen as corruption and bribery, failure to switch cultures can be fatal for a political career.

Which is pretty much what we discovered in the BC Public Service as contained in our report:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/british-columbians-our-governments/organizational-structure/public-service/executive_transitions_report.pdf

Colin P said:

I was brought in for three years to work as the project director for a major JAG information technology program principally because of my experience in that field in my civilian practice. While I understand why the government needs checks and balances it was and is my opinion that the current human resources and materiel acquisition processes are dysfunctional. As configured and operating they cause excessive delays and added costs that no private industry would put up with. Quite simply when critical systems like this fail in private industry it increases the risk that the business itself will fail.  Bureaucracies don't "fail" as long as the public continues to pay taxes. In government, folks just accept the situation and carry on and muddle through.

FJAG said:
Quite simply when critical systems like this fail in private industry it increases the risk that the business itself will fail.  Bureaucracies don't "fail" as long as the public continues to pay taxes. In government, folks just accept the situation and carry on and muddle through.

#Phoenix

Back