• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is this the "new" MLVW??

Note that I'd PREFER to have all the same SMP vehicles the reg force gets, but these are just my thoughts on MILCOTS options.

Just a Sig Op said:
I see no reason a MILCOTS fleet of stirling trucks if purchased for the reserves couldn't last 15-20 years.

Not only are the current MLs dying, but there's a shortage of parts left to repair them, MILCOTS vehicles would have a commonality with civillian pattern vehicles, making getting spare parts easy, and maintenance easy.
The MLVW replacement is in the planning stages already.  While we are still far off from a particular vehicle being selected, I don't think the Army's best interests are in providing the reserves with a militarized civillian truck while fielding something different in the regular force. There is already enough of a training delta between the components, we don't need to further expand this by the addition of the driver, maintenance and weapon station skills for the entire B fleet.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Soooooooooooo in a nutshell the picture is wrong.  Thank you

Well I would say yes and no LWQ. These trucks are an interm vehicle IIRC.

MCG said:
The MLVW replacement is in the planning stages already.  While we are still far off from a particular vehicle being selected, I don't think the Army's best interests are in providing the reserves with a militarized civillian truck while fielding something different in the regular force. There is already enough of a training delta between the components, we don't need to further expand this by the addition of the driver, maintenance and weapon station skills for the entire B fleet.

Too late.  The plan is for a bifurcated fleet; SMP for deployed, COTS for domestic.  Not completely a Reg/Res split, but the SMP will never be seen at an Armoury.

It won't likely be a Sterling that they buy for the CF since Sterling is ceasing production on the 1 Mar 2009.  :cdn:

KJK

KJK said:
It won't likely be a Sterling that they buy for the CF since Sterling is ceasing production on the 1 Mar 2009.  :cdn:

KJK

Source?

The plant in St Thomas is closing.  Daimler is closing the whole division and brand.  Sterling has never lived up to the hope.  It was better run as Ford.  It was the largest class 7-8 production plant in Canada.  Navistar in Chatham and Paccar in Quebec is all that remain.  Mack is gone and Western Star is also....I bet some on this site would have something to say about them.  WS is also Daimler. 

Mr Plow said:
No.. you crash into things... I operate.  >:D
Sorry, you're thinking of my brother!
I am a HE op...and I'm not heavy!  LOL
BYTD

The NFLD Grinch said:
So we bought more orphaned kit again  ::) great

Freightliner (Daimler) will service for the at least the next ten years. Thousands and thousands in service across Canada and US.

It is a shame another plant is closing in Canada.  Sterling St. Thomas was the brand.  1500 people worked there.  We will soon not have much in manufacturing in Canada. 

Must say that it took forever for the "new" stirling dump trucks to get delivered to the Reserve units.
Problem with the balance point on the box VS the flatbed on which it sat.  IIRC it delayed their delivery by 2 or 3 years.
However, now that they are in service - they are reasonnably good trucks.

geo said:
Must say that it took forever for the "new" stirling dump trucks to get delivered to the Reserve units.
Problem with the balance point on the box VS the flatbed on which it sat.  IIRC it delayed their delivery by 2 or 3 years.
However, now that they are in service - they are reasonnably good trucks.

Geo don't get me wrong about the dump it is a good truck for what its worth. Only on gravel or paved roads they are great, the moment you have to go off road they start to have problems.

EDITED TO ADD

Especially with a loaded heavy trailer.

heh.... yeah, yeah..... I know.
Like I said, 2-3 years from date of purchase to date of delivery to FER units.

It is a decent truck, not a great truck IMHO

stuck In the field..... isn't that why you have the backhoe or bobcat on the trailer for >:D

Yeah well some genuises decided that we didn't need it for that ex, so it was left on base. Besides the only reason that HE was brought out was to haul all the damn kill house pieces.

Back