• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Is Hockey Too Rough ?

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
With a helmet,pads and mouth guard unless you are struck by a stick,I would think its pretty safe.In this case I blame the referee's but the I havent been around hockey much.Any thoughts ?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/brutal-canadian-youth-hockey-beating-leads-parent-culture-150110491.html

Brutal Canadian youth hockey beating leads parent to question culture of hockey

As a former player, snowing a goaltender when you have a 7-2 lead is asking for trouble.  I'm surprised he got off the ice with only the injuries he sustained.  Very poor sportsmanship under any circumstance, but made worse when you're up by 5 goals.

As a former official, a linesman shouldn't be rushing in to break up a fight - of all the bodies on the ice, they're wearing the least amount of physical protection.  Plus, they only wear a half-visor to allow them to blow their whistle - very easy to take a stick or punch to the chin if you move in too quickly, especially while the players are still standing. 

A referee really has to be on their game in the third period to prevent these events from occurring, but sometimes there is almost nothing you can do.  The article says that the incident occurred during a Midget A game, which is the level I most often saw serious fighting break out.  The higher level of AAA hockey usually was a little more controlled and professional, both from the coaches (who weren't parent volunteers) and the players (who were hoping to make positive impressions on the scouts).  If you're not playing AAA level as a Midget, you're probably not looking at hockey as a career, so these games can rapidly degrade into a goon-fest when teen testosterone levels spike.     

Hmm after seeing the video I can see why police said "Its part of hockey". There were multiple players throwing punches which would mean if police charged 1 player they would have to do the same for all the players throwing punches.

All team sports have the potential to break out into a fight during a game. I think its ok to ban fighting and hitting for the younger youths to avoid concussions and other harmfull injuries. Once you hit the adult age and can make your own decisions you should be well aware of the risks involved and what can happen in the sport. I'm for the odd fight in the NHL not the sucker hits or punches.

I do get tired of the word "safe" though I don't want to live in a world where were all in bubble wrap. I'd prefer to live a little with risk makes life more exciting/thrilling. (Not saying that safety isn't a good thing but sometimes its just a bit to much).

Dirt Digger is on the money.  Both the unsportsmanship comment, and that the refs have the right to keep themselves safe.  The ref in the video got in there pretty quick IMO.

The player that got shitkicked probably had a"tuning" coming to him, although it was extreme.  The punching was excessive and even professionals that are "allowed" to fight will always mostly let up once their opponent is on his face. 

The puncher should have received a hefty suspension for lack of control, perhaps even permanent suspension, but does not deserve criminal charges.

Ditto, the comment about A midget being a recipe for disaster.  There are men's leagues like this too, where these idiots think they are better than they really are and take it way too seriously.

I think that fighting is a part of hockey, but at the junior levels like that, the players don't know when they should fight and when to stop. I can bet you that the guy who attacked him had been waiting for an opportunity all game to get into a fight and then saw the perfect moment. He shouldn't have snowed the goaltender, yes, but I think just a shove and a few words would've sufficed instead of what happened.

I agree with many of the comments above, I've played and still play competitive hockey all my life, and when you're winning by that much, you don't snow a goalie. NEVER. Because what happened to him, happens.

The puncher clearly was mad for losing, and for his goalie being snowed, but he did go a little overboard, but there's nothing he can do, everything well in the moment.

Can't blame the referee on this one.  7-2.  He intentionally snows the goalie for absolutely no reason instigating the fight, and should have received a penalty for Unsportsman like conduct or an instigator.  13 White should have received a Match for Check to the Head (5m) + (5+GM) for Fighting, + 2 for aggressor. 

And if the ref wanted to be a real dick he could either throw on either a match for attempt to injure (5 + gm), but that would have never held up at a hearing because he already received a fighting major and never gained an advantage by using the helmet as a weapon.

The linesmen themselves acted like guys who have only been working that level for 2 or 3 years and reacted exactly the way they are supposed to.  Get in there fast, evaluate the situation, figure out which fight is the worst, wait for partner to arrive while clearing debris away so no one gets injured, go in together after the fight has ended or one player has gained a significant advantage.

The only thing I would have done if I was the linesman would be to jump right on top of them and smother both of them, relying on my partner to react accordingly, but I personally have worked higher hockey and dealt with this kind of stuff fairly often.

Also this is a Major Midget A game.  Referees might see less than 1 fight a year if all they work is minor hockey, and that's saying something when you can be on the ice for 10 hrs a week all year.

End result if I had to guess:  Suspension to 13 white, probably 10-15 meaningful games (standard league play, not counting exhibitions and tournaments), so more like 20+ games = 2-3 months, and parents probably lost anywhere between $2,000-6,000 that they had to pay toward the team regardless if their son plays or not.  But definitely not criminal assault.  There was a punch up where buddy had his nose broken and a concussion and parents run for the bubble wrap.  And because they don't have any recourse and feel unable to do anything themselves, they go to the police as a security blanket.

Wonder what the parents' reaction would have been if their kid had won the fight?

Overall, I don't think it's too rough. I love the sport. I love the speed and skill involved. I even love the *clean* hits. 'Wish I was a decent player.

But I'm pretty sure he was kicked out again first game back after his four-game suspension for a shot to the head on another player. At the level he's playing, I think his benefit to the team vs. his liability need to be evaluated.  Sure, snowing the goalie was a cheap move and the other player definitely had something coming, but the retaliation was over-the-top IMO.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/teen-hockey-player-to-be-charged-in-beating-of-another-player#scpshrjmd

Updated: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 14:02:42 GMT | By CBC News, cbc.ca

Teen hockey player to be charged in beating of another player

The parents of a 16-year-old Ontario hockey player who was repeatedly punched in the face and head by another player have been told by police that charges will be laid in the case after they came forward to CBC News Go Public with video evidence.

Julie Major said police in Woodstock, Ont., called her husband, Wes Major, and told him that after a "heated debate" with the Crown attorney, they have decided to lay charges in the incident involving her son Nick.

When contacted by Go Public reporter Kathy Tomlinson, Woodstock police Chief Rodney Freeman wouldn't confirm that charges would be laid against the player.

"We've talked to the victim's family, but we aren't putting out a formal release yet," Freeman said. "We are looking to wrap this up very soon for the benefit of the community."

The 16-year-old facing charges can’t be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

In a hockey game in January, Nick, who plays major midget 'A' hockey in Woodstock, skated toward the opposing net near the end of the third period.

When the whistle blew, he stopped in front — spraying the opposing team’s goalie with ice.

In apparent retaliation, a Brantford player cross-checked him from behind. Other players crowded the net and fights broke out.

With Nick down on the ice, the same player who checked him then grabbed him, pulled his helmet off, and punched him relentlessly in the head — at least 10 times — before the linesman was able to pull him off.

Both boys were suspended for fighting — Nick for two games and the other boy for four, because it was his second fight of the season.

But Nick’s mother's video shows Nick didn’t fight back. He took the blows, then got up and skated to the bench. He suffered a broken nose, concussion, bruises and cuts.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Start charging and banning all players who fight.

I personally don't know how I feel about the criminal charges. I'm absolutely drawn to the finesse of the sport more than the brawls, but I enjoy the hits as well--I believe they have their time and place. Enforcers also play a good role, but there's a line.

My concern is the players who consistently and/or have a history of playing dirty. I know they have their fan-base and I feel that way about players in any league from the top down. If your only objective is to go and take someone out, it needs to be addressed. Criminally? I don't know if that's necessarily the route to go, but I bet it is for the parents whose child was severely or perminently injured.

Back