• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Investigation into RN warship's accidental launch of torpedo at nuke sub wharf

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
An accidental launch of a torpedo?

Military.com

Navy Warship Fires Torpedo into Nuclear Sub Wharf

An investigation is under way after a Royal Navy warship accidentally fired a torpedo into a dockyard wharf where Britain's nuclear submarines are refuelled and repaired. HMS Argyll was on a training exercise at Devonport dockyard in Plymouth when the torpedo was "jettisoned unexpectedly".

The navy said the Test Variant torpedo was a dummy weapon which contained no explosives.
No one was injured in the incident on Wednesday, but training has been suspended while an investigation is carried out.

A spokesman added that no one was on the jetty at the time, and the torpedo caused minor damage to a security fence when it landed inside the base.

"We can confirm an incident occurred on board HMS Argyll on March 12 at 3.24pm, while the ship was alongside at Devonport naval base in Plymouth," the spokesman said. "HMS Argyll was conducting a system test when an inert Test Variant torpedo was jettisoned unexpectedly. The torpedo is not an explosive hazard."

(...EDITED)

An accidental launch of a torpedo?
We've done it before too...
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/news/article.page?doc=hmcs-iroquois-accidental-torpedo-discharge/hnocfjjz
Not as bad as doing it in harbour, but still a huge mistake. I seem to remember hearing about another incident like this, but can't find any references about it.

I can't remember which ship did it, but I seem to recall a destroyer got bit by her own fish up in Nanoose back in the 80's - it apparently lost contact with the target so turned back on the largest sonar hit it could find.

Back