• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Introduction

abflett

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Adam Flett and I am very interested in joining the Canadian Forces. I am 31 with a family of 3 living in Manitoba. I have a passion with technology & science and love tinkering, creating and fixing things. I have completed grade 12 and have less then a year for a Red Seal in the Automotive Technician trade and tons of skills & experience in other trades.

There are many reasons and interests for joining the Canadian Forces. I have always felt the need to be someone with responsibilities and respect that might make differences for our country and our world (Changing someones headlight so they do not get a ticket in not cutting it for me). I have pride and want my family, friends and mostly myself to be proud of my career. To me the Canadian Forces is career where money, people you know, butt kissing does not earn your place; but loyalty, respect, teamwork, hard-work and other proper ethics earn your place. I would love to have a chance of a meaningful career in Canadian Forces, making a difference and protecting our country.

I have some questions that I could not find answers easily.

a. After completing my Automotive Technician Trade; would that grant me eligibility direct entry for any regular forces trades? If so what trades?

b. I have bad vision in one eye, but the other is perfect. Would that be an issue for any technical trades?

c. I am the most interested in being an Officer(Aerospace Engineering Officer or other technical trades) and also interested in the regular officer training plan. With a family I have financial obligations and the forces.ca site are not quite clear on what the salary would be(Officer Cadet Class A/B/C) during the education process?

d. During university is there jobs/training that could improve my status/rank or are you locked in the same basic salary for 4 years?

e. I would love to get more involved with the Canadian Forces, is there any programs, voluntary work, training programs that I could participate in Manitoba/Winnipeg?

Thanks for taking your time to read a little about me and my interest in the Canadian Forces.
-Adam Flett

A) this should answer your question. Nothing i dont think is really "direct" as you will still be trained to CAF standard. As for which jobs... i imagine anything having to do with automotive work.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-equivalencies/index.page

B) this link should shed some light on your vision issue. If it makes you feel better, im a v4 uncorrected and as long as i meet the standards corrected, ill be ok.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/cf-visual-acuity-testing-instructions.page

C) link showing your pay scale as an officer, including rotp cadet pay and onward.http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/reg-force-class-c-officer-rates.page

D)  no clue

E) hit up your local RC, armoury, or reserve detachment to ask and see if you can.

abflett said:
a. After completing my Automotive Technician Trade; would that grant me eligibility direct entry for any regular forces trades? If so what trades?

Direct entry no.  Semi-Skilled vehicle technician possibly.  That will depend on where you went to school, there is a (internal) list, for recruiting staff to check.

b. I have bad vision in one eye, but the other is perfect. Would that be an issue for any technical trades?

Possibly, ony qualified CAF Medical staff can determine that.

c. I am the most interested in being an Officer(Aerospace Engineering Officer or other technical trades) and also interested in the regular officer training plan. With a family I have financial obligations and the forces.ca site are not quite clear on what the salary would be(Officer Cadet Class A/B/C) during the education process?

See above

d. During university is there jobs/training that could improve my status/rank or are you locked in the same basic salary for 4 years?
During ROTP, you will be sent on occupational courses or on the job training when you are not in school.  Salaries have a yearly step increase, also in link above.

e. I would love to get more involved with the Canadian Forces, is there any programs, voluntary work, training programs that I could participate in Manitoba/Winnipeg?

There is no volunteer work within the CAF, you are either a paid member or you are not.  Training programs...Regular Force or Reserve.

Back