• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

International Fleet Review (Halifax)

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
http://halifaxifr.ca/en/Home/tabid/61/Default.aspx

Just a link for those that may want to check it out.

Thank you.

The plan is for us to be there for it.  :nod:

Oh man, how I wish I could go to that. It's a shame, cause we'll be skirting through Halifax too.

Looks like I'll be taking a trip to Halifax for the weekend of the 26th and 27th.

Get to tour some ships before I get to someday sail on them.

I would love to be there except I will be Sailing up to the Arctic.

Everyone take tons of pictures please.

I'm gonna try to get their for Canada day it seems. Take in some of the tours. Unfortunately it seems I'll miss most of the ships.

I'll try to get as many pictures as I can.

Does anyone know how good the tour will be?  Like how much of the ship will actually be seen?  I know it will vary for different ships depending on what country they are from, but how much can I expect to see without it becoming insecure.

Also, is there any navy guys in Halifax on this board that could maybe give me a better tour or arrange something a little different?

Thanks.

Most of the tours will be upper decks only so as not to interfere with work, duty watches and dockyard maintenance.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Most of the tours will be upper decks only so as not to interfere with work, duty watches and dockyard maintenance.

Thanks.

I'm excited to tour the ships.

Left some hints on the "executive curl" thread for going down to the waterfront this weekend. I think I will be making an early day of it and get out of there a little after noon tomorrow. Don't forget about the Centennial Village - They took 400 ^%#@*& parking spots - everyone better enjoy it!!!!

Spent a terrific day down at the village and dockyard. Well worth heading down early and getting through most of the ships, booths early. Tomorrow is the sailing regatta.

Went down with my son and his girl friend yesterday to see what we could see. The kids got some good pictures - my batteries went dead. I'm going tomorrow to do some tours and see the centennial village, with fresh new batteries!!!

Hawk

Hit the dockyard today, did the tours early. Good thing I did by noon the tour line for the Ark Royal was long. The village was ok, didn't open until noon though.

Stoker said:
Hit the dockyard today, did the tours early. Good thing I did by noon the tour line for the Ark Royal was long. The village was ok, didn't open until noon though.

I showed up at the dockyard at 10:20 AM (opened at 10:00 AM), and waited two hours to get on board.  :eek:

I"m stuck on the bus IFR bus run all week. Just finshed a shift.

All military are welcome to jump on the bus. Just need to present military ID. Every hour and half hour from 0730 until 2230hrs every day. From Pier 21 / HMCS Scotian / DKYD / STAD / Hfx Shopping Centre / Commons and then back to Pier 21. Make sure you have a Timmies for the Bus Driver.

P.S. I"ll take an XL Black.

Spent 2+ hours in line only to find only USS WASP was open for tours though an energetic young matelot set up a 'canteen' at the foot of ARK ROYAL's brow selling Ts etc and yes, I got one!!! The tour of WASP was interesting and it always amazes me when you get out on the flight deck and realize how big these "mini carriers" truly are. I have been on a couple of the Nimitz class  but his was my first time inside. I think our tour guide though was not only REALLY hung over but was also more interested in  the young 'chicky' giving the tour in front of us!! He didn't really add anything at all to the experience. Having said that, I know how much 'fun' those tour guide tasks can be if you are just not in the 'mood'. The crews set up on the flight deck were pretty entertaining though. Long wait - once in a lifetime (maybe) and undecided if I'd do it again. I had promised a buddy on TORONTO I would stop in and see him but we never made it down that far (They are down by Pier 21). Surprised that HALIFAX was the only ship with a canteen booth set up in the Centennial Village selling swag???
Tomorrow is a quiet work day for me personally but Tuesday, I have to warm up the pinkee finger as I "dine" at a luncheon with the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh (or again, as someone at work said; Betty and Phil!)

Oh...and forgot to mention - The Hampton Gray Corsair made a couple passes today while I was in line - Looks great!

Unfortunatly I didn't get to tour all the ships, but it was a great weekend.

I got to tour:  HMCS Athabaskan
                      HMCS Toronto
                      HMS Sutherland
                      HMS Liverpool
                      RFA Fort George
                      HDMS Ejnar Mikkelsen
                      USS Barry 
                      HMCS Sackville
                      CSS Acadia

I got a few pictures of the ships and I'll try to put them into a slideshow and get em up on youtube.

Hey everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker.

I just had a quick question on the IFR. I'm just watching bits and pieces of it on CBC, and I noticed a naval officer's uniform which had some different accoutrement.

From a quick glance, it was either a Lieutenant or LCdr, but he was also wearing what struck me as a heavy cavalry knot (I was more focused on that than the number of sleeve rings). I was just curious if anyone could help me out as to what that signifies, or what kind of position receives permission to wear that.

Thanks!

Back