• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Intelligence Officer / Operator

• Thread starter future_soldier
  • Start date
Juliandam26 said:
I have a question regarding what kind of training and how long it is for intelligence officers. Also, I would like to kindly request any kind of information regarding that specific trade.

As marionike pointed out there is lots of information on this site that you can read. 

Juliandam26 said:
I have bee looking into the forum but I haven't been able to find much information (or probably I don't know where to look). I will really appreciate any input regarding this trade.

You just failed one of the attributes required of someone aspiring for a career in the intelligence field.

Enjoy your reading.

quote< You just failed one of the attributes required of someone aspiring for a career in the intelligence field. >  <- that's funny because it's true.

I have a question about the qualifications for becoming an intelligence Officer.

I have an honours degree in Sociology and a Master's degree in criminology. I have seen the university degrees required for this job and neither of the two I hold match. It's unfortunate because the skill set I have is identical to what is required as an intelligence Officer and it would be a dream job for me. Is there any way to have this problem addressed? For example I believe I have heard of having a department in Ottawa assessing situations like this on a case by case basis (I could be wrong though).

Any information would be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

What did the recruiter tell you? The only one than can give you an answer to that is a recruiter.
With those degrees, it is definitely worth your time to go ask in person.

The recruiter told me I should look at intelligence operator first and was pretty by the book in terms of the qualifications. I had spoken to a recruiter in the past and I believe that is where I got the info about having the situation assessed by a department in Ottawa, that was a while ago though and it was vague at best. I just find it hard to believe that this is e end an issue, I understand policy and procedure has to be followed but frustrating nonetheless.

Thinkingofenlisting said:
I have a question about the qualifications for becoming an intelligence Officer.

I have an honours degree in Sociology and a Master's degree in criminology. I have seen the university degrees required for this job and neither of the two I hold match. It's unfortunate because the skill set I have is identical to what is required as an intelligence Officer and it would be a dream job for me. Is there any way to have this problem addressed? For example I believe I have heard of having a department in Ottawa assessing situations like this on a case by case basis (I could be wrong though).

Any information would be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

You want to become an Intelligence officer, yet you have failed on one of the most important criteria of what would make you a desirable candidate to become an intelligence operator. 

mariomike said:
Some here.

"I want to be Int" Mega-thread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12858.200

Thanks mariomike.  Although not an INT OP, you show more skills than many who are asking questions here.

What degrees actually match? Forces.ca mentions 'relevant' degrees, but I was asked if I wanted to go the officer route with a BFA.

Messorius said:
What degrees actually match? Forces.ca mentions 'relevant' degrees, but I was asked if I wanted to go the officer route with a BFA.

Did you tell them that you understood that officers generally use a pistol and not a rifle, thus the BFA wouldn't be of much use during training?

Good2Golf said:
Did you tell them that you understood that officers generally use a pistol and not a rifle, thus the BFA wouldn't be of much use during training?

No, but I'm remembering that for later. ;D

I'm a university student and working toward a degree in IT(Information technology).  I was thinking over my choices of what i would want to do in the military and narrowed it down to armour, infantry, or intelligence officer through direct entry.  I know i made a post about infantry officer earlier to ask if my degree was fine but wanted to know if my degree would make me eligible to become an armour or intelligence officer as well. Any help would be great just want to make sure i have options if i decide to change my mind about infantry and want to do something else that I'm interested in. 

Steve_m said:
Any help would be great just want to make sure i have options if i decide to change my mind about infantry and want to do something else that I'm interested in.

12 pages of Intelligence Officer ( and Operator ) questions and answers:

"I want to be Int" Mega-thread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12858.200

Good day,
I would like to join the CAF as an intelligence officer. However that trade is not currently open to DEO applicants. I will be graduating with a degree in international studies this spring and I don't want to spend a few years in RMC. So in the long run what trade would prepare me best to be intO? I heard it's very competetive to get in and I have 0 relevant experience beyond my degree.

Thank you

You could start out as a Reserve Int Operator Or Officer if there is a Reserve Int Company in your area.

Otherwise, I'd look into Communications Research Operator. Some of the stuff Comms Rsch Ops do is even more secret squirrel than Int and CANSOFCOM.

Otherwise, there's not much... Sonar Operator, Naval Communicator?  Those aren't officer occupations though.

Fair warning however, it's not easy to change your trade/occupation, the process is very lengthy, and it's not guaranteed to be approved either. I would suggest looking into other occupations that interest you, ones you could see yourself doing for a long period of time and select one of those... Or just wait it out until IntO becomes available to DEO applicants, and probably your least favourite choice, enter under ROTP as IntO (they're hiring), and get another degree.

MShep said:
Good day,
I would like to join the CAF as an intelligence officer. However that trade is not currently open to DEO applicants. I will be graduating with a degree in international studies this spring and I don't want to spend a few years in RMC. So in the long run what trade would prepare me best to be intO? I heard it's very competetive to get in and I have 0 relevant experience beyond my degree.

Thank you

One of the most important skills one needs to become an Intelligence officer or Intelligence Operator, is the skill to surf the internet and research.  That would mean you should enhance your Google Fu.

Here is a source you may read here on this site:

https://army.ca/forums/threads/12858/post-1029950.html#msg1029950

A good method of doing a Component Transfer to INT O is to join as a Combat Arms officer and gain knowledge and experience in ORBATS of friendly and 'enemy' organizations and their SOPs and equipment.  The knowledge you will learn as a Combat Arms officer (Army, Navy or Air Force (mostly Army)) will put you in a good position to switch later.

Thanks for your insight guys! Guess there's just a lot of opportunities available for me after school and I'll have to follow my gut feeling. A good problem to have.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how a reserve unit operates. More specifically, do each branch of the Canadian forces (Army, Navy and AF) work together? Or are the units specific to each branch?

I am in school right now and want to finish my degree while working for the reserves. I originally wanted to apply to the Air Force as an Intel Officer, but the closest AF base to me is hours away in Borden, which would prove difficult being in school. There is an Army reserve unit walking distance to where I live. I know everything depends on the demand for your trade, and job openings, but if I did apply to the Air Force, would I be able to work at the army unit nearer to me?

k25 said:
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how a reserve unit operates. More specifically, do each branch of the Canadian forces (Army, Navy and AF) work together? Or are the units specific to each branch?

I am in school right now and want to finish my degree while working for the reserves. I originally wanted to apply to the Air Force as an Intel Officer, but the closest AF base to me is hours away in Borden, which would prove difficult being in school. There is an Army reserve unit walking distance to where I live. I know everything depends on the demand for your trade, and job openings, but if I did apply to the Air Force, would I be able to work at the army unit nearer to me?

Keeping it short and simple, basically when you join an army reserve unit, you need to be one of the trades that unit employs. Most units are majority one trade- infantry, artillery, engineers, armour, etc- but some units will have a variety of different trades, such as the service battalions, communications units, etc. Every unit will employ maybe a couple of clerks, maybe a supply tech or two in addition to their primary trade. But by and large, if you're joining say an infantry unit, expect to be joining and working as infantry. You won't get much if any experience working with the other elements, but you'll sometimes get experience working with other trades within your element- eg an infantry unit will sometimes work with the engineers, medics, artillery, armour, etc.

Which unit is closest to you? That would make it easier to give a more precise answer.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Which unit is closest to you? That would make it easier to give a more precise answer.

I live right downtown in Toronto. The closest reserve unit to me is 32 Signal Regiment: Fort York - it's an armoury so I am guessing I would not be able to work there given as I am applying to be intelligence. I know there are a few more in the city, though.

Back