• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Intelligence Branch historian

dfuller52

Inactive
Reaction score
I am trying to reach the historian for the Intelligence Branch Association but their web site seems to be moribund and all the mailboxes are full. Can anyone tell me if they are still functioning and if the historian is reachable? And while we're at it, what happened to them?

Try contacting the Directorate of History in Ottawa, part of DND.  If anyone knows it would be them.

dfuller52 said:
I am trying to reach the historian for the Intelligence Branch Association but their web site seems to be moribund and all the mailboxes are full. Can anyone tell me if they are still functioning and if the historian is reachable? And while we're at it, what happened to them?

Is there a specific subject of information you are looking for?

I am trying to learn more about Sgt. William A McCarthy, below, who is mentioned in S.R. Elliot's history of C Int C as having been a member of 17th Fld Security Coy doing area searches behind Canadian troops as they moved through Normandy. He is listed as being injured by a booby trap or delayed action bomb in early August and his death certificate says "died of wounds" so I am just trying to learn more about his final days and more details about what his unit's duties and function were.

McCARTHY, WILLIAM A.
Initials: W A
Nationality: Canadian
Regiment/Service: Canadian Intelligence Corps
Date of Death: 06/09/1944
Service No: C/79290
Additional information: Son of Mrs. M. E. McCarthy, of Toronto, Ontario.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: XXVI. A. 3.
Cemetery: BRETTEVILLE-SUR-LAIZE CANADIAN WAR CEMETERY

I doubt if you're going to find that information from the Int Branch historian, but you can try and good luck... 

Im afraid I have to agree with the other poster, there is likely little change the Int Branch historian will be of much help here.  I still think you should contact the Directorate of History in Ottawa or even the National War Museam.  Both have staff on hand that are paid to help people and guide them with specific research and they are indeed most helpful.

Back