• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

intelligence and signal

ccyl18

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,
do I need a specific university degree for being a intelligence officer or signal officer?

ccyl18 said:
Hi,
do I need a specific university degree for being a intelligence officer or signal officer?
I have a law degree and a Kinesiology degree. Does this help?

The academic standards required to apply to the Canadian Armed Forces as a Direct Entry Officer for these occupations is as follows:

Intelligence Officer (DEO)

IDEAL
Baccalaureate degree:
o Conflict Studies
o Computer Science
o Global Studies / Development
o History
o International Relations/ Studies
o Military and Strategic Studies
o Political Science / Politics

Bachelor of Engineering
o Computers

It is also acceptable to have any Baccalaureate degree.

Signals Officer

IDEAL
Bachelor of Engineering:
o Communications
o Computers
o Electrical
o Software Systems
Bachelor of Science:
o Computer Science
o Information Systems
o Information Technology

ACCEPTABLE
Bachelor of Engineering:
o Aerospace/Aeronautical
o Mechanical
o Physics
Bachelor of Science:
o Applied Math
o Applied Sciences
o Imagery
o Math & Physics
o Math
o Physics
o Space Sciences

What is the differences between intelligence officer and intelligence operator? I can't figure it out after reading the description. And is the educational requirement of operator the same as that of officer as below I copy and paste from previous post? Is intelligence officer more difficult get into than intelligence operator?

"Intelligence Officer (DEO)

IDEAL
Baccalaureate degree:
o Conflict Studies
o Computer Science
o Global Studies / Development
o History
o International Relations/ Studies
o Military and Strategic Studies
o Political Science / Politics

Bachelor of Engineering
o Computers"

Operator vs. Officer is basically non-commissioned vs. commissioned isn't it?
Operator's educational requirements are just high school (see below), while an Officer needs a bachelor's degree as Warrant Officer Robert has stated.

http://www.forces.ca/en/job/intelligenceoperator-9 said:
Required Education
The minimum required education to apply for this position is the completion of the provincial requirements for Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec. Foreign education may be accepted.

Sorry to hijack your thread like a band of 1980's Libyan terrorists here but I have a question which falls precisely on this topic, perhaps a recruiter could clarify.

I understand from attending a reserves recruiting session for Intelligence up at Downsview that you RARELY (read: basically never) hire for Intelligence DEO from civilian. They'd much rather bring someone up through the ranks who has been in the field on deployment and knows first hand the military's intelligence needs. The positions themselves are few in number. Is DEO in the field of Intelligence basically a dead choice sitting on your application?

This is the impression I got from the info session.

The difference between Intelligence Officers and Intelligence Operators is the way in which each is employed.  The occupations are similar in nature but the Intelligence Officer is responsible for the Command, Control and employment of Units/Sections/Teams and resources assigned to them in support of CAF objectives and missions.

The "minimum" entry standards for an Intelligence Operator are Gr 11 plus a Gr 11 English or French course.  At the present time, the CAF only hires Regular Force Intelligence Operators through our in-service selection programs, therefore, you must already be a member of the CAF to be eligible for this occupation.

The CAF also hires Intelligence Officers through both the DEO and ROTP Entry Plans annually through our Recruiting Detachments, in addition to our in-service selection programs only available to current serving members.  The later of which are in greater numbers.

Warrant Officer Robert said:
The CAF also hires Intelligence Officers through both the DEO and ROTP Entry Plans annually through our Recruiting Detachments, in addition to our in-service selection programs only available to current serving members.  The later of which are in greater numbers.

Warrant Officer Robert, thanks for your reply.
I'd like to ask for further clarification - so as you state Operators are hired internally only and there are greater numbers hired for Officer from in-service programs that DEO, so overall Intelligence hiring seems fairly internalized. But is there an approximate figure on how many Intelligence Officers do get hired via DEO on a yearly basis? I've heard it is as little as 1 or in some years 0, I get the feeling people who put this trade down are in for a very long wait
Thank you.

cdnjarhead said:
Warrant Officer Robert, thanks for your reply.
I'd like to ask for further clarification - so as you state Operators are hired internally only and there are greater numbers hired for Officer from in-service programs that DEO, so overall Intelligence hiring seems fairly internalized. But is there an approximate figure on how many Intelligence Officers do get hired via DEO on a yearly basis? I've heard it is as little as 1 or in some years 0, I get the feeling people who put this trade down are in for a very long wait
Thank you.

Military Intelligence means that one, whether a NCM or and officer, must have a good grounding in military ORBATS (Friend and Foe), Tactics, Equipment, etc. that a civilian does not have a sound knowledge of.  It is quicker to bring in Operators and officers who already have knowledge and experience with military matters, than to spend several years having to teach someone off the street what is what.  The other thing that an Intelligence Operator or officer should have is "credibility" when briefing Combat Arms personnel, and people who have not "been there, done that" often do not have that  rapport. 

George Wallace thanks very much for your input. Understood about the balance between experience while also not being a 'been there done that' type and putting too much stock in your personal experience vs. the facts.
From a hiring standpoint this gels with what I was told at the info. session re: people needing most of all military experience, the ORBATS.

If I had a more flexible employer and wasn't looking to go Regular, I would probably go Intelligence reserves. That being said, I want to change careers and go Regular and its sounding Intelligence will be a long wait. Decisions decisions !

Back