• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

INJURED IN KAF

chief_of_da_fence

Reaction score
I am a a class reservest
when i wan in kaf i ended up getting injured.
other than physio is the CF suposed to be takeing care of me.

chief_of_da_fence said:
I am a a class reservest

The short answer is yes.

The long answer should be answered by your brigade MO, or through your units CoC.

Just for personal interest; what was the extent of the injury?

chief_of_da_fence said:
I am a a class reservest

Yes, as per RHFC Piper's answer.

I'll send you the refs for this tomorrow from work.

Point of note, your profile seems well filled out and articulate. Could you please use caps etc when posting into a thread, it makes it much easier to read and comprehend. Thanks.

One of the pertinent refs:

CANFORGEN 116/04 ADMHRMIL 062 241749Z AUG 04
EXTENSION OF CLASS C RESERVE SERVICE FOR INJURY OR ILLNESS WHILE IN SDA/SDO
UNCLASSIFIED
REFS: A: CFAO 210.29
B. CBI 210-72
C. DAOD 5018-2
D. DAOD 2008-3
1.  REFS A AND B OUTLINE THE POLICY FOR COMPENSATION OF LOST SALARY FOR RESERVE (RES) FORCE MBRS WHO INCUR AN INJURY OR ILLNESS DIRECTLY ATTRIBUTABLE TO MILITARY SERVICE. AS A RESULT OF MORE AND MORE RESERVISTS HOWEVER BEING INTEGRATED INTO ALL ASPECTS OF CF OPERATIONS AND A RESULTING INCREASE OF INJURIES, IT HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED THAT INEQUITIES FOR COVERAGE AND ENTITLEMENT BETWEEN REGULAR AND RESERVE PERSONNEL EXIST; THEREFORE A MODERNIZATION OF THE POLICY FOR RES FORCE DISABILITY COMPENSATION POLICY IS REQUIRED
2.  ONE PARTICULAR AREA OF CONCERN IS THE LACK OF PROVISION FOR RESERVISTS EMPLOYED IN A SPECIAL DUTY AREA/SPECIAL DUTY OPERATION (SDA/SDO), WHO INCUR AN INJURY OR ILLNESS THAT IS NOT ATTRIBUTABLE TO MILITARY SVC. UNDER CURRENT POLICY RES FORCE MBRS WOULD NOT BE ENTITLED TO DISABILITY COMPENSATION UPON COMPLETION OF THEIR CLASS C RES SERVICE IN SUCH A SITUATION
3.  AS AN INTERIM MEASURE AND UNTIL A DETAILED REVIEW OF THE PRESENT POLICY IS COMPLETED, ALL RES FORCE MBRS INJURED OR ILL WHILE SERVING ON CLASS C SERVICE IN AN SDA/SDO, WILL NOW BE ELIGIBLE FOR EXTENSION OF CLASS C SERVICE UP TO A MAXIMUM OF 24 MONTHS OR UNTIL SUCH TIME AS THE MBR MEETS ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
A.  IS DECLARED MEDICALLY FIT BY MO
B.  RESUMES ACTIVE PARTICIPATION IN THE RES FORCE
C.  RETURNS TO THE CIVILIAN EMPLOYMENT HELD PRIOR TO GOING TO AN SDA/SDO
D.  IS ABLE TO SEEK CIVILIAN EMPLOYMENT
E.  IS ABLE TO RESUME ATTENDANCE AT AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION IF HE/SHE WAS A FULL TIME STUDENT PRIOR TO DEPLOYMENT
F.  IF MBR RESUMES SCHOOL BUT CANNOT PARADE, DCSA WILL REIMBURSE MISSED CLASS A TRAINING
4.  NO EXTENSION WILL BE GRANTED IF MBR REFUSES THE MEDICAL TREATMENT PRESCRIBED,OR THE MBR IS MEDICALLY RELEASED FROM THE CF
5.  AS SOON AS A RES FORCE MBR BECOMES DISABLED AS A RESULT OF AN INJURY OR ILLNESS WHILE SERVING ON CLASS C RES SERVICE IN AN SDA/SDO OR DURING PRE DEPLOYMENT, THE EMPLOYING CO SHALL NOTIFY DCSA AND THE MBR S HOME UNIT CO OF ANY DISABLING INJURY VIA AN SIR, IAW REF D, AND FORWARD A CF98 WITHIN 14 DAYS AS PER REF C
6.  WHEN HOME UNIT CO ADVISES DCSA OF THE REQUIREMENT TO EXTEND THE PERIOD OF CLASS C SERVICE, DCSA WILL FORWARD BY MESSAGE FINANCIAL CODING FOR INITIAL 3 MONTHS EXTENSION. THE PERIOD OF CLASS C RES SVC MAY BE EXTENDED AS REQUIRED IN THREE MONTH INCREMENTS TO A MAX OF 24 MONTHS
7.  BEFORE AUTHORIZATION OF INITIAL 3 MONTH EXTENSION, HOME UNIT SHALL SEND A MESSAGE TO DCSA WITH FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
A.  MEMBER S PARTICULARS, INCL SN, RANK, NAME AND INIT
B.  CONFIRMATION THAT MEMBER WAS ON CLASS C RES SERVICE IN AN SDA/SDO AT THE TIME OF INJURY/ILLNESS
C.  MEMBER S HOME UNIT AND CURRENT CLASS C EMPLOYING UNIT
D.  CURRENT CLASS C TERMINATION DATE
E.  CONFIRMATION BY MO OF DATES OF ANTICIPATED INCAPACITATION
F.  NAME OF SDA/SDO OR PRE-DEPLOYMENT TRAINING LOCATION RELATED TO AN SDA/SDO
8.  HOME UNIT SHALL FORWARD FORM FOR EXTENSION OF CLASS C SERVICE REQUEST AS SOON AS POSSIBLE TO NDHQ/DCSA 2
9.  THIS INTERIM POLICY IS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
10.  THE FORM FOR EXTENSION WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON IN THE DEFENCE FORM CATALOGUE UNDER HTTP://DISO-S041.OTTAWA-HULL.MIL.CA/DFC2/
11.  IT IS RECOGNIZED THAT THIS INTERIM POLICY ONLY COVERS A SPECIFIC GROUP OF THE RES FORCE, CLASS C SDA/SDO. THERE IS A WORKING GROUP UNDER ADM (HR-MIL) THAT IS LOOKING INTO A LONG TERM SOLUTION FOR RES DISABILITY COMPENSATION
12.  OPI FOR APPROVAL OF EXTENSION OF CLASS C SERVICE FOR INJURY OR ILLNESS WHILE IN SDA/SDO WILL BE DCSA 2, 1-800-883-6094, (613)995-1457 OR AVN-845-1457

Just some friendly advice about pursuing an extension to a class C contract (from direct experience);
to avoid a "hiccup" in pay, get on this ASAP.  If your contract has already ended you can still apply and pay should be retroactive, just get the paperwork started right away... Initial extension can take a long time to sort itself out.

There is a specific process required;

Step 1)
Locate, via your Orderly room, the "Application for extension of Class "C" Reserve Service for injury/illness while in SDA/SDO" form. [DND 2346 (12-2004)]
This form is also avilable on the DIN.

Fill out appropriate sections (1 & 2)
Section 3 should be filled out by your chief clerk, but I just fill it out my self... it's only 3 questions and it save the clerks from asking you the same junk.

You will also have to fill out "ANNEX B".

Step 2)
Locate your CF98 form from the original injury
You will need a copy of this to accompany your application.

Step 3)
Have a full medical done by local MO (at Heath Services Cetre), and have the MO fill out "ANNEX A"

Step 4)
If you have missed civilian work due to your injury; Your employer will have to fill out "ANNEX C"
If not, don't worry about it.

Step 5)
Once this is all done, the form should be turned into your assisting officer or through your chain of command.
Your Assisting officer, direct superior or "investigating officer" should be filling out "Section 4", and then your CO should use all the above info to fill out "Section 5"

Once all this is done, your units Orderly Room will forward this info to higher and send a message to the appropriate personnel to continue your pay as quickly as possible.

This has to be done every 90 days for a maximum of 2 years.  Of course, the subsequent extensions are pending your physical condition.
I strongly advise that if you have to extend your contract more than once, you should begin this process at the beginning of the 3rd month of the previous extension, or, at the latest, the middle of the 3rd month... but that's pushing it.
Also, book you next Medical exam (for the next extension) when you go in for the first one.
Doing this will save you from pay and contract hiccups and will save your chief clerk from getting nasty messages from brigade/area clerks.

If you are deemed unfit after 2 years; contact VAC.... you should contact VAC anyway. You may be entitled to a claim.

I hope that helped, and if I missed anything, I'm sure someone will correct me. (Keep in mind, I omitted some stuff you won't need to know.)

Back