• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Initial engagment query

Simba

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a query regarding duration of intial engagment.
I received an offer as a DEO regF with intial engagment of 9 years. I am looking for a long term career with army but still curious shouldn't it be a shorter duration for DEO unlike ROTP where university tution fee is covered. As per DAOD 5002-1, Enrolment , it is between 18 months to max length of VIE which is 9 years.
Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Last edited:
If you look at the DAOD, it notes that for Regular Forces the available terms of service (TOS) are determined by ADM(HR-Mil) Instruction 05/05, The New CF Regular Force Terms of Service. This document exists but it is now known as CF Military Personnel Instruction 05/05. I don't think it is available on the internet.

The DAOD only identifies the basic minimum criteria. The CFMPI gives a specific set of TOS options for each military occupation and entry plan.

A 9-year VIE is a possible TOS for some DEOs.

If you look at the DAOD, it notes that for Regular Forces the available terms of service (TOS) are determined by ADM(HR-Mil) Instruction 05/05, The New CF Regular Force Terms of Service. This document exists but it is now known as CF Military Personnel Instruction 05/05. I don't think it is available on the internet.

The DAOD only identifies the basic minimum criteria. The CFMPI gives a specific set of TOS options for each military occupation and entry plan.

A 9-year VIE is a possible TOS for some DEOs.
Correct, as I couldn't find CF Military Personnel Instruction 05/05 on internet either.
That helps. Thank you!

Hi everyone. I have a query regarding duration of intial engagment.
I received an offer as a DEO regF with intial engagment of 9 years. I am looking for a long term career with army but still curious shouldn't it be a shorter duration for DEO unlike ROTP where university tution fee is covered. As per DAOD 5002-1, Enrolment , it is between 18 months to max length of VIE which is 9 years.
Any suggestions would be appriciated.
It is shorter than the VIE for ROTP, which is 13 years.

Back