• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry training.

kyfho1

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been browsing these forums for the last couple of months and have been trying to find out exactly how the infantry training courses are laid out.  A lot of the answers I have found have been outdated and I have since read from other sources saying SQ and BIQ might be compressed together and also that BMQ might be taken back down to 10 weeks from 13 and that the extra 3 weeks would be added to SQ.  And on the job explorer it does not show BIQ and SQ is listed as only 20 days, all so confusing for me.  I have searched for hours upon hours for these answers and have held back from joining these forums and asking this question since I have seen so many people ask stupid questions that have been answered time and time again.

Only I havent found the exact answer for this.

On the job explorer page it says:
13 weeks BMQ
20 days SQ
17 weeks MOC

Is this information 100% accurate and up to date?  If not what exactly are the training courses and how long is each one.

Thank you in advance for any answers I may recieve.

Courses change as requirements change.  The job explorer is as up to date as the staff can make it.  Your best bet is to steel yourself for at least 9 months of training; some courses may not start immediately after each other so you may spend some time in a holding pattern.

This is an outstanding question for your local CFRC if none of the posters here have a definitive answer.

Keep reading and welcome to the site.

The Army.ca Staff

Its a bit outdated on the CF site, but the latest course lengths are:

BMQ-14 weeks
DP1-17 weeks-it was 14 weeks but they changed the TP to 17

For infantry you sq and biq got combined into the dp1 course. Plus you could spend sometime in pat in meaford or wainwright.

Thanks alot, so they were combined as i had been hearing about.
What exactly is pat?
Is that the "fat camp" that they send all the people that fail PT when they reach BMQ?

PAT-Personnel Awaiting Training.  Courses are already loaded.  People that were medically re-coursed.  People that were re-coursed due to disciplinary actions.

RFT is "fat camp".

Things have/are changing for Infantry.  SQ and BIQ were kind of separate.  The first 4 weeks would be SQ which all combat arms had to go through before starting their various trade specific programs.  After SQ, potential infanteers would be awarded their Infantry capbadge.  You would then move on to BIQ which often ran in conjunction with SQ, at the end is where you would receive your regimental cap brass.

My course (ended 29 Sept '08) was the last one that had SQ and BIQ as part of DP1.  The next course (started mid-Sept) has a whole new TP and is supposed to be longer.  Gone is the trench week, and other "cold war training" subjects, but I heard they spend about a month learning urban ops.  Rumours also abound that they learn the AK and RPG.  They spend about half the course in the field.  First couple days are classroom, rest of the week is field training.

Please feel free to elaborate on this or correct it, as most was just what we heard through the grapevine as the new BIQ DP1 was a whole new TP.

Note:  People going to battle school, the NCO's will charge you for infractions.  It isn't like BMQ where you would just get a counselling.

from what i've been told about the new TP is that there are now 5 ftx's, more urban ops, and more ranges.

Yeah, my course only had 3 FTX's due to course being condensed to 13 weeks total, including SQ.  First one was a familiarization exercise.  It was supposed to be like camping trip, but without booze, or campfires, and with rifles.  2nd was defensive, aka trench week.  And our 3rd was offensive and defensive tactics combined into one 5 day ex.  Hardest week for me was CQC, never been a fighter, nor did I ever take anything like martial arts or boxing.  Loved the pugil stick rounds, longest 2 minutes that I havve encountered yet, but didn't care for the rest of it.

Good someone brought this up.

I've been in the militia for 2 years and I'm transfering Jan 09. I got a bypass on BMQ and SQ and am going straight to Infantry Battleschool. It starts 02 Feb 09 and ends 08 May 09, so 3 months pretty much. So I thought SQ and DP1 were the combined? Seeing as I have never been taught the Carl-G, and it would be a good refresher to learn the C9/C6 again. I was wondering should I be asking my clerks about it, and get taught the some of the stuff I need?

Thanks for help in advance.

They only teach the C7 during Reg Force BMQ, so you would be learning all the other weapons systems during your battle school.

Back