• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Officer P. Eng Eligibility

Tebo

Inactive
Reaction score
I am graduating this summer with a B.Eng in mechanical engineering and will proceed to finish my Infantry Officer trade courses over the next year.  I have heard offhand rumors that through some extra-curricular excursions into the combat engineer and EME worlds, coupled with some technology based taskings, it is possible to obtain sufficient experience to qualify for P. Eng status.  My mind is set first and foremost to becoming a reliable infantry officer, however, it would seem foolish to dismiss my engineering background and the potential for such excellent experience.

So the question goes: Is there any credibility to such thoughts?  If so, please advise with respect to any literature or persons I should pursue.

My former CO (a reg force CELE officer) told me that he had no problems for his P.Eng accreditation, because he had an NDHQ posting leading an engineering project.  Apparently some of his CELE colleagues were having some difficulty with the various provincial accreditation bodies (APEO, APEGGA, etc.) because they had "too much field time".  I didn't dig any deeper into what exactly that meant, because P.Eng was still a long way off for me then (and oddly enough, it still is).  If you want to know what experience qualifies towards your P.Eng, talk to your local accreditation body, and register as an "engineer in training" with the organization in whichever province you get posted to.  Good luck.

Thank you very much.  I have heard this school thrown around by different names, nice to lock it down.

Also, it appears I will be on PAT platoon for a few months at CFB Gagetown.  If there are any positions that a graduated engineer would actualy be of use in let me know so I can start working on my OC.

You will not get employed in an Engineer MOC job unless you are such an MOC.  However, I know of officers obtaining a P.Eng as infantry.  You may be surprised what jobs some provinces will give accreditation for.  If you can show a level of accountability in a management job, that may be all that is required.

Tech Staff certainly could not hurt, and you can get a Masters out of it.

I actually sent some questions in regarding military occupations and P.Eng into APEGGA.  The questions worked their way up to the director of registration's office, at which point somebody contacted me and asked for my phone number to talk to me directly.  I provided it (a couple of times), and thats the last I've heard from him.  My questions were mostly fairly general, but some were more tailored to Signal Officer. 

What made me wonder was that APEGGA's experience requirements aren't entirely clear.  Their Supervision component says that EIT's can have someone outside your place of work (if you're not directly under a P.Eng) review your work and have discussions with you.  But then they go on to say that all documents and reports of a professional nature must be reviewed by a professional member who assumes professional responsiblity for the work. 

Back